Gaining Weight & don't know why?!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Gaining Weight & don't know why?!

Postby Moobaloo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Right! I'm declaring all out war on my flabby arse!

Seeing as many of you seem to be having similar problems, I'm sharing with you how I'm going to sort myself out, regardless of what meds I'm on, how little exercise I'm able to do and how little use my doctor has been.

I'm going to be mainly following the GI diet, but last night I found myfitnesspal online. It's a free online place where you can keep track of your weight, measurements and the food you're eating (and any exercise you do), and it works out the amount of calories you need to eat daily to achieve your target weight. I'm going for a slow & steady loss of 1lb a week, so my calories are veing limited to 1500 every day. I walked the dog and it worked out how many calories I burnt. There's an app for your android or iphone, which allows you to update your food diary away from your computer, and even a barcode scanner so you can input foods/calories to your profile with ease.

Because it's online and a 'visual' record of your progress, it helps with motivation (at least that's the plan!). I'll let you know how I get on and I hope it helps some of you too. If any of you join and want to add me as a friend/weight loss buddy, feel free to message me. :-)

Moobaloo x
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 pm

:goodluck1: Moobaloo
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Moobaloo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 am

So, day 1 of using MyFitnessPal to track my calories went really well. I came in just under 1500 calories for the day, because I managed to walk the dog twice & burnt off some more calories haha!

Today, I've switched from using soya milk on my cereal, to almond milk - it has half the calories of soya and it's really nice! Last night for dinner, I had a home-made thai-style sweet potato & chickpea curry with basmati rice, followed by a fat free yoghurt & half a standard bar of Bournville chocolate. My mother-in-law gave us a brand new Tefal electric pressure cooker and it's been a life-saver - or at least a pain-saver! On the whole, you just chuck the ingredients, set for high or low pressure and the time to cook for and it does everything automatically. I can make really tasty curries, sauces and risotto in a fraction of the time and with way less faffing and mess than cooking on the hob. A vegetable curry takes anywhere between 5-18 mins to cook, depending on what I put in it (eg: beans & pulses take longer than potatoes), but tastes like it's taken much longer to cook.

Weighed myself this morning (I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day, but I can't help it ok?! haha!) and I've dropped 3lbs! No doubt most of it is water, but frankly I don't care :-P

I'm finding the app on my phone relatively easy to use and it's been a great motivator to really watch what I'm eating. Did any of you see 'Secret Eaters' last night on C4?? It was scary to see what they were snacking on without realising, though the pie sandwich was both hilarious and horrifying in equal measures! :shock:

Moobaloo x
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi Moobaloo

Just wanted to wish you luck with your new regime, I hope you get some good results! You sound very determined and positive and that's a great way of thinking.

Keep us posted on your progress

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Moobaloo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks LouLou!

I'm finding it really easy to stick to the calorie limit, especially with using the phone app because you can update your daily diary instantly, instead of waiting til later, when you conveniently forget about that creme egg you scoffed :lol:

I'm not really eating anything different to usual, just smaller portions and making sure I weigh my carbs out instead of guesstimating. Tracking the calories is a good motivator for being a bit more active too, because you can 'earn' a treat every day. If I'm having a down day/week, it's very difficult to get the motivation to go out for a stroll, even for only 15 mins, and there's been periods when I've not left the house for days. That's not good for your head, never mind your body!

I've dropped 4lbs since I started, don't end up starving hungry and am feeling positive because I can actually see my progress on screen, even though I can't tell the difference in the mirror yet. If any of you are feeling down about your weight, I really recommend you try using myfitnesspal.com, even if you can't get out and be more active because of your fibro or other conditions. It's really opened my eyes to how many extra calories it's possible to consume, without really realising it, even if you're snacking on healthy foods. It's a positive move that doesn't cost you anything and that you can do completely privately (unlike some slimming clubs).

And there's a maintenance plan once you've reached your goal weight, so that you don't pile it all back on :-)
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby Moobaloo » Tue May 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Just a quick update on my progress:

I've lost half a stone so far & while this is a little less than I'd hoped for, my GP says I'm more likely to keep it off as I've lost it in a sustainable manner.

Either way, I feel positive that I've lost some weight instead of clapping more on! It's definitely enough of a loss to keep me motivated & determined to lose more :)

Moobaloo x
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue May 14, 2013 11:15 pm

:welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: keep it up and you'll soon see a difference :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed May 15, 2013 8:10 am

:chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :welldone: :welldone: :chicken-dance: :welldone: :welldone: Moobaloo, so pleased to hear your update. I know friends who have used that app and also think it is great.

Another friend uses a "Fit bit" to monitor her exercise , this has a two fold effect as she measures the amount of exercise she takes and so can pace more effectivly but also will then change her calorie intake depending on her activity. She has lost all excess weight and now has to make sure she doesn't loose to much.

I just wish there was something that would take my sweet tooth away. I can't be bothered cooking very much and so tend to "snack"

Ideas anyone?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Wed May 15, 2013 9:50 am

:woot: :welldone: Moobaloo

And the great thing is it will be much easier for you to maintain as your GP said you did it the sensible way. I'm so glad you are seeing a difference as there is nothing worse than doing the hard work and seeing no change. Keep up the good work!

Iceskatemum wrote:I just wish there was something that would take my sweet tooth away. I can't be bothered cooking very much and so tend to "snack"

You and me both ISM. I tend to crave something sweet after my dinner so I've started to keep some of those small tubs of ready made jelly in the fridge. They do a sugar free version (which tastes no different to the normal one) and there are hardly any calories in them and they satisfy my sweet cravings quite well.

It's just sometimes that yummy Galaxy bar in the fridge tends to call me very loudly sometimes...................Its not my fault lol.
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed May 15, 2013 10:56 am

Oh Lou if only it were that simple , I have the muller lite all ready to go and then its like this haze decends and takes me over.

I come around with the biscuit crumbs just lying there as evidence that I have raided the biscuit tin instead . I swear its not me that does it ,..... the sugar monster just makes me do it !
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:58 am

well i give up trying to lose weight. nothing seems to help i was always slim .and tall. im still tall lol
i feel hungery alot to. im going to see my dr soon after blood tests come back and see if i can get something to help me stop feeling so dam hungry
ive gone from 11 stone to 16 ! so your not alone this post could go on foreverxxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Wed May 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Iceskatemum wrote:I come around with the biscuit crumbs just lying there as evidence that I have raided the biscuit tin instead . I swear its not me that does it ,..... the sugar monster just makes me do it !

Lol mine's the chocolate monster, wonder if they are related.........
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Moobaloo » Thu May 23, 2013 9:52 am

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all your support, it really means a lot! I've got an extremely sweet tooth, but I have to say that I have managed to eat something sweet every day, but because I am very careful to keep the food diary up to date (I enter what I've eaten as soon as I've finished eating it!) it is easier to eat chocolate/cake/biscuits in moderation. Also, the less sugar you eat, the less you crave it - or at least that's what I've experienced.

I get my chocolate fix by having something small, like a Cadbury's fudge, and having a low cal Options hot chocolate (because it actually tastes like chocolate, unlike some which taste like dishwater bleuggh!). After dinner I have an Alpro chocolate soya pudding, which is a bit like chocolate mousse without the bubbles and is high in protein, low in fat.

I've lost 10lbs now! :woot:
An inch off my hips, over an inch off my waist and my jeans no longer feel tight :D

Because I eat a mostly vegan diet as well as suffering with the fibro/me, I did a bit of reading into vitamin/mineral deficiencies and decided to start taking extra b12 & L-Carnitine to see if they helped with energy levels. I'm still waiting for the b12 to arrive in the post, but I've been taking the L-Carnitine for nearly 2 weeks and it has definitely helped boost my weightloss, which had levelled off somewhat (it helps your body metabolise body fat for energy) & I think it's helped with my energy levels too, though I'm still quite up & down from day to day depending on what I've been doing (or over-doing!).

I am in no way saying that this is a magic pill - I am still on a strict calorie limit of 1300 a day & eat a very low fat vegan diet, with hardly any processed food.

Anyway, if you want to do something about your weight - you CAN do something about it. Im happy to buddy up with any of you if you need some support, just message me :)

Moobaloo x
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Thu May 23, 2013 10:38 am

:welldone:

and it shows that with willpower and in taking your time to loose weight
it is possible, slowly and steady

again :welldone:
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby moomoos » Thu May 23, 2013 5:32 pm

LouLou wrote:
Iceskatemum wrote:I come around with the biscuit crumbs just lying there as evidence that I have raided the biscuit tin instead . I swear its not me that does it ,..... the sugar monster just makes me do it !

Lol mine's the chocolate monster, wonder if they are related.........

Mines both.......so they must be related!!

Well done tho Moobaloo, sounds good what you are doing. I wish I had the will power to join you xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia