Day trip

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Day trip

Postby Wackers34 » Sun May 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi all

I am a bit worried and was wondering if anyone can advise...

I have half term holiday coming up and the weather is getting warmer...my 4 year old has been itching to go on a day trip.. So far since fibro I have managed going to the local park and swimming.

I was just wondering has anyone managed day trip with kids, like zoo or theme park and if so what tips can you give me...

Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: Day trip

Postby Alityke » Sun May 05, 2013 4:40 pm

I'm no expert as I've only recently been told that my pains are fibro related but have had inflammatory arthritis and fibro symptoms since 1997 when both my kids were little. I would suggest looking at where you can go on the train and make the journey an integral part of the day out. I'd also suggest making the day relatively simple for you. So buy lunch & drinks rather than pack a picnic. Keeps the luggage to a minimum. Is there a friend or relative who might like to join in & share?
Before being told what was wrong with me days like this always improved my mood and I could ignore the aches better.
Alityke
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:50 pm

plan plan and plan some more. take a freind or family member to help u.plan how to get there and when u will be coming home. make sure u dont need to cook when u get home.take pain killers with u.and make rest stops when u feel u need to.also make sure u dont have any plan for a few days after xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 06, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm another vote for planning, planning, planning, and a bit more planning, just to be sure :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: My usual approach is often compared to that of a military campaign :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

Have a good look at the places you're thinking of going to, include how you will be getting there and coming home. Have a good look at their layout, where facilities are located, distances between things that you might want to see/go on, and try to identify places/areas that could be suitable for you take a rest. Their websites will often have layouts/maps as well as details of where different things are located. If there are rides or amusements, also take into consideration how long you may have to be queuing before you can get on.

Food and drink~wise, as has already been said, eating out is the easier option as it means you will have a lot less to carry around for you. This is what we tend to do, even now, but I know that it isn't always possible depending on personal budgets, eating habits, allergy, dietry requirements/problems etc.

When my now :yikes: :yikes: :alien: :alien: teenager was the same sort of age as your youngest, we still took his buggy/pushchair with us. As well as giving him somewhere to sit and sleep in, it also meant a lot of stuff could be put in the shopping basket rather than it having to be in a bag that needed to be carried around. When we took food with us as well, instead of taking lots of large and bulky containers, everything was placed in bags and even tubs that could just be thrown away as we went round, lightening the weight of things as we went round. What we had foody~wise was more snack and nibbles based, finger~type food that good easily be eaten and didn't take too long to sort out. Rather than taking huge bottles of drink with us, smaller bottles and cartons were better as they could also be thrown away as we were going round, plus some of the plastic bottles could be refilled from drinking water points that were often available around the places.

For yourself, make sure you wear comfortable clothes, ideally several thin layers that can easily be taken off if things start warming up, but that will also help you feel a bit warmer if things turn a bit chilly. Make sure you have comfortable footwear as well, makes the walking you'll be doing a bit easier to manage. Take your meds with you so you can take them regularly while your out, as well as any that you use as a top~up, just in case they're needed. If you have particular areas that are more painful than others or are likely to become more troublesome thru the day, the sticky heat patches can help and can easily slip into a bag that you take with you.

Take things easier a few days before, and very definitely for a few days after if at all possible to give you the best chance possible of getting thru the day with the least impact on you (altho it doesn't always work out that way :facepalm: :facepalm: ) Make meals on those days, and for when you get back as quick and easy to sort out as they can be for you, and don't forget to take someone else with you, as well as helping out, they'll be able to take lots of piccies of you and the kids having a fun time out :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Mon May 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Enjoy your trip out, try to take someone else along with you to help with your little one, go somewhere where there is seating so you have plenty of rest stops. pace your day out and enjoy :-D
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Wackers34 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Thanks so much everyone, thats great advice!

I especially like the idea of having dinner pre prepared for when we get back later. Plus will be taking grandparents to help with the little ones :-)

I thought things like this would have to fall by the waist side, but after the bank holiday weekend and managing to do 3 days in a row of activity, im much more confident...I can't bear the thought of the kids not having happy memories, because I have an illness :cry:

Will keep everyone updated on how I get on, when we go for it :-D
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon May 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Altho the way we need to approach and do things needs to change with FM, it doesn't mean that all the nice things and fun has to go out of the window. There are ways for things to be done, it just takes a bit of time to find out the best way for us to do them.

Here's to you having some :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: times with your kiddie~winks :wine: :wine: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia