Swollen and painful hands

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Swollen and painful hands

Postby penfriend » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:13 am

Dear friends,
I do not think its really a new topic, as read some posts before, but thought I would pass on this information. For months now my hands have been so very painful, and utterly ceased up, and could not hardly type or do a thing. I saw a doctor who said it was carpel tunnel and that I could have injections or even surgery. She made some appointments for me which I could not keep, but managed to keep the one yesterday with a Physiotherapist who was going to give physio and supply hand/finger splints.

On arrival, I found that no appointment had been made for me, despite two letters from the hospital, so they had double booked. My husband/carer and I had an hour's wait and eventually saw the man who was very nice. He did some tests and was very very sympathetic and understanding about my condition of severe M.E and Fibro, which made me want to cry, just to have someone who actually understood and was kind was a bonus.

Well the surprise was that he said I did NOT have carpel at all, and that he would write to my doctor saying so. He agreed it was all part of the fibromyalgia and he greatly sympathised. He even phoned me today to say that another appointment had been made for me in April but that I need not keep it, for which I was thankful. He said he could not touch me in my body because of the pain I was in.

Needless to say, today, it was back to bed all day today, after all the effort, back to square one, particularly as the weather was so bitterly cold and wet, and certainly I would not have normally even attempted to go out. It just goes to show that we should not take what any doctor says as being necessarily true and best to get a second opinion.

Sadly, the Physiotherapist had to agree that he could not help me, but he did say that a clinic was going to start in my area in about 18 months time to help all those with Fibro.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into small paragraphs for easier reading.
penfriend
UKFM Member

Re: Swollen and painful hands

Postby loubie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:25 am

hi,
well done for getting there today :yikes:
my hands and wrists are very painful and they also puff up
i can't get my rings on now :roll:

its lovely to have someone who understands and don't look at you as if your from another planet
it always makes me very emotional :cry:

the weather is not helping us at all :roll:
the steamroller just keeps flattening me so hurty :yikes:

i do find the hand /wrist splints help a little hope they help you :-D
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby Beccie42 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:26 am

Might be worth trying to get referred to a rhumy clinic. They can do some tests to rule out other things too. I have PsA as well as fibro and my hands used to get very swollen and fingers wouldn't work. They treated the PsA and it got loads better. I still have the occasional flare, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.
Beccie42
UKFM Member

Postby tiny229 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:53 am

I have the same problem and went through all sorts of tests xrays and scans .........When I got my diagnosis by the rheumotologist he said my wrist and hand pain were part of the fibro ........occ health have fitted me with pressure gloves and resting splints ...not a miracle cure but they do help .....
tiny229
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:57 pm

I've split your post into small paragraphs to make it easier to read penfriend. There are a few of us on here, myself included, who find they get lost when trying to read a sizeable block of text whereas smaller paragraphs can help keep us on track.

There was some good came from what looked like it could have been one of those frustrating double~booked times for you :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby moomoos » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:18 am

tiny229 wrote:occ health have fitted me with pressure gloves and resting splints ...not a miracle cure but they do help .....

Hey Tiny, did the rheumotologist send you to occupational health for these?
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:24 pm

My hands and wrists don't swell, but I've had problems with my right wrist for years after tripping over in the school playground aged 9, and I hurt my left wrist running into a door at work on December (on my way into work - I couldn't even blame it on being so eager to leave at the end of the day!), and I know from experience that that wrist will never get properly better now. They do seem to be a lot worse in the morning, I wonder if I'm sleeping awkwardly?
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:22 pm

My fingers are so swollen and painful some of it fibro and some is 0/A I have had an appointment at the hospital to have some pressure fitted , so far I have been waiting for these gloves for nearly twelve months , the occ therapist went on hols then was off for 2 months with a bad back in between time I have had a follow up appointment the rheumatologist in January told her I had a bad neck since September very stiff and painful to move she then said it was muscle spasms and would get some physio for me

Three weeks ago out of the blue I got a call from the Occ Therapist to ask how I was doing
not very well at the moment I told her . now we come to the bit that left me stunned " we are very sorry at the way you have been treated but I have just come across the gloves I ordered for you I will make appointment for you " I asked her if she knew when I would be getting some Physio for my neck " i'll look into for you and get back " she did within five minutes " I have booked an appointment for you on the 3 April for your hands , as for the physio I had not been put on the system but you have now ,you will receive an appointment for then both "

Sure enough I got an appointment for my hands but not neck ,this was three days after I spoke to her I got a letter .What do I get on Friday a letter to say that the appointment for the 3 April has unfortunately had to be cancelled and another had been made for 22 May :pull-hair: :

At this stage I was not amused so I phoned the Hospital to find out what was going on , only to be told that the occ physio had another clinic that day and that was the first appointment that they could give me , then asked about the physio for my neck , this gets better "sorry but we don't have any knowledge of any physio for your neck " at this point I was at screaming point :scream-1: ,went through all the story again and asked him to check again ,"just a moment ah yes I can see now it had been put in another file " well then can you make me appointment " yes I will do that you will be put on the list " :scream-1: :waiting:
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby penfriend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 am

Thank you fluppy - for making my long text into smaller paragraphs. I apologise that I did not do that, as I should have done, realising that many must be like me - my brain refuses to read much at one time. Love penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:57 am

hand omg yep its fibro. i had an x ray and waiting till i can feel up to getting blood test , but dr told me its the fibro,he is a great dr for fibro but his heart and soul made out of cardbroad. so no point going thre for a cry lol. still he has been right so far.for me its worse at night soon as i stop useng my hands ,there get swollen and so painful to move in fat the move like a robot jerky.if that :cry: makes sence :-?
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia