Palpitations anyone!?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Palpitations anyone!?

Postby gibbo82 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:55 pm

I was just wondering how many on these forums suffer with palpitations? Or how common is it in people with fibro?.

Along with fibro, gerd, anxiety, and ibs I suffer with mainly pvc's, and as of late they are becoming a pain!. Sometimes they are painful, and send me into a panic which makes things worse. I've sort of learnt how to live with them.

Anybody the same?
gibbo82
UKFM Member

Re: Palpitations anyone!?

Postby denys » Sun May 12, 2013 10:01 pm

If you put palpitations into the search facility you will come across a few other posts regarding this problem, have you had them checked out :?: :?: :?: :?: I presume you have as you say you've had them a while but if they are getting worse then maybe asking for it to be checked again wont hurt
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Chickystir » Sun May 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Yes I get palpitations .... I did wonder if it was anything to do with FM. I have not spoke to my GP about it though as it was just another thing to add to my list of symptoms and I also keep forgetting (fibro fog I guess) :roll: . It has eased my mind a bit though to know someone else gets this as well. :-) x
Chickystir
UKFM Newbie

Palpitations anyone!?

Postby gibbo82 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:22 pm

I'm not sure whether it could be a combo of anxiety, and other symptoms that cause them!?. I've been checked out and have been told nothing is wrong with my heart, but it still makes me worry as its your heart, right?.

I've got to the stage that I'm to afraid to attempt to try and exercise because of them! :(
gibbo82
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:30 pm

I had them due to a combo of drugs x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:14 pm

ive had them for years.tea or coffee make mine worse. or being over tired.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby holmess » Tue May 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi :wave:
I started with palpitations last year, I mentioned it to my Dr and she sent me to hospital, after wearing heart monitor etc. it turns out I have an ectopic (extra) heartbeat, she said to try beta blockers if it became a problem, but to be honest I don't want to take yet more meds. If you think something is not right though, get it checked out. We often say 'it's part of the fibro' but shouldn't assume. Good luck :-)
holmess
UKFM Member

Postby PurpleRose » Thu May 16, 2013 5:52 pm

Hello, I don't know how useful any of my posts are, I'm new to this and have only recently been diagnosed I'm still learning about fibro. And palpitations is one of the 'symptoms' I have, it can happen any time and any where for any reason and sometimes no reason at all. A lot of the time I get it when I'm actually relaxing, which is very rare as I can't sit still for long enough to relax, I don't know why but sometimes it feels like my heart has suddenly caught up with itself and is making up for beats it may have missed and other times I feel like I can't breathe and I start panicking. Again I don't know why because it can happen whenever it feels like it. I've had it for soo many years it doesn't bother me anymore its almost like its normal, I only found out it weren't when I started asking friends and family if they get it, which they don't, I had been to the Dr about it but they found nothing abnormal.
If I start to get it I literally just rationalise with myself, I concentrate on it and become aware of my surroundings and through a series of about 10 deep breaths it goes away (majority of the time)

Hope this does help :-/ Xx
PurpleRose
UKFM Member

Postby Atom » Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Hello gibbo82.

My doctor told me that I suffer with ectopic beats and I have also had already one heart palpitation which was not nice at all. He said that they are nothing to worry about.

Try cutting out the following if you haven't already:

- Caffeine. Drink decaffeinated tea, coffee coke etcetera.
- Energy drinks.

Try not to worry, believe me, I know it's hard but worrying will release more adrenaline, or stimulant, into your system and create more ectopic beats and/or palpitations. Thus creating a vicious circle.

If you find that you can't relax do something to distract your mind, maybe a bit of sudoku or something. Or log onto the forum and have a chat, it's a great way to relieve stress.
Atom
UKFM Member

Postby charley » Thu May 23, 2013 11:11 pm

I get them all the time, but in all honesty, up until a few days ago I didn't realise that it's not necessarily normal.
Most of the time they are, but if you're in doubt, speak to your GP :)
charley
UKFM Member

Postby jo_jo789uk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 am

I get palpitations and I feel very irritable.

My GP keeps saying it is just caused by my painkillers - I am on Co-Codamol and also Naprosyn at the moment.

I tend to get them mostly in the evenings or when I get the extreme fatigue where I need to sleep or I will just fall asleep where I am!
“Perhaps it is our imperfections that make us so perfect for one another!”
― Jane Austen
jo_jo789uk
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:48 pm

If this is bothering you, you should go with your gut instinct and get things checked. Explain to your Dr. that you are very uncomfortable with the answers. Also that you are scared to excercise.
Even if it is fibro causing this, your Dr's should suggest something to ease your pain or your mind that you will be ok.

Take care x
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia