bigger is better i hope

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

bigger is better i hope

Postby painprincess1 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:42 pm

ok i no us women moan about weight but dam fibro must love big girl. cose im one now.i am trying to get my head around the idea. not easy. i still wanna eat like i used to i have always eaten well.infact my dad never feels full and im kinda like that. i wouldnt say im a beached whale yet, but id say a sea cow maybe lol the sad bit is if i do feel in the mood as soon as i put on anything sexy it dont fit or i cant get it in my size im a 18 and i feel rotton.how do u get your head around being bigger . dont tell me to eat better or diet , cose i cant run around anymore i do eat good food i never fry anything.and salad after a few days plys my ibs up.so any tips on getting my head around it as im pretty sure it here to stay.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Re: bigger is better i hope

Postby Spange » Wed May 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh, how I wish I had the answer for you! What medication are you on? I am on Tramadol and Gabapentin and a side effect of Gaba is weight gain. I asked the doctor if there was an alternative, they said pregablin but that would also have the same side effect. The good that the Gabapentin does for me outweighs (no pun intended) the bad. This does not, however, help with the embarrassment I feel if I bump into someone I haven't seen for a while. You can see their expression change to :shock: , before they compose themselves again, but they always come out with the "you look well" comment, which people say when you have put on weight...! This then leads to "actually, I am not well" and I fall over myself trying to explain exactly what is going on.

I think you should just go easy on yourself and don't beat yourself up about it. You are going through enough as it is and stressing about your weight will just serve to increase pain levels. Swimming is good as your body is supported; finding a warm pool, however, is not so easy!

xx
Spange
UKFM Member

Postby animeemo3 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:27 pm

ahh i feel your pain! 2 years ago i was roughly a size 14-16, now im a size 24 =[ i barely eat junk, i looove vegetables (will often pick peas and sweetcorn over chips!) and one year ago i was homeless for a few months so i walked around a damn lot!and still the stones kept coming! apparently is a combo of PCOS, insulin resistance and fibro =[ have you been checked for either of those? they put me on microgynon (not the best one in THEIR opinion) and for the past 4 months, my weight has not changed at all and i have to admit, i did have a few takeaways and junky things so its working! also, i only get any kind of exercise about 3 times a week, so by rights, i should be putting it on like nobodies business! maybe see if thats true for you too? x
animeemo3
UKFM Member

Postby lalondon » Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi there, I know exactly where you're coming from. I've always been a larger frame, 5'10 and a size 14. Although after the last few years with Fibro and various meds I managed to increase in weight and size, I was bordering on going in to an 18 too! I made a lot of excuses to try and account for my weight gain. But in the end I had to face facts and admit that I just wasn't eating as well as I tried to believe I was!! I signed up to goodtoknowdiets.co.uk and now log every piece of food that passes my lips and count the calories I consume. With regards to exercise, no it's not always easy because of pain, numb feet and back pain etc etc etc, however I do try and walk everyday, some days I can manage a good 40 minute yomp now (I've built up to this over a period of time). Other days tho it may be that the best I can manage is 10 mins on the spot walking in the lounge. If I can't do any exercise I don't beat myself up, I go for a lie down and rest instead. Since January I've lost 18lbs and am now a 14/16 and feel confident that by the summer I'll be back in a 14. It's slow and steady but I really feel like I'm winning now. My friends say my confidence is returning and my sparkle is back. I really hope this may help inspire you or just let you know that you're not alone and you have my sympathy because not only do we fight the pain everyday we have to contend with the emotional stress of weight gain too. Don't give up, you can make things better...good luck!!
lalondon
UKFM Newbie

Postby kazza65 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi

:hugs:

I have been on pregablin 200mg three times a day with mst 15mg twice a day and 30mg at night also amtrriplyne 40mg at night. And Oramorph as and when needed.

I was a size 24 when i first started with meds for pain the doctors didn't know what was causing my pain so they kept givivng me different meds until i found one that was suitable and eased my pain.

Like the others have said you can loose weight with fibro but it takes time, i've been following the slimming world diet for over 2 years now and i've lost 4st but recently i've put 7lb back because i've been a bit inmoblie due to bad back pains and my feel been uncomfortable when i put shoes on so have had to wear my slippers.

So i'm sending you my good luck and hope you feel pounds better now.... To get too big because it will put my pressure on your joints and make the ache and sting more more..

love Karen xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Havent found the answer myself yet :( :( :( hope someone finds a solution soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby maxtomads » Wed May 08, 2013 6:51 pm

I was a very fit, active 6' tall size 12 2 years ago. Then fibro hit. I'm still 6' of course, but now size 16 is getting a bit too snug. I eat a fraction of what I used to, but can do very little by way of exercise to burn it off. So frustrating.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Another here who has gained loads of weight over time and is finding it hard to get losing it kickstarted :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

PreFM, when :yikes: :yikes: :alien: :alien: teenager was but a mere :yikes: :yikes: :alien: :alien: toddler, things were pretty steady weightwise for me, and if things did start climbing (usually after we'd been on hollibobs 8-) 8-) 8-) ) it was fairly easy to get rid of it.

Now tho, regardless of what I try and do, I'm lucky if there is a shift of 1lb :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: And with all the blubber and wobblying my body does, I'm constantly wondering what redeeming feature I have left as there must be something there as OH still acts like he did when we first got together :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby painprincess1 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:50 am

fluppy. my OH does to no idea what he sees mind u lol. still there are alot of man out there who like meat on the bones.
maybe its us women who think we need to be a size 0 to be happy.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:32 am

painprincess1 wrote:maybe its us women who think we need to be a size 0 to be happy.

I think you're right :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: No matter how supportive we are of others who have their own weight issues, when it comes to ourselves, most of us tend to be overly critical and hard on how we are :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I think we all know that we each need to take a step or 2 back and look at ourselves with a little objectivity, just as we do when we try to help someone else, and maybe follow a little of our own advice. We all know that we have our own specialness, but quite often find it :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: to acknowledge that it is part of us, esp when the darker side of things is at the front of things.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Thu May 09, 2013 11:01 am

Im always on and off diets, loosing a stone then giving up as i just cannot keep the willpower even tho i do feel better :( :oops:

For me i have alot to loose and its like looking down the highest mountain. I know i must take each pound as it comes but stuck in all day every day with nothing to stimulate my mind and not being active contributes to how difficault it is for me.

Then comes the depression periods this is another struggle amoungst the rest :roll: i find it so hard to keep on track with so much against me i just give in :(

The doctors are now on my case about the weight and my knees are buckling from me causing many falls and injurys (last week i tore all the ligaments acroos my foot and sprained my ankle plus lots of cuts and bruises from a nasty fall) and im sure carrying aload a weight does not help my situation yet im in that circle :facepalm:

Every time a proffessional mentions my BMI as it over 40 :oops: i get very defensive! :face-slap: as for me its not just as easy as eating healthy and exrcising! so i end up in heated talks :nono: telling them to back off unless there prepared to help and support me (which they dont) iv seen a dietician and all they could do for me was advise me on what foods to eat (i know that one) :roll: what i wanted was support and encouragement and possibly a perscription in meal replacement drinks for when i cannot get out of bed rather then grabb foods.

Buying fresh fruit/veg and meat/fish is so expensive, money i just dont have so i shop gettin pre-packed meals as i also cannot stand long enough nor have the energy to make meals. I also eat *grabb foods* because of my health and circumstances. This again is not good for me :nono: but am limited to choices.

I also find fruits and salads go off quickly and so i need to shop frequantly which again i cannot do due to mobility restrictions.

I try and except i am who i am and except partly my health and circumstances is to do with my huge weight i have BUT i do feel very sluggish and *ugly* and have not brought any clothes for years because i am a pear shape so clothes just dont hang right and i have no interest in fashion as im so big and only by what fits as i find many plus size stores cater for the older person or the style is not to my shape.

I do get very down about it and many a times i get nasty comments from people who walk past me or shout from the car as they go by :evil: iv never been slim ever! and always been big built since puberty. My bone structure is that of an 18 :lol: :lol: my hips are wide and with that comes ahuge butt :girl_moon: and big thighs...

I try and eat under 2000 calories a day so i do not put anymore on yet not being active doesnt help...

Moan moan moan :roll: soz went on a bit of a rant there :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby painprincess1 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:34 am

rant away lisa.
we all no what your going through.i went into dp the other day the biggist size that ha was 16 .i mean come on .we do have ashore in the next town for big girls but its not cheap but its nice to go around it and no u can fit in it. only other thing to do is buy online lisa u can get things from the usa so its cheaper then the uk.that way u can send it back if it not feel right xxxx
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu May 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Hi painprincess

Pre FM I was the original gym bunny lol I was there for 2 hours 3-4 times a week and loved it. I maintained a slim figure and felt so good and healthy. Fast forward 2 years and though I haven't put on huge amounts of weight I'm bigger than I was and a bit wobblier too.

I eat a healthy and varied diet but like you I love food. I think we have enough to deal with without weight issues and depriving ourselves of the food we love because of it.

To be honest it sems like you are quite happy with the way you are and your hubby is too, so I would say that as long as you are happy, your hubs is happy and you are eating a varied and healthy diet then there is no more you can do. Life is so short you should enjoy what you can when you can.

My OH constantly tells me he likes my figure with a few more pounds on so maybe we should start listening to our men ladies? After all they are the ones who have to put up with us and everything. Plus, seriously how many pictures of these uber skinny celebs do you see where they look genuinely happy? I'd rather have a piece of cake and a cuppa than a few lettuce leaves thank you very much.

You are all beautiful wonderful ladies on here and inner beauty counts much more than outer beauty.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia