Blue Badge

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Blue Badge

Postby FinkyDink » Sun May 12, 2013 5:34 pm

No my doc didn't charge and I didn't have to go for an assessment.

Being a blue badge holder isn't the same as being registered disabled, so some of the benefits for the disabked won't apply if you just have a blue badge.

However, it's really made my life a lot easier. Some places dont charge blue badge holders for parking either!!
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Postby laurar1991 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi I was diagnosed with fibro in December, I am twenty-one and was wondering about applying for my blue bagde. Like most of you I have my good and my bad days but my bad days are only getting worse.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the blue badge application is affected by age or if I should just apply just now and see what happens?

Hope everyone is having a good day.
laurar1991
UKFM Newbie

Postby FinkyDink » Tue May 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Go for it. I very much doubt it's affected by age.
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Postby laurar1991 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks FinkyDink,

Might as well give it a go, nothing to lose!
laurar1991
UKFM Newbie

Postby PhoebeCat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Just thought I would post an update as I went for my assessment yesterday and after a lot of questions about my health, problems and needs, I was told straight away that I qualify for a Blue Badge. You cant imagine how much that means to me and what a difference it will make :-D
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Brilliant news, it should make life a little easier when out and about :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby PhoebeCat » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Apart from trips to the doctors, I havent left the house since before Christmas because its just been too difficult. By the time I have been able to find a parking space, they have always been too far away from where I want to be, so I would turn around and go back home, so I stopped going out.
PhoebeCat
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:53 pm

This is a sham. Anybody needing a blue badge takes a test! n so passing that test proves u have disability probs in there eyes. Yet dla says u don't. It can't b both ways. If your rich n don't want to claim money I understand just going for the badge. But it's a pretty poor state when we get the blue badge n not the money when we need it. So there happy to say ur disabled as long as u don't need money. Makes me sick! U lot should fight the system like I am till I get what I need and deserve.
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Relf, this isn't a scam. Blue badges can be applied for by those who don't qualify for one via DLA etc. They have to pay a fee for theirs, whereas it is free for those who qualify for it via benefits.

Like all claims, if the person assessing the application feels there is sufficient info and evidence for a decision to be made without the need for an assessment, then they will make their decision accordingly. However, if it is felt that more info/evidence is needed, then the claimant will be asked to undergo an assessment, with the findings from it being used to help decide whether they will be granted the badge or not.
relf1960 wrote:pretty poor state when we get the blue badge n not the money when we need it. So there happy to say ur disabled as long as u don't need money. Makes me sick! U lot should fight the system like I am till I get what I need and deserve.

The applications for a Blue Badge where a fee has to be paid tend to be assessed at a more local level, whilst the ones that are issued with benefits are dealt with on a more centralised basis, so it's not really a case of being able to have the badge because you don't need money, but being able to have the badge because it is needed.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:44 pm

I get DLA high rate mobility but still had to pay £10 for the renewal of my blue badge think its local councils discretion but as Flup says definitely not a scam
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby HazelB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:01 am

In our local council area you pay a £20 admin fee whether you qualify automatically via dla, or whether you have passed their assessment criteria
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia