Dropping things

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Dropping things

Postby penfriend » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Like most of you, I too drop things all the time, and my hands are swollen and fingers and wrists so weak and painful, but have ascertained from a medic that it is NOT carpel, but the fibro! I cannot do door handles, nor switches,and cannot grasp anything nor squeeze anything. Cannot take tops off anything,not even yoghurt. Cannot write anymore, and yet I used to make cards and write scriptures in calligraphy, but all that is gone. Thankful to be able to still type a little, with many mistakes. The right hand is the worse and, of course, am right-handed. so sorry others are suffering this way too. Love penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi Penfriend

All i can say is snap , could not even squeeze the toothpaste this morning think I will have a go at buying the pump one but will I be able to press it down , sometime I can't even press the deodorant top :roll: and like you totally right sided
Take care x
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby Pepperty » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:28 pm

yup. another one here....dangerous I am! I tend to tell people its carpel tunel when I smash their best mugs :( as people know what it is, no point me explaining fibromyalgia as every single problem I have links back to it and its such a random long list I'm sure people presume I'm imagining it!

I cant feel my hands properly - or my feet? I do officially trip over my own shadow then! My wrists are really weak and my fine motor skills are wrecked, if I reach out for something I normally whack it over :-? I often get shooting pains through my wrists and woe betide if I'm holding something....its a gonner as I jerk violently :oops: Same with my back, thats the one area of pain that never shifts - so I just say sciatica :roll: Sometimes I feel like I've been plugged into the national grid

Whislt we are on the subject, does anyone get spasms? where your hand (occasionally foot) locks in freaky weird position and hurts like crazy? I can only fix it if I grip offending body part and re-align own fingers/toes. Its awful! and really disturbing :( My fingers lock in unatural positions I couldnt form if I tried :cry:
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 am

Pepperty

My fingers do that but not my feet the first two fingers seem to stick together only seem to be my left hand but suppose there time for the other hand to copy it :crazy:
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby sparkles87 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Im another sufferer of dropsy (lol) my phone spends more time on the floor than in my hand lol i just thought i was clumsy as im always walking into door frames, obstacles and dropping things i have been for years and i'm also always falling over
*~*~*~*~*~*~wishing you all a pain free day*~*~*~*~*~*~

lots of gentle hug spakles
sparkles87
UKFM Newbie

Postby LouLou » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 am

My right side is much worse too and I'm right handed........wow that's strange lol. I never used to be like this pre FM, now I just have to laugh at myself. :-D
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby clsmbenn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:18 pm

so pleased there are others who drop things.

i went to put a bowl on the table and it landed on the floor, god knows why it happened. my husband said it looked like i was throwing it, but to me i was placing it. (very unusual).

i have also noticed that i cant open things or i go to pick something up and it takes me a while to grab it.

i have been tested for carpal tunnel and hopefully get the results shortly.

learning new symptoms all the time. what a brill forum this is for info.

thank you and gentle hugs to you all.
clsmbenn
UKFM Member

Postby binty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:20 am

New to this but I glad to read that others drop things and it's considered a fibro symptom. I thought I was loosing it totally. Sometimes I'm don't even seem to be aware that I'm holding something in the first place. (if that makes sense :crazy: ) It's been happening to me for along time. Thankfully I have never done any real damage but if causes me concern when it comes to cooking etc. I try to avoid lifting anything heavy and hot anyway as I find it painful. I also have intersection syndrome in both my wrist, a form of tendonitis which causes weakness along with my elbow and shoulder problems :-? . Oh dear, where does it end for us :?: :roll: .
binty
UKFM Member

Postby jay-jay » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:51 pm

I was diagnosed with carpel tunnel, but i had episodes of dropping things long before i had noticeable wrist problems... Due to several food intolerances, i did elimination diet and discovered that re-introducing butter OR butterhead lettuce OR butter beans caused me to drop things [usually the next day] ~ it's like my sense of touch and / or my reflexes are impaired by those foods, because i'm sure i have a hold of something but then drop it anyway (as if my fingers have a mind of their own) and no other foods do that.
I have looked at the nutrients in these foods and found them so different that i still don't understand the connection ...other than they have butter in their name ~ i cannot get google to explain it, but from experience i would definately suggest you remove those foods for a week or two (withdrawal might involve increaed incidence of dropping things for couple days, but then you might find major improvement), then re-introduce two portions during just one day, and see what [if anything] happens over the next couple of days.
Best wishes, jay-jay

jay-jay
UKFM Newbie

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia