Blue Badge

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blue Badge

Postby PhoebeCat » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi. Although I have only just registered on the site, I have actually been following posts very carefully since finding the site a few months ago. I was diagnosed with Fibro nearly three years ago although I have had the symptoms for much longer and I can understand what you are all going through, in one form or another. I have also had Labyrinthitis for nearly two years and I'm diabetic.

What I wanted to ask is, has anyone with Fibro, got a Blue Badge for parking and if so, how hard/easy was it to get one? Its very rare that I go out theses days but on the very rare occasion I have been in to town or the supermarket, by the time I have walked from the car to the entrance of the supermarket or to the edge of the shops, I have walked enough and have to go back to the car. I'd be interested to hear what anyone has to say. Thanks
Last edited by PhoebeCat on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Re: Blue Badge

Postby clubsound4 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 pm

hi, Im actually going through this process now,just sat filling the forms in, you have to be in receipt of high rate dla and it costs 10 pounds for the badge,, have just applied for the bus pass,,they take your photos there and then(they do in our council offices) hope this helps(I know there are other ways to get the badge but this is how I am applying) good luck
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby 123rachelf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Ive had a blue badge since late last year, I applied online but there was no cost with my council and I don't receive DLA, hope that helps x
123rachelf
UKFM Newbie

Postby PhoebeCat » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 pm

123rachelf wrote:Ive had a blue badge since late last year, I applied online but there was no cost with my council and I don't receive DLA, hope that helps x

Can I ask. if you are not in receipt of DLA, how did you qualify? Did you have to have any medical or have a letter from your doctor etc?
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:57 pm

I've had mine since October 2012 and it cost me £10.00 for the badge because they are supposed to be tamper proof.And also i got my Bus pass which is vaild for three years.

My brother in law told me he had to have a medicial because he wasn't on the higher rate dla. So didn't bother getting his.

So if you apply for you blue be aware the some council charge and saome don't.. My council is Leeds City Council...

Good Luck !
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby Miss Painful » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:39 pm

I have had a Blue Badge for about 6 years. I was assessed by a Physiotherapist, who looked at my medication and the way that I walked and she helped me get my Blue Badge. If you are on the higher rate of DLA you automatically get a Blue Badge if you ask and show proof.
Hope that helps.
Gentle Hugs :goodluck2:
Miss Painful
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 am

i found out recently that pple who dont claim dla have also been getting a blue badge from there council. i dont know if u need a letter from doctor, but few ppl said they got it.x
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 am

A blue badge can be got automatically if you are on a number of specific benefits , or there is the high rate mobility component in your DLA award. Thirdly if you are not on HR mobility DLA, you can fill out the Ble Badge form accompanied with evidence (in the form of a letter or report)from your GP highlighting your mobility needs.

The easiest less hassle free routes are probably via certain benefits inc. DLA but the last option is there just so folk who don't meet the restrictive nature of DLA are given a means of also trying trying for it. There are many who recieve a blue badge via the third option so don't give up hope.

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby mumstheword1954 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Hello and welcome to the club. My council don't charge and I have had a blue badge since being diagnosed back in 1997. If your not getting mobility then they should just write to your GP and ask for a report or if they support your application. It,s a god-send, I had all my benefit taken from me and I still have my badge. Chris x
mumstheword1954
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm

My GP printed off the forms and filled her bit in and signed it then i finished it off.

GP tho didnt print off newer forms so i ws called in.

I saw this lady and she asked me a few questions but this was mainly to fill new forms out.

I dont drive tho, it was for me when mum or friend took me out.

I have a bus pass also which again GP signed and sent a letter in with application form to council. I got 5 years.

If your on High rate mobility all you have to do is send in a copy of your reward and you will get a bus pass.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby FinkyDink » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 pm

I have one from when I was diagnosed with Menieres. Now I'm wondering if the dizziness and tinnitus associated with menieres is actually some symptoms of fibro, so when I renew my badge in 2014 I will see what the doc says.

I applied through the council and they contacted my doc. I think I paid about £3! I am not in receipt of any benefits but it was a simple procedure which took about a month.

Good luck, it's really helped me get it when I've been in pain, and helped me maintain some of my hobbies such as visiting race circuits and being able to park in the paddock so I don't have to walk so far. It also helps with my anxiety as I know I'm always going to be able to park.
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:37 pm

I had a badge a number of years back and it was done by my GP filling out forms, I know now you can go to your local council and they sort it for you, you don't have to be in receipt of DVLA. I am kicking myself I didn't renew mine, I didn't realise at the time that I was simply a remission period, not that I had got better. x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 am

dont forget folks, that by having a blue badge u can get loadsa benefits. u can apply at cinemas for a pass where u get a person in free who goes with u. it costs about a fiver n lasts a year. if u like concerts including comedians as well as singers etc, u get to sit in disabled seats, great view and a person going with you goes free. u can get money off train travel for your friend travelling with u too. this person is known as a carer. so anywhere u want to go, just look into there disabled section n c if theres any thing there to help u out. x
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby Cybermum » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:20 am

Those who got their GP's to print off a report for your badge application. Did your .GP charge you? I needed a letter from my gp for the housing office as we want to apply for council housing. But if we request a report for 4 of us explaining our disabilities and illnesses, they want to charge us £40 each person. Obviously we are now applying without any help from our .GP as we certainly cannot afford that. So I know my gp will change me £40 for report for me to apply for a blue badge.

Thanks

Jo
Xx
Cybermum
UKFM Member

Postby PhoebeCat » Sat May 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I have finally had a letter today to say that I need to ring up and make an appointment for my Blue Badge Assessment. The letter says it will take around 10-15 minutes but can anyone tell me what I should expect at the assessment? What type of thing do they ask or what will I have to do? I always get myself worked up for anything I am not used to, so any help/advice appreciated. Thank you
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia