Costochondritis, help!.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Costochondritis, help!.

Postby gibbo82 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:12 am

I'm just wondering how common is this with people suffering from fibromyalgia?

I've had rib and sternum pain now for years, and as each year goes on the pain seems to be getting worse!. Wondering if anybody is suffering with the same sort of symptoms?.

The main area, is upper left breast, and sternum area, even in the side of my ribs. the pains range from stabbing, to shooting, sometimes if feels as I've i get zapped by a bolt of lighting, comes out of know where. Applying pressure to my chest, and sternum can be also very painful always feels as if my chest is bruised. I really don't wanna start taking NSAIDs for the pain as I also suffer from gerd and I think they will just cause more unwanted symptoms, so I was just wondering has anybody got any tips they can share? Any advice or home remedies? Any foods or diets that can help relieve symptoms?.

Regards

Lee x
gibbo82
UKFM Member

Re: Costochondritis, help!.

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:26 am

Hi,

Very commen associated condition.

I think each of us have our ways of helping the syptoms.

I personaly have a physio come regularly, she also works on my rib cage/sternum by stretching each muscle inbetween each rib and also front of my chest she works on and also my back as it tightens like a band.

I apply pain relieving gels, for me freeze gel works better. apart from anti-inflamms i take a muscle relaxant for my stomach which helps me breathe and lessons the sternum stiffness called spasmonal for my GP. Its an IBS spasm tablet but also helps costo for me.

Eatin little and often because as soon as your stomach bloats out it can put prssure on the sternum causing more discomfort.

breathing exercises can help.

Stretching exercises may help.

i also have an inhalor when my breathing and tightness gets too much.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby tessmcg2012 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi
You could be describing me. Its horrible, and can get scary sometimes. I wish I had suggestions for you, but its one area that has never improved for me. Really really tender for the last three years, and getting worse. Am hoping Capsaisin, or Montmoreny cherry juice might help, though haven't started either yet. Keep us posted if you find relief, I will do the same. Gently does it!!!
tessmcg2012
UKFM Member

Postby Picklepudding » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:09 pm

I was just reading through a few posts (as I'm a newbie - actually trying to convince myself that the rheumatologist has got it wrong!) and I saw this post. I regularly suffer from costochondritis...I've been to the gp a few times convinced I've got a problem with my heart as my chest hurt so much. He pressed on a certain spot on my sternum/ribs and asked if it hurt there, at which point he was peeling me down from the ceiling! I didn't know this was associated with fibro...yet another symptom that unfortunately fits the pattern :o(
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 pm

I have only had it after bronchitis earlier this year, thank goodness it was only the once. My ribs hurt when I have massage at college and get worked on by other colleagues, I must go back to the chiropractor who will click them back in again after all the coughing I did. It does work and they don't hurt half as much afterwards.
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed May 01, 2013 4:27 am

gibbo82,.........thankfully I do not suffer from this symptom. It sounds horrendous. I hope you find help soon in elieving your discomfort
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby julia1red » Wed May 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Yes to all that so glad I'm not alone been to drs so many times as I get so scared, I now have it in my jaw it's so painful my life is spent on painkillers and early nights :(
julia1red
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Julia, costchondritis affects the sternum and rib area due to the cartilage in that area being inflamed. It's another seperate condition that is often associated with FM.

The problem you have with your jaw will more than likely be something else, such as TMJ with is yet another associated condition :facepalm: :facepalm: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/temporoman ... ction.aspx To find out what it definitely is, a trip to your GP will be needed, with a possible trip to see a dentist if TMJ is suspected.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby jo_jo789uk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:44 am

Hi all,

I had a chest infection close to two months ago and I have been putting my rib pain down to that.

However the pain has been staying consistent and if it was a pulled muscle it would be getting better.

Plus the areas that are hurting are not around the muscles in my stomach, it is more the rib cage and sternum. It is uncomfortable to lie on my stomach because it feels bruised.
“Perhaps it is our imperfections that make us so perfect for one another!”
― Jane Austen
jo_jo789uk
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia