Difficulty talking anyone?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Difficulty talking anyone?

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:11 am

I have been having a difficult time recently and am experiencing more stress and anxiety than usual and meeting new people, not always on my terms.

With fibro fog, I have always forgotten words,couldn't manage to remember the word for something but with my new stresses my speech has at times got so bad not even my hubby can understand me.
Its like I have a massive stammer but as I've forgotten either the word or even the sentence it comes out a babbling mess.

Anyone else get communication problems on top of everything else?
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Re: Difficulty talking anyone?

Postby linoak90 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:43 am

Hi there
I get that all the time but it is much worse when I am tired or stressed so I'm in for a great day today as I have only slept for two hours lol. Hope your stress improves.

Love to all
Lin. X
linoak90
UKFM Member

Postby Graygirl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 am

Sometimes I get so tired that I lose the power of speech, and my words just become a garbled mess - then I shut up! At other times, my mouth will spasm, so that it actually jerks to the side and my teeth clash together - to the point where I get worried about breaking a tooth. These things are usually only a bother if I've pushed past my mental or physical limits. It's very frustrating, though, and I do feel for you. :flowers:
Graygirl
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:37 am

oh yes i got that to why i think i might break my teeth , and yes if im having a flare i just cant remember words or i just cant get them out my mouth.its very upsetting. i haveto go in town soon and it going to kill me .
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby cameron1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes, this happens to me a lot. I often know what I want to stay......I just don't seem to be able to get the words out.

The slurring or stuttering is more embarrassing.....especially when people presume you must have been drinking! That's what happened to me at xmas when we were at my inlaws. They all thought I had must of had a few too many when in fact I hadn't touched a drop!

I find it tends to happen when I'm really tired, really stressed, or when i've got a lot going on.
cameron1
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:53 pm

ISM you are so not alone in this.

Since FM hit I have become quite a home body preferring to stay in a rest, or sometime snot having the choice but to stay in because of the Fibro. I used to be so socialable and able to meet new people, hold conversations etc but now well that's a different story lol.

I sometimes sound like I'm drunk when I haven't touched a dopr, I get my words mixed up and can't finish my sentences and this makes me get so anxious and self conscious about it in front of people. Even if it's family I get so embarrassed.

But I did find that the more I got worked up the worse it got. So now if I feel the anxiety start to build I take a few breaths, try and clear my head and start again. Some people do still give me the odd look but if it's just someone like a shop assistant or someone I won't see again I don't bother trying to explain, let them think what they want.

I also find that being in a social situation and talking to others really tires me out too. I mean how can siiting down and having a chat make me want to sleep for a week? lol

Flippin Fibro!

Hope you're ok ISM. Sending you :hugs:
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks folks for your posts, its horrible to say but glad I'm not alone !

Within the family I will forget words/ have them on the tip of my tongue just generally have a delay to my speech but as I said recently its become more dramatic in the last few weeks which in itself has then become worrying.

Don't you just learn to love this illness ........what else will it throw at us just when we got use to what we've got!
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi ISM

I used to be an outgoing person, i worked in shops so was always talking to strangers but since having fibro and giving up work i can no longer hold a conversation with strangers as my words get mixed up, i forget what i wanted to say then it all comes out wrong, i get so embarrassed and worked up that i prefer to stay at home now.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby holmess » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 pm

I tend to find my speech is really bad when I'm exhausted, can't find the words and when I can, I haven't got the energy to say them. So frustrating :crazy:

Take care all x
holmess
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:49 pm

I tend to find that when I'm tired stressed, upset etc that the power of sensible speech deserts me quicker than the proverbial rats from the sinking ship :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: And like others have already said, it has had a rather profound effect on how I am. From being able to talk to virtually anyone on virtually any level, even including facing down stroppy customers who always thought they were right, I'm now barely a shadow of who/how I was pre~FM.

I struggle to speak to people I don't know or barely know, and end up just sounding like a gibbering loon, even when asked a pretty basic/routine question. In my mind things sound OK, but by the time things start to get to my mouth, it just seems to be random letters that come out. And as for remembering stuff that I want to talk about, well that really hit me last year when I realised just how much I couldn't remember about my favourite things :f1-car: :f1-car:

It hasn't robbed me of all my essence tho, altho it has tried repeatedly to get that last bit.......my nortyness :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: When I start to lose what I'm saying, providing my brain will function enough to do it, I'll throw in the most random word I can :shock: :shock: :shock: Some of the looks I've had are priceless, but when I explain what I've done and why, it often helps diffuse what can be a very :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: moment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LouLou » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:15 am

Like Fluppy and holmess I find my speech also gets worse when I'm exhausted it's like it's too much effort to talk lol.

I just try and stay calm when I feel my speech going a bit awol, take a few breaths and start again. I have blamed this on so many things, "I'm having one of those days" "I'm not with it today" etc usually whoever I'm talking to will say that they know what I mean. Saves having to explain about FM.

Fluppy I highly doubt anyone or anything could steal your nortiness ;-) ;-) ;-)
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby yummyhunnybunny » Tue May 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Oh yes, this has happened to me today I put my strange speech down to stress! I tend to stutter [which I have never done in my life before till I got Fibro] or nothing comes out of my mouth and I look like a fish gasping for breath! and most of the time when I am with my Husband he knows how to finish my sentences.....suppose that comes with the territory when you"ve been married 36 years! Although when I meet someone for the first time I feel they think I'm stuck up [I'm not] I just can't find the words to speak to them ..... I have had in my working career two very responsible jobs and I wonder how I ever managed to hold either of them down and cope with the unpredictability of this condition. I suppose it'll be something else next week so it keeps me on my toes if nothing else. To everyone else who runs out of words :goodluck2: J.x
yummyhunnybunny
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia