Can fibro get worse?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can fibro get worse?

Postby lorimc » Sun May 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi everyone, I just wondered if it is possible that fibro symptoms can get worse? I was just diagnosed at the end of Feb'13 and to be honest I haven't been that bad compared to how some people are affected with fibro. However this past week I seem to have been the worst I have ever been since being diagnosed. My whole body seems to be affected at once, and I now also have pains in my hands and fingers, my ankles and knees which I never had before. I find I am struggling to hold anything in my hands for any length of time. In fact I have just dried my daughters hair and it was so sore and uncomfortable, I'm still aching :(

Thanks, Lori x
lorimc
UKFM Member

Re: Can fibro get worse?

Postby lolo73 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Sounds like a flare up x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby dawnybawny » Sun May 12, 2013 9:28 pm

I agree, sounds like a flare up, take care Hun xx
dawnybawny
UKFM Member

Postby purrrcatty » Sun May 12, 2013 9:31 pm

i was told i had it july 12 and i have to say since then it has got worse but still having trouble with meds im bk at the hospital in 2 months. Tried alsort but not helping :( Mine has been really bad since the beginning of april but that was when i moved house and since then i have not managed to get it back under control :(
purrrcatty
UKFM Newbie

Postby Picklepudding » Sun May 12, 2013 9:40 pm

For me it's been like a self fulfilling prophecy ever since the rheumy suggested fibro. So I'm trying to tell myself that the rheumy is wrong so that things stop getting worse...it's not working at the moment but I can but try!
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby lorimc » Sun May 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I am so glad I found this site, it's great to be able to get advice/comments/suggestions etc. from other fibro sufferers.

Gentle hugs to you all, and thanks again
Lori x
lorimc
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon May 13, 2013 3:33 am

Lori, I have been dealing with fibro for 23 years. I would not say it gets worse. There are times when symptoms can all appear at once after a time of feeling good. You will find that some symptoms may stay permanently, some come and go. You also will find new symptoms appear out of nowhere, that is when it feels like it has gotten worse. It is all about controlling symptoms.

Learning to control symptoms when they appear before getting out of control is a hurdle at times. We have to listen to our bodies, slow down, rest when your innerself is telling you to. Denial, thinking we can do things like we did before fibro will get us in trouble. We can still do things but we learn to do things differently.

Fibromyalgia is not progressive or terminal. It is not like a cancer that eats away at our bodies and devours us. It is a cluster of symptoms, symptoms that can be controlled. The hard part is controlling them when every symptom seems to appear at once.

Lori, it may take a while for you to find the right combination of medication, excercise and attitude but you will. You have fibro, it doesn't have you. You will live a very productive, semi normal, LOL life.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby kitten » Mon May 13, 2013 7:44 am

Sounds like you had a flare , this weekend I had the worst flare I have had for a while fingers hand's toes knees sore throat etc I am sure the weather plays a big part in it
Hope you are feeling better soon lorimc x
kitten
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia