Hayfever starting

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hayfever starting

Postby Wackers34 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:25 pm

I hope I have posted this in the right place???

I have just started getting my hayfever this year, first time since I have had Fibro (only had for 5 months)...

I can't get to docs until next week, is there any advice anyone can give on what is suitable to take with Amitrilyptine? I usually take Benadryl 1 a day and this works well, but I am scared of interactions. I know i should ask doc first, but wanted to see if anyone knows if this is an ok combination?
If not I will get to a pharmacy tomorrow

Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: Hayfever starting

Postby lolo73 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:32 pm

You need to check with the pharmacist because any of your meds could interact with hayfever meds. I tend to use the nasal sprays more than the tablets mainly because they all make me drowsy x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 03, 2013 8:28 pm

As lolo has said, your local pharmacist should be able to tell you about any possible interactions between your meds and hayfever treatments. They should also be able to advise you which hayfever treatment might be more suitable for you to try.

Hope it doesn't get too bad for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby anonymouse » Sun May 05, 2013 10:14 am

I would say try 3 different tablets as we all respond differently, the ones you mentioned were the ones that I found the best. Then also hit them with a Nasal Spray & Eye Drops if you can. You can get cheap non branded ones too, just check the ingredients and if you buy online check they are a registered pharmacist in the UK.

I have taken them all with Amitrityline HOWEVER you need to ALWAYS personally check with the Pharmacist first.

Alternatives are the Hay fever injection, eating local honey all year round and red light therapy unit up your nose (they are available cheap, you look stupid, can't help but doubt them but they worked one year for me) sunglasses when outside, Vaseline up your nose as a pollen catcher, dry your clothes in doors and use air con in your car (as then the air coming in gets filtered more)

And that's may Hay Fever advice set

Hope it helps, some good advice so far and if you want me to list the active ingredients let me know, I haven't listed them so far as the BNF is in the other room and I can't spell so I'm avoiding embarsement haha

Good Luck
Anonymouse
Fibro, Chronic Pain, Insomnia, Psoriasis, Migraines, Light & Hyper Sensitivity & Joint Subluxation but apart from that I am perfectly healthy & battling for ESA & DLA. - Twitter: my_fibromyalgia - Facebook: myfibromyalgia
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun May 05, 2013 8:52 pm

When I took Amitriptyline the pharmacist did not recommend taking them together. I would not start taking benadryl without checking first.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Betfred101 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Pharmacists these days dont let me have anything if i take so much as paracetamol. But generally they do know what they are talking about, when they arent overly keen on selling you something
But I would imagine if it makes you drowsy, then its almost certain to interact.
But yes definitely ask the pharmacist, tho personally I would rather check with the GP.
Hope it helps !
Hay fever sucks! :yikes:
Betfred101
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon May 06, 2013 2:36 am

Betfred101 wrote:Pharmacists these days dont let me have anything if i take so much as paracetamol. But generally they do know what they are talking about, when they arent overly keen on selling you something
But I would imagine if it makes you drowsy, then its almost certain to interact.
But yes definitely ask the pharmacist, tho personally I would rather check with the GP.
Hope it helps !
Hay fever sucks! :yikes:

Betfred.....I agree with checking the interactions with drugs. Do you find that the pharmacist actually knows more about medication than the Dr's do? That seems to be the case here. Half the time the Dr's have to look up medications but the text they use may be a few years old. Our government has a program set up where anyone using a medication for a continued time has actual appointments with the pharmacist to go over your meds for any problems you have or may have. These records are kept on file so that it is easier to keep track of meds better.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Betfred101 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Yes Whoami, i dont know if you are in the UK or not, I am. But sometimes I wonder if either the doctor does not want you to know too much about the medication. Doesn't him/herself know very much or what....
But strange conspiracies aside :chicken-dance:
Yes, we do indeed have the appointment which is called a *review* When i was last called into the pharmacists office I was less than impressed. It just seems to me the government has handed more powers to another money maker to stick there noses into our business. I would understand if it was for a good reason. But asking me if i still know how to use an inhaler correctly and not stupidly taking more pills per day than i am meant to.. Seems like something I would rather keep between me and the GP. Since when did a pharmacist have the same privacy laws as your doctor anyway?
Betfred101
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia