Developing Anxiety =[

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Developing Anxiety =[

Postby animeemo3 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:04 am

i wouldn't say i had anxiety problems, sure i have times where i am very worried, but i wouldn't say it was a PROBLEM. however, after having an assessment more than 3 weeks ago and not having heard anything from them, each time i get a letter and i don't know who its from, i start getting very sweaty, my heart races, i feel sick to my stomach and my anxiety goes through the roof. so much so, that my partner can visibly see it, and gets worried as he doesn't know whats happening. it's happening almost every day, and seeing news about all the things happening to disabled people, its starting to become very very frequent and severe. i'm so scared what will actually happen to me when i get the dreaded letter telling me i am fit for work. i'm literally scared of them =[
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Re: Developing Anxiety =[

Postby LouLou » Thu May 02, 2013 10:28 am

Hi animeemo3

I'm not sure if this is the same as what you are feeling but thought I would share it with you on the offchance it helps a bit.

Before FM I was so outgoing/socialable/confident/could hold conversations with complete strangers. When I first started to experience FM symptoms I pretty much holed myself up at home to rest when I wasn't at work. I barely went out socially for a good few months.

Now I try and go out sometimes outside of work if it is something I can do feel quite nervous about going out and being around lots of people even if I know them. I often find that social situations where I have to hold conversations etc really do wear me out which is crazy as it's just sitting and talking right?

I'm not sure of your whole situation animee but since FM do you find you don't really get out and about as much as you used to? Are you able to get out for short periods of time? Personally I think my own fear and worry is down to not being used to being in big crowds and making the effort to be socialable like I was before FM. I also think I worry about people asking me questions about my illness, or that I will look like I'm in pain/tired and people will ask me why etc. FM is such a hard illness to explain at the best of times lol and I hate being the centre of attention so I tend to not really talk about having FM and use the generic "I'm fine thanks" when people ask how I am even when I'm not ok.

I hope that at least helps you realise you aren't alone in feeling like this animee. Maybe you could take baby steps in building your confidence back up? Your partner clearly knows something is wrong as you said he can see it when it happens to you? Maybe try a short outing just the two of you to the shops or something and build up from there?

Don't ever feel bad for feeling the way you do animee, but if this is really getting to you it may be worth a trip to your GP to see if there is anything they can do to help you?

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Take Care
x
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby animeemo3 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 am

i didn't really get out before FM, so its not really much of a change. i daren't go to the shop (even though its on the same street very close) because I'm in pain and breathless by the time i get to the bottom of the stairs ( i live in a room on the 2nd floor of a house) and sweat is literally running down all over. i sweat so much, and i don't even have to do anything =[ i would love nothing more than to go out and enjoy myself but when I'm about to leave, I'm just filled with dread because i know whats going to happen and what im going to feel and i end up not going out. can't go out with my partner either because the bedsit I'm living in has the same lock on the door as all the other rooms, and people have been in and out of other peoples rooms before and we daren't leave the room unattended. worst part is, my partner doesn't understand FM, and all the things that goes with it. i tried asking him not to poke my leg yesterday because i have allodynia and it really quite hurts, and he went off on one, ranting about how that couldn't possibly hurt, and i'm just making it up, there's no way it hurts. I've tried explaining, and showing him pages with info, but he's so stubborn, he wont even look and it just makes him angry. i have to sit and keep things to myself because it causes more trouble if i say anything, so i whine and moan on here lol
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Fri May 03, 2013 10:43 am

Oh animee

It sounds like you really are stick between a rock and a hard place at the mo. All I can suggest is that you just try and take baby steps when venturing outside. I have the sweating thing too and so do many others on here so you're not alone. I tend to carry a small flannel/hand towel in my bad when I go for my walks so I can discreetly mop my brow.

Getting outside for a bit really can work wonders for how you feel and can really lift your spirits, especially as it's now nice and sunny. As I said try little baby steps on your own, maybe a few steps up the street and back again and build from there. Do you have any close friends or other family members who would be able to do a bit of walking with you?

As for your OH, have you tried properly explaining your symptoms to him? There are a few good threads on here that demonstrate our symptoms in ways that are easier to understand? He really should be a bit more careful with you but boys will be boys. Pre FM if me and my Oh had a play fight he would forget I was a girl and be rough with me like his brothers. I soon put him in his place lol.

I'm not sure what else to suggest animee, just wanted you to know you're not alone and feel free to rant on here (it's very theraputic lol)

Take Care
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby juejue » Fri May 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi Animee,

I'm sorry you are struggling so much at the moment. I have anxiety myself both Pre and post FM and i understand how debilitating it can be. have you dried speaking to your doc about medication or counselling, preferably a mixture of both worked for me. If you don't feel you can go to the docs on your own can a friend go with you or maybe the doc could come out to you? There is some good help info here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anxiety/Pa ... -help.aspx

If you don't feel you can go out just yet you could ring a helpline, there is a link to one here http://www.mind.org.uk/help/advice_lines
Or here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anx ... lines.aspx . No Panic is good.

I hope you find things to help you, things can get better i promise

Take care
Jue
juejue
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia