puppy, flat and fms

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

puppy, flat and fms

Postby buxbunny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:52 pm

I been given the go ahead by the misses we can get a puppy but i had a few questions as first time owner and fms sufferer.
I was doing a google search when i realized you guys have alot of pet pictures and also have fms unlike google.
I've always wanted a dog and my mums been dead against it but now i live away from home i can make the rules!
The changes to dla and esa and sorting out our finances mean we can afford it which was her main argument against it.

The setup
Theres me my partner 2 kids 3 and 6 month. live ground floor flat and back door leads to "communal garden" but really just grass that surrounds the building in an enclosure. We just put laminate wood flooring downstairs less than month and upstairs dirty old carpet thats been abused by my daughter so no lost there. I'm housebound due to weather and fms and my partner housebound as my carer.

I want puppy between husky/labrador/retriever with STRONG leaning to labrador.

I know a little but no true expierence so advice would be helpful.

Also how do you deal with walking dog and fibro.
I dont want my benefits taken away because i tried be proactive and get exercise walking the dog as right now get none and as a former gym rat before fm it gets me down. My previous hard work becoming muscle wastage and flab.
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
buxbunny
UKFM Member

Re: puppy, flat and fms

Postby babajane32 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:12 pm

FMCS,diabetes etc etc..have three children's,two with ASD ....have a very old lab that's grown up with my children.....total outlook.....golden lab is less energetic than black and brown, had hers as a rescue at 18 months.....far less hard work than the puppy stages, she's grown along with my children, is a very good dog,no problems,no chewing etc etc, doesn't run underfoot and never has, been highly therapeutic for the kids, for their learning of how to respect animals and people and is totally one of the family......however. Definately would never get one from a breeder as most labs have genetic problems especially allergies due to inbreeding, so I would never encourage breeding them. Also the effort quite puppies and small children especially with fms is very very hard work and can be stressful. Consider a rescue or similar maybe? However we do always sadden that we never got the puppy part of her life.....but definately proven a great thing in our house, both for children and company. Xx
babajane32
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Been online a bit too long, so not going to say an awful lot, but I will come back to this when I'm less foggy and :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm owned by a springie, she's been with us since being 8 weeks old, so hopefully there will be a bit of something in my ramblings that might make a bit of sense.

Before you decide which doglet is the right one for you, look into each and every breed you are considering in lots and lots of detail. You need to consider the size they will grow to, exercise requirements and types of exercise they need, it's not just about walking and free running time, you also need to consider mental stimulation and training, as it is when a doglet's mind is bored that things like chewing and destruction can happen.

There are also health problems with the doglet that need taking into consideration, not just things like vets fees, insurance etc but also things like known conditions (labs often have hip displacia, some goldie lines can have bowel problems) You would also need to give very serious consideration where you will be getting the doglet from. It's very easy for a backyard breeder or puppy farmer to pass themselves off as a decent an caring breeder, have all the right answers to everything you ask them, only for you to discover a little further along that the doglet has come from lines that have been over and interbred and has many health problems of it's own. A decent breeder will have had every possible check made on their doglet, right down to the genetic level an will be only too happy to show you all this info so that you know the one you choose will have the best possible chance of being a happy and healthy waggle~monster.

Somethng else to consider is if you could cope with the house training, obedience training, classes etc that come with a puplet, as it involves a lot of disruption, mess and loss of sleep at first. Just throwing that in as there are lots of wonderful doglets who have find themselves in rescues thru no fault of their own that might be an alternative for you. The older ones tend to already be trained, and just want a happy furever home of their own.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Spange » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi,

I don't have a dog, really really want one but decided it would be too much for me as I live alone and would be unable to walk it every day. I wish you luck in finding your perfect dog and maybe when you get him/her, you can share some photos. Why not go to a Rescue Centre? There are so many dogs out there needing a Forever Home. They are also neutered and microchipped, so that is one less cost for you to deal with. More often than not, the dogs are already house-trained and just want a loving home. A rescue centre would be my first choice, rather than buying from a breeder.

I would hope that you would not be punished for trying to get out and get the exercise. As long as you are not holding the leash (on a powerful dog, especially) and have your walking aid, I doubt there would be much they could say about it. It's awful how we live with this fear and black cloud hovering over us all the time. Huskies are quite powerful and energetic dogs and a lot of the time, having previous experience of owning a Husky is required. Labs are lovely, but also strong, with a tendency to be greedy lil piggies, so the twice daily walks are very important.

Make sure you research any breed as there are health issues to be considered.

Taking your dog to a training class will help as it will help the dog burn off some energy and provide it with mental stimulation.

Sorry I am not much use but I wish you luck!
Spange
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi,

I got a black labrador from a rescue centre and nearly fainted at the size of him when they arrived :yikes: 7stone he is :yikes: solid as a rock.

Positives I found for myself was...

Made me go out for a walk once a day no matter the weather and how ill i was. I found walking the dogs very theraputic / helped my stiffness and found friends along the way.

Lots of cuddles/love and company

If i was unable to go out i had a partner who walked him or i used to sit in the kitchen and throw a ball down the garden loads of times as garden was over 100 foot long so at least he got some form of exercise.

Very loyal and bright dogs.

Negatives i found...

You need them trained completely because any yanking on that lead can seriously cause problems. A few months after i got him he see a man throwing a ball for a small boy... he wanted to run and catch it and yanked the lead so hard the muscles in my rib cage went into spasm, the cartilage inflammed and i was bed bound nearly 6months :yikes:

You have to be in total control of this big dog as you are responsible for anything they may do so you need the strength to be able to handle them in situations. For example... a staff came up to us without a lead on and coller :evil: my dog felt threatened as this staff was tryin to jump on him. I had to have the strength to stop my lab from getting out of control as the owner of this staff said * if you dont sort your dog out im gonna punch him in the face* :yikes:

Cleaning up huge mounds of poop :shock: all that bending lol.

Labs follow you everywhere and i found myself trippin up over him all the time :roll:

Luckily back then when i had him i had full support by my ex hubby who would help me walk him and care for him so i could have him.

Now tho after the split i am myself in a ground floor flat and the housing association do not alow dogs. I wouldnt be able to control and look after him now on my own as i have become worse over the years.

Big dogs need a big garden to be able to run around in.

Also if you have a baby and small child the whip of a big dogs tail in itself can knock you flat over, this in your case would be very harmful to your children. There solid dogs and when there running around can knock your kids flyin also. An example...
My lab was excited my friend had popped over, he bolted round and round the garden and in and out of the house all excited. He flew into the kitchen knocked into my friend which took her off her feet and split all her head open :yikes:

Personaly my advice would be a small dog not a large breed because of your health / flat / and children.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Pipsie » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:45 pm

I'd go for a whippet or something that sprints, not a hunting dog like a terrier or lab, etc, because they are easier to exercise. IF you're not feeling up to it, a few goes of fetch- like use a tennis ball and bat or golf club to really send it off- will exercise them well. Whippets are also good dogs in terms of liking the P and Q, and being dead affectionate. They're great with kids, and will go somewhere else rather than get naffed off if the sprogs are being a bit loud. Plus they're short haired which means less hoovering/allergies/smell. They also aren't that vocal. So no barking at the shadows!
I have spent my life with terriers but for us they are too much, into everything, challenging, mad, barky, Unless you get a really old one but for a young family having a pup/youngster than will be with the family is really the best. I will never for get Bea, our dog as a kid. Airedale terrier, the cleverest, dumb-ass dog ever. So sweet, protective and kind but huge and mad and stinky. I loved her! Hunting/working dog bredds are lovely but for a quiet, chilled, easy to exercise dog look up whippet or if you fancy something bigger a greyhound. Plus there are loads of rescues, and it is sooo rewardin rescues really do bend over backwards to try and please. I love having mine round her little face, is all soft and stuff. Oh and get a girl dog, I find they're easier, more understanding of the kids, and they don't have their junk hanging out all over the shop :p
Good luck!
:)
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby buxbunny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Thank you very much for the insight.

I've had my heart set and endless childhood dreams of a gold/black/yellow lab and the possibility of taking it off the list kills my enthusiasm, but i understand completely what you're saying that's why i was leaning towards puppy It gives it time to grow with the family... i dunno how long they take to get big. :-?

I did have a stray for a day on two occasions where ran away from it's owner called Rocky but have now idea what breed he was but i loved the way he'd jump on me every time he saw me and would lol when saw little cherry.

I think training would be good as it not only disciplines dog but also owners and could teach my daughters a few life lessons. lol at 3 years old.

My partner will do most the heavy lifting and days i'm down.

I would like to take on a rescue but i don't know what kind problems it come with especially young children but maybe when they're older i can try. Also I'm terrified all stories dogs mutilating children but i think down to owners as i have seen why some owners treat the more "agressive" breeds.

I feel less excited now/ :-?
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
buxbunny
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:46 pm

As you can see, there is a lot to think about with this, it's not something that can be gone into on a whim as it's a log term commitment for both you and your family and the doglet. And don't think that we're trying to put you off the idea, there are many things that you need to bear in mind, esp where little peoples and illnesses are concerned.

Puplets and small peoples don;t always mix well. The puplet will go thru a bitey, nibbly stage, partly because of teething and partly because of their age. The nips are very sharp and it's a little'un's natural reaction to squeal out loud and start waving arms abut and moving around. As the puplet will not understand this, they will probably take it as a sign of wanting to play which can escalate things further. As well as getting the puplet trained and knowing what is right and wrong, your kiddywinks will also need to be trained so that they know what they should and shouldn't be doing where the pooch is concerned, and training children is often far more difficult than the training the puplet :dogrun1:

You shouldn't be punished by the system for having a woofer. The "OK" for us getting one effectively came from a therapist I was seeing at the time who said whole heartedly that the benefits I could get from being owned by one could more than outweigh what most meds could give me, and it is across all my various files about the doglet and being essential to help with exercising as part of managing my conditions and problems.

What you would get from all the hard work needed with the doglet would be repaid over and over and over again by the unconditional love that a happy furbaby can give you, not just doglets, but all happy animals can make a huge difference to the huu~mons they own :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

This has probably given you even more to think about on the subject. If you can, sit down and write down all the thoughts and questions you have. There maybe some that we can help you with, but there is also a lot of info on the web. Most of the breed~specific rescues have their own sites and are more than happy to answer questions about the breed in general as well as give you info about any dogs they have in their care, as they sometimes have puppies as well as the older ones. There are many forums as well, some are general or may have boards for specific breeds, as well as breed specific forums, so there is plenty of places to find out all that you need before you make your final decision.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fletch » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:51 pm

The best friend you can ever have but it rips your heart out when their gone

A puppy will need loads of walks so if your not up to it don't get one
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Not all rescues come with problems, some of them have ended up there because of changes in family circumstances, not because they are a problem dog, and most of the people involved with these places are completely honest about the doglets in their care. They wouldn't just let you take a doglet after looking at it in it's kennel for a few mins. They usually suggest going to see the doglet a number of times, during different parts of the day, taking the doglet out and getting to know them, not just alone or with your OH, but as a family to see how you all get on together. What you have to remember is that no doglet is 100% perfect. Even if you have a puplet, there could be elements of the puplet's nature than can cause problems, such as being nervous or timid or easily spooked by things. Their personalities and foibles are as varired as ours can be, but when the right doglet and right huu~mon find each other, these things can be worked on and managed and lived with.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:59 pm

And just before I :dogrun1: off for tonight..............

A puplet doesn't necessarily need lots of walks, in fact over exercising a young dog can lead to jooint problems later in life. The thing people tend to work on is five minutes for each month of the pup's age twice a day until the dog reaches maturity. And that doesn't include training or playing or anything. Plus 5~10mins for a training session can be more exhausting for a dog than an hours free running as it is working their brain, which takes a lot more energy up. Several of these training sessions thru the day, as well as lots of praise and love and rests (both huu~mon and puplet) all go towards a very happy and balance friend fur life :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:29 pm

Labradors dont stay a puppy for long! within months there a hefty size and weight but in some parts of the country you can get smaller slimer labs. My bruno is huge!

They grow so quickly :yikes:

Training your lab from a pup upwards is a great idea but this does take alot of effort / energy and hard work as i tried this myself but a good start.

Labradors are so soft and soppy and there breed is to hunt or work. Iv never come across a labrador thats attacked anyone or read anywhere. There temprement is lovely although in many situations were the dog has attacked is mainly the owner not the dog itself.

Labs do get very excited and jump up alot , this again needs training. labd respond well to disaplin and training but very hard work.

They do like there food and any chance they will whip away any food around for a munch :lol:

A puppy takes a lot of work also, all that toilet training, chewing, biting, and jumpin around and trouble with labs is all this still carries on at a huge size as they grow so quick but are still a pup.

I got mine from the labrador rescue centre.

They visit your home and match you with a dog but you cannot see them until they arrive which is why i got such a shock at the size of bruno as i didnt think labs were sooo big :crazy: not all come with problems. Bruno came to me as his owners work commitments ment he was alone all day up to 12 hours.

They dont tell you too much of ehy there up for homes as this can sometimes put people off. So in a way it is going into the unknown.

After gettin bruno within 2 weeks i had to take him to the vet as it was easy to see he had never been walked so his legs were in pain from the exercise. His ears were a mess and stunk, awful infection and his skin was greesy and smelly. Took 5months to get him in shaoe again.

Rescues need loving homes and people who have the time and energy to be able to look after them but very rewarding.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:26 am

Congrats for thinking about getting a dog for you and the family ,always think pets can teach our children so much about life and respnsibilites.
Like other more knowledgable folk have said you have to be very careful of which breed you get and even within breeds there are some fluctuations in size etc. With this in mind always try and see a puppy with its mother as then you get an idea of full grown size, temperament etc.

Good luck with the "find a dog project" hope you get something soon . Don't forget to let us know how you get on .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby tonydin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:52 pm

first does the landlord allow pets ? whith a comunual garden there will be a lot of issues ,, how far do you have to walk befor a sutibial exersize place can be found . dont get a lab or retriver and on no account a collie or husky these are all working dogs that are not sutiablle for were you are, i would also advise agianst a springer , but some of the other spaial breesd may be ok , i think you need a small terrier cross type for your cicamstanses , which can be loverly dogs.

i can lend you a collie that still cant be let near strangers even after hours of work and theripy and enough exersize to trian for the dog olimpics if it existed . so you can come unstuck when your experianced, let a lone a first timer , by the way flup roseys down to 3 hours now berfor she accepts someone new which is a big jump forword , she ,d still go for you at the first meet though
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi Bux

I must say that being owned by my doglet has been an absolute joy. Ours is a rescue, border collie cross lab and she is big and strong and so loving. I struggle to let her walk me all the time because of how strong she is and how excited she gets so my OH does share this with me. On bad days just just knows her "mummy" is hurting and she is so gentle with me and will cuddle up for hours with me.

There are so many factors to consider when deciding about getting a pet of any sort. The other posters have put a lot on here already so I don't have much more to add. I just wanted to add my own positive experience of being owned by a doglet.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia