1st and 2nd sleep = normal

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Sorry if the title seems very vague but I have just read a report in the BBC magazine online which suggests that it is more normal for us humans to have 2 distinct times to sleep . Rather than the one long 8 hour period we are now told is the norm.

It seems that there are accounts from many areas of science and history to show that humans will enter at night into two distinct patterns of sleep. The first sleep is when you try for sleep and is usualy about 3-4 hours long , then there is a wakeful period for a couple of hours and then another period of sleep often refered to in books or historical literature as the second sleep .

An african tribe even calls certain time of night first sleep & second sleep just the way we would have morning or afternoon.

Seems what we thought was disturbed Fm sleep may be more normal that we frst thought. I know I never get the full 8 hours I will usually sleep for a few hours then be up and about and then fall fast alseep again for another 3-4 hours .

If you want more info on first & second sleep th rest of the article is

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: 1st and 2nd sleep = normal

Postby PennyJ » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:02 pm

That is exactly how I have slept for many years and always thought it was abnormal. Now perhaps I will go to bed tonight and not worry about waking for those 2-3 hours in the early hours..
PennyJ
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi
I used to sleep a good 8 hrs a night pre fibro, i used to get so grumpy if i missed out on my sleep but now i will only get around 4 hrs even on sleeping pills. :shock:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 pm

it seems with industrialisation and the increased use of artificial light both at home and in the town it caused folk to stay up later and rise earlier. They then "compressed thier sleep pattern from what it had been when we went to bed with the sun or close after and rose with the sunrise.

Seems facinating that this has been known about for ages but has fallen out of fashiion in more recent time. Might as PennyJ says stop people from fretting about thier own sleep pattern. Don't get me wrong those of us with FM probably still don't get enough of the area of sleep that is needed for us to heal and rejuvinate our bodies but it might be worth thinking about.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Very interesting ISM

Like Shazq I used to happily sleep 8 hours a night pre FM, never had problems sleeping before FM but now I just can't sleep a whole night through and have interupted sleep most nights.

I think that these days there is so much pressue on people's daily lives that a lot of people are suffering with lack of sleep and as you said ISM artificial light/environmental influences etc can affect how we sleep. As fatigue is one of the lovely FM symptoms add this ontop of no quality sleep and you have yourself a zombie lol :shock:
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Gromit » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:06 pm

From what I understand about fibro sleep it's the fact that we don't achieve deep sleep, the sleep that let bodies and brains recover. Even if you slept all night, if you have fibro you won't get down to the stage 4 sleep, we hover in the first and second stages, dipping into the third. Without this forth stage sleep we don't get the proper rest.

I have read that about the 2 sleeps and it makes sense. Apparently people would sit up and read or write letter or pray in that bit of the night, then go back to sleep again. But us fibro suffers could well experience this but also never get that stage 4 sleep which is what causes us all the problems.

It's interesting though isn't it, how this knowledge just seemed to disappear xx
Love from Grom :) xxx
Gromit
UKFM Member

Postby pinky1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:10 am

This is good to read. I seem to somehow function on 4-5 hours sleep a night. I use the word function loosely. Being a single mum with a toddler leaves me no option lol. But my sleep problems started 11 years ago, long before fibro started.
X
pinky1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia