Coming off amitriptyline

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Coming off amitriptyline

Postby BellaH » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 am

Morning - I've just been to see my gp about stoppo h taking amitriptyline. I'm currently taking 50mg once a day at night time. She has told me to start taking 25mg every night for the next 4 weeks then reduce it to 10mg thereafter until stopping.

I am quite nervous about the side effects and if I not rely on this drug. I was hoping to use any herbal remedies instead. I'm not liking the effects that amitriptyline can have on my heart and body. I'm just not a liker of taking pills but I ave a feeling that I will need to start taking it again :-(
BellaH
UKFM Member

Re: Coming off amitriptyline

Postby yummyhunnybunny » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:40 pm

I've been off Amitrityline for three weeks now I only took ,at the most, 20mg at night and I gradually weaned myself off them... I felt that being able to function without feeling like a zombie was far more important to me than having pain.The tablets and all the others I had been prescribed had done no good for me they did'nt lessen the pain and I worried that I would be doing more harm to myself than good. I know Fibromyalgia is not going to be life limiting so I thought here goes.....I feel more alert and alive than I have done for years, I still have pain but I try to pace myself....The pain is not going to rule me... I am going to rule the pain! .I still have my bad days but I feel a whole lot better for not filling myself with chemicals! .I had been holding down a full time job in Primary School and looking after my ill Mother when I was put on these tablets, although I'd had Fibro for 26 years! that was the first medication I had been offered!! I have since lost Mum and retired so a lot of the stress that I had has now been removed. I know that I only took a small dose but I had started to rely on them and felt panicky if I forgot to get my prescription! I am trying to fill my days with plenty of short walks with my dog, baking and catching up with the things I could'nt be bothered to do when I was in a 'daze' :-? with the tablets......I know that medication affects different people in differing ways...but this has been my experience so far. Good luck I hope you find you can do without them.
yummyhunnybunny
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 pm

hi ,,,,

I've only be on amintriptyline at a dose rate 30mg at night only..

And i can safely say this medication is one of the best i've had for my fibro and my osteoarthritis, and i take 200mg Pregablin 3x a day, Mst continus 15mg 2x aday with 30 mg at night and Oramorph for when i can't cope with the pain. So you can see what pain i'm in . Up until i took this i hadn't had a good night for at least 20 years.

Karen
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi Bella

I used to be on amitriptyline as I was having trouble sleeping. My GP put me on it to help regulise my sleeping patterns. I then had to come off it slowly like you. As long as you follow your GP's instructions to cut down slowly you shouldn't feel any negative side affects. It's only when you just stop that can cause really bad side affects.

When I came off it slowly I never felt any negative side affects ad it had in fact help regulise my sleeping pattern. Even after being off it for over 6 months I've found my sleeping is still much better than it was before.

Hope that helps.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:52 pm

I agree people react differently to medications. I have not reached a level of not being able to go med free. I have however stopped taking many of the drugs prescriptions I was taking over the years. It can take a long time, trial and error to find what works for you.

I hope everyone finds a level of comfort, so that they can have quality of life, with or without mediication.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:57 pm

whoami wrote:I have not reached a level of not being able to go med free. I have however stopped taking many of the drugs prescriptions I was taking over the years. It can take a long time, trial and error to find what works for you.

That's great whoami that you have been able to cut down on your meds. When I was first diagnosed I was on 4 different painkillers but now I'm on just 2 (weaned off with GP's help)

I also agree that the effects are different for everyone and there is no shame in having to take meds for pain at all.
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Lou Lou......great name, that is what most of my friends call me.

23 years ago when this all started I was taking over 8 different types of meds daily....21 tablets total. I had an accident that triggered the fibro. At one point I was taking 12 oxcycontin a day plus other meds thinking it would get rid of the pain. I actually thought at one point the more meds I took I would be able to scrub the floors on my knees. With my Dr we finally decreased medsby finding something that really works. I still have breakthrough pain but I will not increase my main med for pain control. I can usually get away with adding something light or other times it is a trip to emerg.

I remember taking amitriptyline and my body did not like it. I think it was less than 6 months I took it.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby lolo73 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Strange this topic came up because despite wanting to try and stay on the amitriptyline and give it a chance, I just can't function. For the first couple of weeks I was on 10mgs then they upped it to 20mgs, I couldn't walk or think or stay awake. So I cut it down to 10mgs and informed my GP what I had done. Now on 10mgs I still feel like a zombie but to a lesser extent, I can't function properly, so the amitriptyline has to go. Tonight I cut one third of the tablet off, tomorrow I will cut half off etc. My GP has always trusted my decisions and knows I come from a nursing background, so he knows I wouldn't make a rash decision. I feel as though the tablets have been poisoning me, that sounds so strange but it is the only way I can describe it, I am not being overdramatic or paranoid just explaining how they are draining life out of me. I guess they aren't for everyone, I will miss a good nights sleep when I stop them though :(
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby BellaH » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Thank you all for your replies - means a lot to have support on here.

I've taken my first 25mg tonight, kind of anxious that I will wake up in pain tomorrow but trying to think positive.

I am wanting to try natural remedies once I get off the amitriptyline does anyone know any? At the moment I use deep heat gel but that's all
BellaH
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:27 pm

A homeopath could give you the drug back to you in homeopathic form to counteract any side effects and get it out of your system as you tail off with GP advice and guidance. The body can store any drugs for many years so by giving you 'like for like', the drugs and any symptoms of them can be diminished.
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:49 am

lo lo, I hope you get sleep. You are proof that not all meds work for everyone. I have had my share of reactions to meds that others haven't.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 pm

im a dr nightmare when it come to stopping drugs i just stop. and yes its not nice . butim glad im off them ,they helped sleep but boy was i tired and dreams were wild dont do what i did do come off slowly and u should feel find xx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:01 pm

whoami wrote:I remember taking amitriptyline and my body did not like it. I think it was less than 6 months I took it.

That's why I came off it once I felt my sleep was better regulised. I loved the feeling it gave me when I had taken it and was drifting off to sleep - it felt like when you are being put under for anasthetic and I'm a bit strange but I love that feeling lol. But I would wake up like a zombie themorning after and could never fully wake up until mid afternoon.

It is so true that we could be on the same tablets and find that what helps us does nothing for someone else and vice versa. So strange and especially when FM likes to be so different for each of us.
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby sweetie pie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:15 pm

wish I could come of it to, as it does drain you daily, but its the only drug that has helped with the sleeping, as did come of it for a wee while then couldn't sleep again, so back on it again, as need to sleep as its the only way for me to have a break from this fibro, let us no how you get on, when your of the amitriptyline xx
sweetie pie
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia