Hunger and weight issues

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hunger and weight issues

Postby MissChris » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:08 pm

When I was diagnosed with Fibro I was warned that my metabolism would slow right down so I would have to take care not to eat too much to avoid weight gain. I was then given amitriptyline which makes me hungry ALL the time! It's so hard not to eat double what I used to!

Is anyone else having this issue?

So far I've tried:
Drinking a pint of water half an hour before eating to try and fill me up
Eating portions on small plates to try and trick my brain into thinking there's more there
Eating very small pieces at a time and eating very slowly to try and give my brain the "Hey I'm eating!" signal
Eating foods with a low glycaemic index so that I stay fuller for longer
Cutting out sugary snacks that make my blood sugar spike and make me crave more

But, still hungry all the time. I'm eating the 1500 calorie limit advised by my dietician, eating all the right foods he suggested, but still hungry. And it's not just normal hungry it's mega hunger pangs with those annoying (and slightly embarrassing) gurgles! My dietician just says that I'll get used to eating less eventually. Eventually seems very vague. Can anyone think of anything else I could try? Please help! :(
MissChris
UKFM Member

Re: Hunger and weight issues

Postby eira » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Snap! Are you hypothyroid? My appetite went crazy after starting on thyroxine (275mcg) completely cancelling out any good that the medicine was doing. If you discover the secret let me know. I know my fibro would be eased if i lost weight but i am hungry all the time. It's infuriating especially as I'm usually either too tired or too achy to exercise. Good luck. xx
eira
UKFM Newbie

Postby Pipsie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Go get your thyroid checked.
Stop drinking water before you eat, it just expands the tummy so it actually has the same effect. However, I read if you blend you food with said water it will keep you fuller for longer. May not work for all meals.
Hope you feel better soon.
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 pm

oh my yes im so hungry. i don't no if my brain see pain and hunger as the same thing lol as i seem to have both most of the day. all i think about is food , il put on so many pounds i can get in half my cloths but i cant leave food alone.i really believe our brains are sending this signals telling us were hungry ,but like u i AM hungry have baked spud with beans chesse and salad ,oh good girl your thinking .but now i want turkey saled sandwich with chirps and drip and a big mug of tea.im only on tramadol ad paracetamol.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby MissChris » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks for the tip on the water, didn't realise I had it backwards!!

I've also been told that if you mix cayenne pepper with some water and drink it, it causes your appetite to be suppressed....anyone know if it works? I'm reluctant to try it because it sounds awful lol
MissChris
UKFM Member

Postby sheila300 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Is it just me, but sometimes I feel/look fairly slim but by the end of the day I look 6-months pregnant! I've even had people ask me 'when is the baby due'. My stomach swells from just under the bust. Last year I went to Slimming World and lost over a stone in weight, but my bellies were still there. I'm completely dairy-free and try to eat healthily (not always successful though).
If anyone has any tips for reducing this, please let me know.
All replies are gratefully received. Thankyou for listening. :-D
sheila300
UKFM Member

Postby Bethany » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:38 am

Hi Sheila I know how you feel when you say you feel hungry all the time I've had fibromyalgia for 5 years being on morphine and other drugs make me feel so hungry. I put loads of weight on by keep eating all the wrong food I kept blaming the medication but in fact it wasn't the medication what was making me hungry it was comfort eating Due to depression. I've just finished having CBT treatment for my pain and I learnt that if I begin to except what I've got and love myself for who I am then I will start caring more about myself and I started to eat healthy and snacking on fruit and nuts and I've lost almost a stone in 6 weeks. It's hard at first but now I don't feel as hungry and if I do I keep telling myself Im not hungry. I drink squash instead of tea. Try to eat 3 meals a day. Hope this info is helpful. Take care :-D :-D :-D
Bethany
UKFM Newbie

Postby relf1960 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:28 am

hi, ive been hungry my whole life, lol. ive always eaten way more than my siblings. theyve often said i should be huge with what i eat. i am over weight, but think i must have had a high motabolism all my life. i cant go to sleep if i dont have something fairly late to eat. if i get late for any meal i get nauseas till i eat. if i diet i cant stick to it, then binge eat. on waking i need breakfast straight away. my blood tests dont show any probs. i only take seroxat/paroxetine for 16 yrs, but im sure i was like this before that, so cant blame medication. as u know, excersise n fibromyalgia dont mix much. boredom is only part of the over eating problem. as for the swelling tummy. mines been like that for donkeys years. its known as bloating. could be because of ibs? cus im so sick when pregnant, loosing 2 stones each pregnancy, i look less pregnant till i;m six months, than i do daily now. lol.x
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:41 am

Try to keep to the 3 meals a day and a couple of snacks but snack time seems to keep getting longer and teh snaks turn into small meals.

So your not alone,mind you feel like thumping the next person who say you might feel better if you lost a bit of weight....just can't seem to get it off.

As for cayanne in warm water it tastes OK ish , have heard squeezing lemon juice in it makes it even better and as both substances are appetite suppresents they may halp in loosing the weight. Cayenne in warm/hot water was used by models in the 60's or so I've been told.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby sheila300 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Just a quick Thank You to all the peeps who replied. Don't feel quite so alone now and had some good advice/tips. :-D :-D :-D

Hope you all have a good weekend. XXX
sheila300
UKFM Member

Postby MissChris » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks for replies :)
Iceskatemum - thanks for the tip, anything that makes it more palatable is a plus!
Sheila- i also have a bloated stomach, it just swells up when it feels like it! Im having an edoscopy soon as after months of consultations my dietician thinks i may have celiac disease. Maybe try cutting back on gluten to see if it helps? Worth a try :) x
MissChris
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia