Sleeping ALL the time HELP

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sleeping ALL the time HELP

Postby shrimp » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:18 am

Hi All
I havent been on here for a long long time - but wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions for me ?
I am sleeping all the time - diagnosed about 4 yrs ago suffered pain etc for 6 yrs, have all the usual all over pain, then one area hurts more for a minute/day/week etc and goes and then somewhere else hurts more etc etc - have weakend hands and painful feet.
BUT the exhaustion has taken over big time - have previously had the lack of sleep where nothing helps and when do sleep still feel like truck ran over me. past 6 months or so the tiredness is totally ruling my life, i have 6yr old twins who are missing mum as as i am unable to do much with them. I get up and hubby helps shower/dress me etc, after breakfast on a better day i take kids to school (drive) then pop in sainsburys and do bit of shopping, come home, sit down and thats it - asleep on settee for hour maybe 3 hrs but when do wake up feel like slept for about 10 mins, takes me ages to revive, i might then have late lunch and then again asleep, hubby picks boys up cos i am trying to revive....altho pain kicks in really bad 5pm ish i have more energy then (should hope so all that sleep!!!) and want to achieve then what i didnt during the day but pain so bad i am unable !!! usually bed mid night and sleep quite well now but again wake up rough as hell about 7am
why am i soooooooo sleepy - i take 20mg citolpram, 8-10 tramadol, started back on butrans patch 10mg (sleepiness before patch) so unable to blame that...have given up my slimming club, and very easy light yoga club as unable to manage.
pre 6 months ago if i had a better day i would keep going as much as i could all day and 2 days later be in bed all day from overdoing it, but not getting chance to do anything.
is it the weather? any help please - driving me mad - as mad as no sleep driving lots of you mad...is this now my life !!
thanks and off to be bed....shrimp xx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Re: Sleeping ALL the time HELP

Postby relf1960 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:16 am

hiya. i am on 2 fibromyalgia groups and know 2 other ppl with this, and no one except me has ever mentioned being like this, till i read about u. ive been tired my whole life and had to fight it, but it was the fatigue and anxiety that made me leave my job and go on esa, then the pain part. imsomnia and every thing else followed.

i have had spells lasting upto many months at a time, where ive only spent a few hours each day awake, and after eating n poss watching an hr of tv ive had to go back to sleep again. i actually found this preferable to the insomnia though, where id lie awake for hours on end, too tired to even watch tv, yet unable to sleep still.

over the last few months my sleep has stabilised, but i go thru periods of being nocturnal still, like now its 5.41am. but i sleep when i need to, or i get overtired and then cant sleep, and thats when i get all sorts of funny stuff going off in my head then. but over the last 3 yrs since getting this. i have lost a lot of time to 'sleeping my life away'. im lucky in the respect my children are older, so it must be awful for you trying to raise twins.

i now can stay awake for about 12/14 hours at a time on good days. i find that to do that, i need to stay in bed in the morning till i wake up myself. thats not wake up for a wee etc, thats waking up when ive had 10 to 12 hrs sleep. this is because fm sufferers dont get the same quality sleepas they should do. we dont go into the last stage of sleep where we should get the best quality of sleep.

if i had to get up at 9am, i wouldnt go to bed at 9pm, cus that dont work for me. if i did id have 3 hours and be up. my best sleep is in the morning when i should be up. i dont know why. but i do know if i dont get it my sleep routine breaks again. so i refuse morning appts and try n make them as late in the afternoon as poss. also, i only take my anti depressants (ive been on 15 yrs for anxiety, but dose was doubled when i got fm) and my acid/stomach tablets. thats paroxetine and omeprozole. for pain,if in agony i use a gel and parecetomol, and ive a deep tissue massager which helps too (only an expensive one works properly, about £100+). many pills make u feel worse.i didnt get on with those i tried, and manage well without them. when ive told ppl who have fm that its the fatigue that stops me working more than the pain, they think im crackers. so its reassuring that sum1 else suffers like me.

when u do feel tired,try and do something cus sometimes it can pass. i have purchased some bulbs that are supposed to help. i didnt think they did much, cus when i first had them i had several weeks when i slept most of day. but now im wondering if they have helped, cus like i said ive been alot better than i was over last few months, (though of course thats not constantly).these bulbs are newish n u use them instead of the lights u buy for SAD, seasonally affected disorder. i bought 5 for £20 off ebay, and leave it on all day. its to give u the vitamin d you would get from the sun. get a vit d blood test done too, and if its low u can have special medication. a vit d defficiency can be thought to be fibromyalgia, so hope thats what u have instead. let me know how u get on. i hope ive helped.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby shrimp » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:20 pm

hi thanks for your comments - glad i am not only one to sleep away life.....but today i have stayed awake and got quite alot done, maybe as the kids off for 2 weeks now i slept in till about 9-30am and took time getting up/wash/dress etc, wherease normally up 7am and more rushed (well rushed for me !!) so that few extra hours done me some good, totally done too much today and will have extra pain tomorrow/or later day but at least its because i did something !!!! and can handle that...
its def fibro had loads tests, scans, electric tests, mri scan, xrays etc etc, my vit d levels always been low so take prescribed tablets for that....had bloods other week and all normal....hahahaha...
it feels like my bodyclock is upside down !!!. sorry you had to give up work cos of fibro, i worked until 8 weeks before twins came and would love to have gone back but the fibro hit after c section and here i am 6 yrs later wondering where life takes me next, was 42 last week and celebrated it asleep !!! others try to understand but don;t how wonderful they say that you can sleep all day - if only is was!
after i did bits today i layed on my bed windows open listening to birds sing and that was wonderful !! anyway ebay has 4 days free listing and got lots stuff to get rid off - only do it to give me something to keep brain ticking over !!! and extra few pound helps pay for endless twins wants wants wants !! but royal mail post goes up tuesday and horrendous amount ie something that would cost £2-20 will now cost £5-20 if its over 8cm depth !!
well i am really happy and pleased with myself today....tomorrow who knows !!!
thanks again for taking the time to reply to my moans.....shrimp xx
I like to make people laugh xxx
shrimp
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:14 am

ive gone back to not sleeping again. cant win. on days im good i find myself grinning like the cat that got the cream. how stupids that? im saying to myself, ooooooooooh, who feels good today? yes wendy, a good day for you, well done. lol. im actally praising myself for being well! like others would if they saw a miracle happen. im going crazy, lol
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 pm

I had this when I first started with FMS (didn't know that is what it was though) and I have been fine for years (with the sleepyness), then a few weeks ago it hit me like a freight train. I thought is was to do with the amitriptyline and to a certain extent it was but I seem to still be excessively tired now I have reduced the dose. I get into bed and I can't sleep but then in the mornings I can't wake up. God I wish life was more simple. x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby viannecarr » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:36 pm

I used to do that and had blood test to find my iron levels were low and since takening iron tablets and its has helpt a lot,good luck
viannecarr
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Could it be the tramadol, your citalopram is at a low level but maybe combined is causing you problems :-? :-? :-? :-? best thing to do is visit the docs and get some advice :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: and :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby chookie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:12 am

I had Tramadol a few times for pain in my feet but they made me very sleepy and my tummy a bit upset too. I soon ditched them as I didn't have pain all if the time and saw it as an extreme way of taking painkillers. You unfortunately have pain worse than I experience, so maybe you could try something else instead.

I had a bout of sleeping nearly all of the day for several weeks and I got out of it slowly by pacing and then eventually not sleeping during the day. I think that the more you sleep, your body wants to do more of it and then it's hard to get out of the habit.

Try doing something for 10 minutes and then have a sit down, read the paper with a cuppa and then go back to finish it off. You might then have the energy to see your little boys and have time to play for 10 minutes at a time between resting. The time can then be lengthened to 15 minutes, 20 minutes etc..

It took me a good month to get into the swing of things and my body did adjust to the new routine. I can go hours now but I can't abuse it or ele I will feel the wrath of it all :lol:
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 am

me again, for the last 3 days ive got up at 9 or 10am n in bed about 11pm, sleeping through. thats me being normal again. its great, but i know it will only last a short while despite me always telling myself WRONGLY OF COURSE that i'm better,lol. still, im prooved wrong in no time. it lasted 6 weeks once, followed by weeks of sleep, but it was a breath of fresh air while it lasted. x
relf1960
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia