Cooking on a bad day

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Cooking on a bad day

Postby charley » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Hey everyone, hope you're all good. Basically, I'm having a really bad day with pain at the moment, and can't face cooking because of it. So I was just wondering if any of you guys have any kind of back ups in place when you're in a situation like mine and physically can't walk to the kitchen but don't have your mum or OH or anyone to cook for you?? Or should I just man up? :P
charley
UKFM Member

Re: Cooking on a bad day

Postby lolo73 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 pm

That is called a take away night in our house x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm

When I'm well, I do a load of cooking, put it into takeaway cartons and freeze it, so when I'm not up to cooking all I need to do is defrost one, and maybe cook rice or pasta depending what it is / throw it in the oven.
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Cereal, yoghurt, banana, crisps and a cup of tea ;-)
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed May 01, 2013 4:15 am

Charley.....you don't have to justify how you feel or "man up" as you say. Take away sounds good. When you feel up to it preparing meals ahead as suggested can be helpful.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:47 am

with a baby i cant not cook lol but u can do things like get yourself a slow cooker and make stews casseroles and such . u then have the day to rest and a nice meal still in the evening . hugsssx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Wed May 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi charley

oh yes I have one of those days a few times a week. As I finish work hours before my OH I always try and get dinner at least started so if I can't finish it he can just take over. But there are times where I physically can't cook anything or the thought of slaving over a meal just makes me hurt even more.

I tend to have a few mico meals in the freezer for such days as you just pop one in the microwave, set the time and there you go. Micro meals have gotten a lot better lately in nutrition and value for money. Or I'll do something on toast and microwave some beans/or scrambled egg.

The thing that does motivate me to cook is for my OH more than me as he has a really physically demanding job and works much later than I do and I always feel so guilty if I can't cook anything and am just lying on the sofa watching him rush around after work.

Also, the good old takeaway has sorted us out a few times in the past too.

Don't feel too bad if you're not up to cooking a gourmet meal every night Charley lol, just do what you can manage and make sure you at least eat something even if it's small.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 01, 2013 1:40 pm

Charley, don't do the "manning up" option as it will only make you feel worse for even longer. Instead go with how you feel, and if takeaway is the most feasible option on a bad day, then go with it.

Depending on how much freezer/storage space you have access to, might having something like some ready meals in reserve be a possible option to consider??? I know some of them can be absolutely awful, but if you were to buy the best ones you could within your budget, it would mean you were having something reasonably decent and nutritious to eat.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fluffysammy » Wed May 01, 2013 4:21 pm

I tend to try and bulk cook meals when im having an ok day and freeze them for my bad days, also my lovely husband has started buying prepeeled/chopped veg for me to use as i struggle to peel and chop, i also have a frozen right shoulder which adds to the pain of meal chopping etc. Last night for the first time in prob over 15 years we had bought pies for dinner, my husband and son were not to impressed but i explained id bought them just to make it easy for myself, and so they were ok with it then.
I struggle with basic house work so i tend not to do much, so i do try to at least 6 days a week cook a really nice meal for them as i do admit i feel useless with everything else :-( Sammy x
fluffysammy
UKFM Newbie

Postby fluffysammy » Wed May 01, 2013 4:24 pm

painprincess1 wrote:with a baby i cant not cook lol but u can do things like get yourself a slow cooker and make stews casseroles and such . u then have the day to rest and a nice meal still in the evening . hugsssx

I think a slow cooker is a Fibro warriors best friend in the kitchen :-) x
fluffysammy
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia