Planning to have a baby

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Planning to have a baby

Postby helenclaire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have just decided for definite that we are going to try for a baby :-D (that's quite scary actually writing it down).
I have only recently been diagnosed so have not got my medication right as yet. At the minute I am on amitriptyline, but it's not great, so I figure whilst I'm not dependent on the drugs and used to the pain, now is as good a time as any.

My question is, should I carry on taking the amitriptyline whilst trying to get pregnant and then stop when and if it happens? Or is it best to stop whilst trying to conceive? Does it have any affects on how the body operates etc?

This is all very new territory for me. Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks guys xxx
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Re: Planning to have a baby

Postby mariefairy7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi there,

I've had fibro for about ten years but didnt know!! Recently diagnosed in jan this year. I have two boys one four and one eight month old.
I found whilst I was pregnant most of the pains etc went and didn't come back until about six weeks after birth.
I found it harder after being pregnant with the lifting of them fastening buttons etc but if you and your other half are
Prepared for that and work as a team you will be fine.

In regards to meds I'd ask the gp or pharmacist if its ok to carry on taking meds whilst trying for a baby

Hope that helps :-)
mariefairy7
UKFM Newbie

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:27 pm

my baby is ten mouths old.ad i was on the same as u , id say stop it if u can talk to your dr first but im sure he will tell u to stoptaking any meds if u want a baby. i also found when i was preggy my fibro went away till she was 4 mnths old xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby TeeferTiger » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm currently 34 weeks, and I'd advise not being on any meds at all while you're trying. Many of the meds given for conditions such as fibro (and chronic migraines which I have) can cause a lot of issues in the growing foetus. They're also not tested to see how safe they are in pregnancy (for ethical reasons) and so best not to risk it.

Best of luck and enjoy! ;-)
TeeferTiger
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:54 pm

The best thing to do is talk to your GP about meds before you start. They will be able to give you s good idea of what you could take. Plus a med like amitriptyline generally needs to be reduced over a period of time rather than being just stopped straight away as just stopping them can cause additional problems which could be as bad, or even worse than what you might normally experience.

When All Else Fails, Hug Your Teddy xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby helenclaire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks guys for your help. I am now booked in to see the GP and it all feels suddenly real and exciting!

It's good to hear that hopefully the Fibro will lesson during pregnancy, as I was really worried about it being ten times worse. Fingers crossed.

Wish me luck..... :-D :-D :-D
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi helenclaire

Congratulations on the huge and amazing decision you have both made. I'm marrying my OH in August and a baby is the plan for afterwards. I too had the same questions as you about meds as I want to make sure I do all I can not to harm an unborn baby or affect my chances of becoming pregnant etc so you're not alone in your questions.

Glad you are speaking to your GP, I've got a reminder in my diary to see mine in the next few months for "the talk" It all does seem so real and scary when you put it in writing doesn't it? lol

I too was concerned about how my FM woul fare during pregnancy but a few other mothers have posted on here that their pains eased off during pregnancy which is a huge relief. To be honest tho I am just so excited about the whole becoming a mummy thing that the pain probably wouldn't even bother me lol.

Good Luck wth everything helenclaire I have everything crossed for you.

Loulou
xxxx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby helenclaire » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Aaaah thanks Loulou, how sweet of you.

I too am super excited, if a little scared. But it just suddenly feels so right. I'm pretty good at dealing with pain and my Hubby is great at making me slow down, so I think we'll be ok hopefully. Must just remember to pace myself and ask for help.

It'll all be worth it in the end. Good luck with the wedding, have a beautiful day xxx
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:50 pm

You're welcome helenclaire

And thank you for your lovely wishes, getting so excited now lol. It's just nice to have others on here around the same age with the same plans and questions.

Hopefully will see you around on here to keep each other up to date on our nappy news.
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia