what is the weirdest thing that helps you?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

what is the weirdest thing that helps you?

Postby lala1626 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:50 pm

last night i was in agony with my legs, no reason for it as we had a chilled out day went for a meal and not a right lot else so wasnt exactly strenuous. however at around 7pm my legs were getting more and more painful to the point i was nearly in tears.
i asked my partner to gently massage my legs by the difference in pressure in his hands his fingers felt like they were digging i and hurting me..... the weird thing is we were having a bottle of beer each and when he finished his he decided to roll the bottle over my legs so to make sure the pressure was even and om my god it worked and made me relax my legs and the pain very slowly drifted away to a dull ache instead of huge huge shooting pains up and down both legs.
i know thats really weird thing t think of ding but it really did work.
what else does anyone do or have found that is weird but helps you??

lauren xxx
Be nice and smile to everyone you meet.
You don't know what they are going through.
They may need that smile,
and treasure it.

Don't ask how I am unless you really want to know the answer!
lala1626
UKFM Member

Re: what is the weirdest thing that helps you?

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Not weird at all Lala , sounds like one of those massage rollers you can buy so in using the beer bottle you just saved your self at least £20 ....good one.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby tessmcg2012 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:22 pm

I feel ur pain. Not weird at all. An even and gentle massage - better than fingers and thumbs. But I have to say, I cannot drink beer anymore. Even one bottle and I feel like I've been hit by a bus. even Non alcoholic has the same effect on me. And also any dish with MSG, renders me close to immovable. Do these things affect you?

Two weeks ago I started taking Cherry Active juice and capsules. I do feel like I have more energy and less pain. Whatever works! If a bottle gets the circulation going and reduces pain well CHEERS!!
tessmcg2012
UKFM Member

Postby lala1626 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:57 am

haha thanks its always good to save a bit of ££££ i thought a rolling pin would do the same thing??

i dont drink at all usually but my OH stopped drinking with me when i was dx so he does get a craving for some beer every now and gain i only ever have one though as any more than that does make me feel really uncomfy (even more than normal :shock: ) and so tired i cant keep my eyes open, (starting to think that a beer a night would make me sleep but dnt think its a good idea.)

i dont think MSG affects me but to be honest iv never thought about it so i may be something i need to look into.

xxxx
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi Lala

I've heard of that before, my mum told me her friend rolled rolling pins on her legs or rolled small glasses under her feet when she was in pain, but I haven't actually tried it myself.

I have aromatherapy massage once a week which really helps me (though not very strange lol) so I think this could possibly work for me too. I'm giving it a try when I get home lol.

I have had what you described though, one minute you can feel ok and haven't done very much and the next you can feel the pain build and build. I get a lot of pain in my legs and feet too like you and it's brought me to tears on quite a lot of occassions.

I'm afraid I don't have anything weird that helps me, all the usual painkillers, hot baths, water bottles etc. Though I have started taking a magnesium/calcium/vitamin D suplement which has helped stop me having restless legs.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby lala1626 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:05 pm

i have found more over the oast few weeks that every night im getting really restless legs, it feels after a few seconds of my legs being still it feels like iv not moved for hours! so im constantly moving them (drives my OH mad bless him) i end up sitting on the other sofa on a night when my legs are like that so i dont keep kicking him! :oops: :oops: :oops:

iv heard that magnesium can help with certain things i think i have some calcium and vit d tablets somewhere but wouold it make a difference if it doesnt have magnesium in it??
xxx
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 am

Hi lala

Yep restless legs are a right pain and it feels like if you don't move the pain just builds and builds till it's unbearable. It's the strangest and scariest thing I have ever felt.

I take supplements from a range called Osteocare and they do a variety of tablets with different vitamins. The one I have been on for the last month is the Magnesium, Vitamin D and Calcium one and so far I haven't had restless legs (fingers crossed it stays that way)

It's entitrely up to you which supplements you wish to take, just check that they are from a reputable company and not tampered within any way and check with your GP/Pharmacist first to make sure you are ok to take them. I decided on the ones I am on because of an article my mum had read about lack of magnesium/calcium/vitamin D in the body can make pain worse. Though I haven't felt an actual improvement in my pain levels, not having restless legs for a month is a very welcome outcome lol.

Hope that helps
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby chookie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Calcium needs magnesium to be absorbed but magnesium doesn't get absorbed until the evening. You'll find these two together in one tablet from from your local chemist, take them before bed for cramps.
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:21 am

just wrote onto another thread

wired stuff that helps me

- scarf around my neck to avoid the hot cold sweats
- "WOOD LOOK, MEDICATED BLM, WONG TO YICK" few drops in hot bath relieves most pain for about 15 min after bath and stops the sweating after the bath

http://www.chineseherbs.org.uk/formulas ... ucts_id=79

all the best
Lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia