Advice needed please!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Advice needed please!

Postby hpno1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Hey, I have always wanted to be a midwife so have applied for a course at university, I've had an interview and should hopefully hear soon if I have been successful.
My only problem is I'm not sure if I am going to be able to cope. I already work I maternity as a Health care assistant so I know the hours are long and challenging and I struggle doing my 30 hours a week.
If I go to Uni I will be doing 37.5 hours a week plus having all the essays and assignments to do which will stress me out, ultimately causing flare ups :(
I have always said I wouldn't let fibro take over my life but now I have to properly decide whether I should risk my health and go to Uni or rethink my career path to something that isn't going to make me poorly.
Please help me if you can.
Thank you
Sophie x
hpno1
UKFM Member

Re: Advice needed please!

Postby denys » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:59 pm

Sophie have you spoken to the Uni's disability advisor, they can arrange for you to get a bit extra help even if it's a bit longer on the deadlines for essays etc. If your tutors and advisor's are aware of your health problems it could mean the difference in you completing the course and getting a decent grade to you making yourself ill and being unable to complete.

Dont let the fibro spoil your dreams, you have a chance. but in the end only you know how much you can do, so I suppose my advice is get all the information together, look at all your options and then decide, but in your shoes I think I would give it a go at least then you will know you didnt give up without a fight :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby LouLou » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:52 am

Hi hpno1

I agree with everything Denys has posted. I don't think you should let FM take away from your ambitions and dreams but ultimately only you know what your body can and can't do.

My mum has always taught me and my sister to try anything once, you never know until you try. If this is something you really feel passionate about then do what denys has suggested and have a chat with the Uni's disability advisor - you never know what allowances could be made to help you achieve your goal.

:goodluck2:
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi Sophie

Give it a go, you will be forever saying what if if you dont :hugs:

You are bound to find it hard but you might be able to cope with it, you might surprise yourself, see what the disability adviser can help you with. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby masonsbarms » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:48 pm

hi sophie i agree with the others that you should go for it get any help you can and see how you get on,

im sure you will give it your best shot but if it dosent work out there is other things you will be able to do

its very hard i know i have had do change alot of things in my work and i thought of it as failure but now i see it as presevation and i still have alot to offer the buisiness but just not as much hands on,

good luck with what ever you do.

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Advice needed please!

Postby Bexbexbex » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi, I went to uni a few years ago before I got diagnosed and ended up leaving after a year due to ill health ( was doing my nursing degree) I now know this was FM. I am applying to college In sept to start over and complete my degree but what I'm going to do is inform them of everything and hope they can help me do my course and assist me with college/health

Fingers crossed for you xxx it's an amazing rewarding career path :) xxxx
Bexbexbex
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:37 pm

give it a go , if u cant cope u will always no u tried your best . and who knows u might just get on fine . if u dont try your get bitter later in life and feel robbed. at the end of the day u no your body and what it will do and what it wont.so its up to u dont beat yourself up if u dont do it. but were alll hopeing u do get your dream xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby charley » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 am

The amazing thing about university is if you find you have some kind of problem, there is almost always someone there who will find a way of helping you, whether it's just someone to listen to you having a bit of a rant, or if it's helping you get support with assignments, like deadline extensions. You get the assignments quite a while before the deadline, so you can always take your time with it.
I've found that going to lectures etc doesn't really effect my flareups too much, and my lecturers and my tutor are actually really good about it when it does happen. When you meet your personal tutor for the first time, if you speak to them about it, they will usually find out what they can do to help you and what the uni can do to help you.
Give it a go, it can't do any harm. You will probably regret it if you don't.
charley
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia