clenched muscles

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

clenched muscles

Postby latmaz » Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 am

not sure if thats the right heading but i sometimes realise i am clenching my muscles. its like all of a sudden i just realise it and its obviously been a while that they have been clenched

i then find i cant seem to make them relax even tho i am actively trying to. then even if i do relax them a while later i realise i am clenching them again

does that make sense? does anyone else find this?
latmaz
UKFM Member

Re: clenched muscles

Postby debi-p » Thu May 02, 2013 9:48 am

oh my!! yes nearly every day now this happens to me. takes forever to unclench them, and as you say I don't even realise that im doing it. have no reasons to why this happens or how to deal with it :-(
debi-p
UKFM Newbie

Postby Graygirl » Thu May 02, 2013 9:48 am

Yes, I do that. I'll be sitting watching tv and suddenly realize that my leg muscles - especially the thigh muscles - are really tight and clenched. It's as if my body is in a state of tension the whole time without me even being aware of it. When I realize it's happening, I put the palms of my hands across my thighs, take a few slow, deep breaths, and try to 'will' the muscles into relaxing.
Graygirl
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu May 02, 2013 10:19 am

Another one here who does that!

I too don't realise I'm doing it for ages then suddenly something clicks in my brain and I realise and I have to consciously tell myself to relax and it does take a lot of effort.

I have aromatherapy massage once a week off my mum and the times she has told me to relax and I've said "I am relax" but I'm unconsciously clenching muscles somewhere.

My mum also found that while massaging me I tend to have knots in various parts of my body and they are always wherever my body has hurt the most that week!

Glad I'm not the only one who does this clenching thing though I was starting to think I was just being a bit strange lol.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:10 pm

yep worse in my jaw i just don't no im doing it.
just sitting here reading this i realized my body was tight as a drum.i think its a habbit your body gets into.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby latmaz » Thu May 02, 2013 4:38 pm

goodness!!! so glad its not me going mad - well i probably am but thats a whole other post!!!!!

thanks everyone. not sure why it happens but seems i am not alone
latmaz
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia