Oh dear...memory loss

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Oh dear...memory loss

Postby chookie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:52 am

Oh dear, my short term memory is shot. I am at college training to be a Complimentary Therapist and my case study clients are booked in my diary... the thing is... I write down what i think I hear and take in but it turns out quite differently. They turn up when I am unaware and they don't turn up when I am expecting them.

I am sooo hammered from all of the information going in on a daily basis that my poor head can't keep up. I have a hard copy diary for all of the dates and what's going on and I can't even get that right :crazy: :roll: :lol:
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Re: Oh dear...memory loss

Postby LouLou » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:25 am

Hi chookie

Yep I'm the same. I'm only 29 and before FM I was so organised, never forgot a date or anything. Now my diary is with me constantly and my phone calender is full of reminders. The times it's gone off at random times to remind me of something has made me and OH have a bit of a laugh.

I even have to set reminders to get bread out the freezer etc. I've found that the more worked up I get about this happening the worse my memory gets. So I try and stay calm and get people to repeat things back to me so I can make sure that I've got it right.

But I still make mistakes and we are only human so don't beat yourself up about it chookie.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby chookie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:28 am

I got up early this morning to treat a client for Reflexology only to find out that she's booked in for Monday.... back for a snooze me thinks :snore1: I'll get there... one day!
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Chookie, when you're speaking to a client about an appt could you record what is being said so you can go back and double check things when you're checking who will be in and when etc???

Most phones have a sound recorder function or there are downloadable and free apps, and there are dictaphones, even some answerphones have a record call function. You'd probably need to let clients know about recording calls and why, but might make things a little easier for you.

I'm another one who used to be so organised that a military campaign looked like a farce in comparison, so the change in the opposite direction really affected me :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Now I have a number of things I do to try and help with remembering....my phone and certain apps are an essential part of this, so is the calendar on the wall where everything gets written on. I also have specific places in each room where things are put so I know where to look for them.

Like Lou, the more worked up I got about it, the worse it got for me, so now I just try to go with it and stay as calmish as I can. It's not always easy to do, and working on the basis that if something doesn't work out as I wanted/hoped/needed was and is still a difficult thing to do, but it's something I have to do to try and keep myself going.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:31 pm

i dont work now but i do now how u feel my daughther had her freind over for a sleep over and do u think i could remember her name .dam could i .i forget some dam silly thing does my head in so how u copy idont no xxxx hugsxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia