what medication can you take when pregnant or none at all??

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby lala1626 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:56 pm

me and my partner are starting to think about having a family of our own, i was just wondering what other peoples experiences were with being pregnant and their pain levels and if they are allowed to take any medication or not?
thanks for your replies in advance.
lauren xx
Be nice and smile to everyone you meet.
You don't know what they are going through.
They may need that smile,
and treasure it.

Don't ask how I am unless you really want to know the answer!
lala1626
UKFM Member

Re: what medication can you take when pregnant or none at al

Postby dawn8574 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:31 pm

I was wondering the same thing I would like to have another baby but I have been told I would have to come off my medication to have a baby which has put me off a bit :(
dawn8574
UKFM Newbie

Postby lala1626 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:32 pm

i know that quite a lot of ladies with fibro, when regnant the pain goes away for a while...but what if it doesnt, do we just have to deal with the pain and fatigue of fibro on top of the pain and fatigue of being pregnant aswell?? xx
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby lrgatrell88 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and feeling ok at the moment. The first trimester was rough and I'm now in pain with my back but that's because I fell over, ended up in a&e etc etc.

Apparently it is safe to take cocodamol and paracetamol, I'm not sure what else. I try not to take anything if I can.

If possible see your local pain clinic. Im in essex and my local hospitals pain team are really good. I have acupuncture from them every 6 weeks. They can also advise u on what meds you can and cant take throughout.

Xx
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm

my fibro went away while i was preggy. so does make me wounder if hormons are behind it all lol. anyway best not t take anything if u can help it , i did have paracetamol and codine .i guess it comes down to weather u want a family or weather u want fibro to rule your life .hugsxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:50 pm

The best thing to do Lauren is to talk to your GP about your plans and see what they have to say/suggest. Depending on your current cocktail, you may need time to slowly reduce and come off some of them, plus with you planning the pregnancy, there may be some additional supplements that you can/need to take to get your system in the best shape possible for conceiving/pregnancy.

The pain clinic is also a good option to explore, there may be therapies/treatments they can suggest/provide to help make things more comfortable thru the months. For quite a few women, pregnancy can make their FM feel a lot better compared to their usual levels as well.

There are a number of posts about pregnancy on here, try using the search box in the top right hand corner and see what comes up. Try to find out as much as you can about all possible scenarios to give you a good idea of what could happen, then hopefully when things start happening for you, as you'll be armed with your info, it will help you manage things in the best way possible.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Staceyb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi there,

I have a 3 year old and 9 month old and although I've only recently been diagnosed I've had symptoms for 6 years and when I was pregnant it was like a fibro holiday. The first trimester was the hardest because of dealing with nausea as well as coming off any meds but I found my symptoms almost went and didn't start coming back for at least 3 months after. Another lady I know had exactly the same experience. I did take paracetamol but not codeine as it doesn't agree with me but I have also been told that its best not to take codeine near the end of pregnancy as it can make baby drowsy (not sure if it is true). Also if you do have problems pain wise, you can see a chiropractor right up until you are ready to pop.

You should go for it because no matter what having a little one is worth any pain and discomfort xxx
Staceyb
UKFM Newbie

Postby lala1626 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 am

thankyou for your replies!!!! :-D :-D
i have a friend who is a midwife and i have had a chat with her about labour and the options etc so im pretty lucky to have her to talk to, i have spoken to my gp about it a few times and all he says is to have a chat about it as and when we decide firmly to go for it.
we have already done a test to see how long it would take to come of my meds and i have actually got down to taking only 2 tramadol on a night before bed to get me through the night with duloxetine and zopiclone every now and again to help me sleep so i dont think it would be too difficult to come off them completely.

it seems that the answer to all our problems is to have zillions of kids and just be pregnant constantly!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi lala

and the other ladies who are also thinking of trying for a lickle one soon. Me and Oh are in the same point of our lives and would really love a lickle one but had the same concerns as you guys did. I can really feel it if I am even an hour late taking my pain meds so I dread the thought of stopping completely.

I'm actually seeing my GP tomorrow for my 3 monthly review and it's on my list to ask him what I should do.

Keep us posted Lala as it's nice to see a few others in the same position as I am - don't feel quite so alone now.

xxx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 am

Just been to see my GP for my review and thought I would post a bit on what he said about pregnancy on here as it may help someone else.

Me and my OH are getting married in August and want to try for a baby in the next few months. I am currently on co codamol 30/500mg and Tramadol 50mg 2 of each 4 times a day. I asked him about trying for a baby and if I needed to completely get all the painkillers out my system beforehand. He said I should aim to cut down to just co codamol over a 6 week period and then reduce my co codamol as taking the dosage I'm on now while pregnant could mean the baby is born dependant on it and that's a really bad and painful thing for babies apparently.

He said I should aim to take just paracetamol and the odd co codamol every couple of days and that would be ok. Now this really scares me as I can really feel the difference in my pain levels when I am just an hour later taking my dose so the thought of cutting down to just paracetamol really does make me go :yikes: but I really want to me a mum so I guess it's something I'll learn to cope with and the end result will be so worth it.

Seems trying for a baby won't be very straight forward for me (flippin FM lol) but I won't give up and I'm determined to get there lol.

Good Luck to all those also wanting to try for a lickle one I'd love to keep chatting with you about how you're finding things along the way.
xx
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby lala1626 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:01 pm

hi loulou thankyou for your update, it does clear a few things up, i am the same as you i think part from the getting marrried part (congratultions!! :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: )
i guess it really is an individual thing this fibron and everyones different.

big hugs
xxxx
and treasure it.

lala1626
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:51 am

Hi lala

You're welcome and thank you. Good luck to you and your other half :hugs: it's a huge decision to make and I have never been so scared lol but I know that the outcome will be worth whatever pain and discomfort I have to go through to get there.

Look forward to reading about your progress
xx
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby lrgatrell88 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Good luck with trying for a baby :-). It's worth it all. X
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Postby joboulton74 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:54 pm

hi good luck guys and congrats, i am in process of receiving ivf well at least on waiting list which was hard as only way to lose enough weight was to come off pregablin, which i am no longer on. I am under a pain clinic at mo and before start ivf i need come off tablets especially tramadol, amitriptaline, butrans patch, pregablin is the start i am slowly decreasing tramadol at mo and amtriptaline. Since lowering them i am in constant pain and still rest come off all pain killers as most them will damage or kill the baby before given a chance.
I am wondering is there alternatives, suppliments such as aloe vera maybe or any other natural remedy which can take or help during pregnacy as well, i hope this helps some ppl and if any 1 has suggesions alternatives let me know also, good luck everyone and gentle hugs xxx
joboulton74
UKFM Newbie

Postby lrgatrell88 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Good luck with the ivf :-). I'd ask the pain clinic for any alternatives that they can offer. Mine offered acupuncture. And although they can't do certain points in pregnancy it might help still. It is me.
I'm now also doing physiotherapy it's early days with that one but fingers crossed it might help.
Before getting pregnant ( and for the first few weeks before I found out) I was using so much ibrufen gel which is another no no.

Hope you find an alternative that works for you. X
lrgatrell88
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia