Do I have to notify anyone?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Do I have to notify anyone?

Postby lolo73 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:33 pm

I was just thinking about my car insurance etc should I notify them of my FMS diagnosis? Is there anyone else I need to notify like DVLA ? :-?
lolo73
UKFM Member

Re: Do I have to notify anyone?

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:28 pm

From memory it seems others on here have asked this question in the past and it seems most insurance companies don't worry about the Dx as it is not one that appears on the DVLA list.

To check other threads just pop insurance into the search box at the top of the page and you hopefully will get a more informed answer.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:36 pm

I think its more the medication you might be on and the effect that might have rather than the FM diagnosis
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Gaia » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 pm

According to this, fibro is not even listed, so not a notifiable condition, but you might want to check with your GP regarding the medications you are taking and whether they affect your driving.

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

I notified my insurance company, but they said it was not relevant unless it is listed on the link Government list of notifiable conditions - which it isn't.

Happy driving :-D
Gaia
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Last time I saw the pain consultant, she said I was fine to drive whilst taking big doses of Tramadol, I was doing without if I had to drive, especially my evening dose or inbetween as and when doses. I have checked the DVLA website as advised and it doesn't list FMS or any of it's elements that I suffer with, so I know I am on the right side of the law x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:56 am

lolo I agree with the others, it is more to do with the effects from the meds you take. Even if a few of us take the same meds it can affect each one of us so differently so it's best to use your judgement as you know yourself how you feel and if you are able to drive the journey you need to.

Since FM started with me I no longer drive for longer that 10-15 minutes as any longer than that and I struggle and don't want to put myself or anyone else in danger. If I feel too unwell to drive I simply don't.

Hope that helps.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia