Spasms and twitches

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Spasms and twitches

Postby kazisedso » Fri May 10, 2013 8:26 am

Hello everyone,

i am experiencing muscle twitches in my calves, sometimes painful, sometimes not.... also have a twitching left eyelid and very rarely in my arms........

i take it that this is part of the Fibro??? the leg twitches/spasms only started this week and yesterday they were quite painful... kind of like the feeling that you are going to have cramp but it never quite gets there :shock: made me shout out a couple of times and my hubby looked at me wondering what was happening bless him.
i recently had to up my dosage of tramadol ( gp's recommendation )and have been given naproxen as i was having a flare up, naproxen are going in the bin they just upset my stomach, tramadol knocks me out which in a way is good, but tbh sick of being in bed.

Anyone else familiar with these twitches/spasms???
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Re: Spasms and twitches

Postby Wackers34 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 am

I get them ALL the time...In my arms, legs, feet, buttocks even my neck! Hundreds a day

I have been on lots of different meds and nothing has really helped these yet. they seem to get worse when I am tired.

They are very annoying and i am seeing my doc today, so will ask about them :-)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:31 am

yep it fibro alright. more tired i get the more i have them, sometime i jump in bed and hit my head on the headboard lol.i even chipped a tooth .
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Wackers34 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:59 pm

I asked doctor...she said more often than not they are tiredness / anxiety / vitamin Deficiency etc But because I have had them for months and they are getting steadily worse, I asked to be referred to a neurologist. She just wants to rule out any other disorders it might be

I am not sure if this reassures you or not :o)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby fletch » Fri May 10, 2013 2:12 pm

I get the same had them for years; its embarrassing when out with people when your leg jumps under the table for no reason
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 10, 2013 2:36 pm

They are often associated with FM, but can have other causes as well, so it might be worth mentioning it to your GP, just to be sure there isn't anything else at work.

I suffer with them at times, usually when I'm tired, stressed, upset and so on. And the more tired/worse I feel, the more intense they become :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby reegogo » Fri May 10, 2013 9:16 pm

I also suffer severe twitches in my legs worse at night when I'm just drifting off to sleep,been to DR who has reffered me to neurology as it could be down to anything from Fibromyalgia to restless leg syndrome but could also be down to other illness,please visit gp for advice, unfortunately for me I have had Fibromyalgia for 10 years but managed and occasionally was unable to work for a couple of weeks a year then 3 yrs ago I lost my vision at work and went to hospital where I was shocked to discover I had suffered a stroke which escelated Fybromyalgia symptoms and have been unable to work since and am on numerous meds including Morphine now.Dr advised Fybromyalgis sometimes hides other illnesses so please see Dr.
reegogo
UKFM Member

Postby Roch » Sat May 11, 2013 9:08 am

I also have horrendous spasms mainly n my thighs and calves at the same time. The only meds that help for me are" Methocarbamol" I take 2 every night and 2 every spasm that hits me.Before being prescribed this sometimes my spasms could be up to 45 min of excruciating pain for me worse than labour. Now i take 2 methocarbamol the min the spasm hits me and usually it can now last anywhere from 4/10 min after taking the meds. They have been a lifesaver for me. I carry them in my bag and also I have some in every room of the house, with a bottle of water even the bathroom as I have had a spasm in the bath, I am not able to move when in a spasm so I need my meds in easy reach otherwise I have to ride it out:( There is a massive difference between muscle cramps and spasms. Cramps and spasms can also be caused by vitamin deficient, dehydration and the most serious of them is blocked arteries in your legs which if not detected can be very serious(a scan is used to detect it ) I also have restless leg syndrome which I take pramipexole and is very efficient in relieving the symptoms. Restless leg syndrome is something that doctors find it very hard to pinpoint the cause and I was told that the only test they can do is bloods to check your iron count as low iron can cause this for but my iron count is normal. I used to take it every night but I only take them now when I have been in hospital and been on a pca fentanyl pump as I find when I come off the pca then it flares an episode or if I forgot to change my fentanyl patch. I find that if I have a flare up of Rls then if I take my pramipexole and have a hot bath usually symptoms go within 20 mins .
Sorry for such a dragged out post lol take care love Roch xx
Roch
UKFM Newbie

Postby binty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:13 am

I get twitches around my eye and lots of spasms in my abdomen. Often my legs twitch. No warning, just a sudden spasm. I found them a bit embarrassing although they mainly happen at night. Usually I guess when I am overtired after a run of sleepless, painful nights.
binty
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm twitching all over, no matter what time of the day. It doesn't hurt me but it's very annoying as it leaDs to me dropping things or spilling drink all over me. :-| I notice them more at night when trying to sleep. No warnings but the strongest ones made my stomach muscles twitch so bad, I looked like I was trying to do a fancy exercise that involves headbutting my knees. (I sleep on me side whenever possible)

I get them in my legs too and they're similar to when I fall asleep and think I'm falling down the stairs. Haven't thought of asking my doctor, just thought it's part of Fibro. :crazy:
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby beckstar127 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:24 pm

I regularly get them in my hands and it happens all of a sudden. Ive thrown drinks all over myself because i never know when it will happen

Gentle Hugs xx
beckstar127
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 am

Regular as hell in my legs I get so fed up as they are worse when trying to get to sleep xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby Leannellie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:40 pm

I get them too also I get vibrations on various parts of body, it feels like a mobile phone is touching my skin!!!!
Comfort in sound it's all around, ease back the strain, come heal your pain.
Leannellie
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Yes I often check pockets to see if my phone is in them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby binty » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:45 pm

how strange, i've been getting little vibrations over my body and it's exactly as described, like a mobile phone going off in my pocket, i thought it must be in my head to be honest and have never mentioned it to anyone, it seemed a bit to mention so i'm glad others have mentioned it, at least i no it really is'nt my imagination now, trouble is, if my phone does start vibrating in my pocket i don't answer it cos i think it's just another weird vibration i'm so used to feeling :crazy:
binty
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia