Sprained neck and upper back pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sprained neck and upper back pain

Postby shanmoo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Im in a horrible flare at the moment, and its affecting my neck, shoulders, upper back.
Was told a couple of weeks ago when I could barely move that it was a sprained neck.
Given some exercises in the post from the physio, but they dont help that much. I cant seem to get the stiffness and pain down, and Im that vulnerable that if I just sleep or sit slightly wrong it flares right back up again.
I cant keep taking ibuprofen either, as my guts are now also poorly.
Its causing me to be off sick. Thankfully I already have time booked off today and tomorrow, otherwise it would be the 4th incident in about 3 weeks :(
Work have referred me to occ health, and through that I should hopefully get a referral to their own physio service, however the organisation is being taken over from the 1 April so Ive been told have to wait until the 2nd for them to even refer me to either :(
shanmoo
UKFM Newbie

Re: Sprained neck and upper back pain

Postby shazq » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi
Have you tried things like hot baths, gel rubs, Tens machine, wheat bags, heat pads, hot water bottles? they might help.
If you have a microwave at work you could heat up a wheat bag to wrap around your neck.

Have you asked your gp for stronger pain killers? you should go and see them and hopefully they can swap you over for something that will work. :goodluck1: Hope your pain reduces soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby shanmoo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:34 am

Hi shazq,
Ive tried pretty much everything to no avail, and now its giving me headaches, its really frustrating. I think I need a good massage, but typically the guy I usually go to is on easter hols. He knows about fibro, so I prefer to use him than anyone. Im concerned that Im supposed to go back to work tomorrow, and still getting the headaches as it will all just flare up as soon as I walk in there.
The doctor did give me diazepam, but I took one and that was enough, I couldnt function.
Otherwise Im taking 600mg ibuprofen, which does help a bit with the pain, but its not getting rid of the problem. Think I need a bit of "handling" if you know what I mean. I wonder if its ever gonna get better. The doctor said it can take 6-8 weeks to heal a sprain, only 2 gone unfortunately. And the cold weather is not helping at all!
shanmoo
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi shanmoo

Are you on any other meds for your fibro?

Maybe you need to have a pain review with your gp, as finding the right meds can make a big difference.

With flares some sufferers have bad periods but will then get good periods but others will get an increase in pain but this will become their new pain level and i am one of these, my pain is there 24/7 so you might find your like that as well.

Fibro will also slow down your recovery.

Here is a link of some meds used to treat fibro, you could go through them with your gp.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx

This cold weather always makes us extra achy :( Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia