Fibro fog

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro fog

Postby Ali43 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:47 am

Hi
I was diagnosed a bit back with fibro, I am just wondering if anyone can explain exactly what fibro fog is? I work in a school working with 9-13 yr olds and when i am working with them i am noticing i am saying wrong words, this also happens when i am talking to family and friends is this part of fibro fog? My frinds say i have been doing this for a while and just laugh it off :-D , but i am now getting a little concerned :oops: as it can be a little embarrassing. Can anyone advise please
Ali43
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro fog

Postby kazza65 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:43 am

Hi Ali

Funny you should mention this but i have found my self stuttering when i start some sentances. Also sometimes i start a sentance then get half way threw the sentence and forget what i was saying.

Also if i don't write down things i need people to get from the shops i forget.

Please get it checked buy your doctor because you can't put everything down to fibro..

Hope you get some answers soon.

Karen

x
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby Tunes » Wed May 15, 2013 7:50 am

Oh yes ive had the fog the inability to talk properly for a few yrs yes very frustrating and embarassing but not alot you can do ifxanyone has any idea how u can help please let me know. All i do now is try and think b4 i speak and talk slower. !!!! Not sure if that will help you. But at least you know its quite normal for us fibro sufferers;-)
Tunes
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Wed May 15, 2013 9:13 am

fibrofog was the main reason I gave up teaching! (I didn't know what it was and was quite worried as I was undiagnosed at that time). I was finding that some days I either used the wrong words or wors, could not find any words I wanted - impossible when you're trying to teach - imagine; "..and this is called the... the ..er the thing..... the... -" you get the picture? some days I was fine but others were awful. Discipline was so difficult on those days. i dont know if there's anything to be done for it but I hope there is so that you can continue to teach with confidence. I did try to laugh it off with the class but that's no good when they need the knowledge to pass exams!
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 15, 2013 10:04 am

Unfortunately it is part of Fibro Fog Ali :( :( :( :( :( :( Basically we lose some of our mental clarity and develop problems with memory, which can have a significant impact on our lives, as you are finding with work and home life. When it strikes it can leave you wondering if you did or didn't do something which is never a good place to find yourself in :pull-hair: :pull-hair: :pull-hair:

It can affect us in all sorts of ways, from the more simple things such as losing things or transposing digits in a phone number thru to things that severely impact quality of life, such as finding that it is too dangerous to drive as it can leave you less aware of your surroundings.

Being overstimulated can make things feel even worse, as can not being able to sleep well and feeling even more pain.

When the missing words thing hits me, providing my brain is in something resembling a gear, I've started throwing in the most random word I can come up with. The looks on the faces of the people I'm with when I manage to do it are priceless :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby vmvseoa » Wed May 15, 2013 10:18 am

As FP says, it's part and parcel of the condition. I like the idea of using the most random word you can think of, might try that.
vmvseoa
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 15, 2013 10:34 am

vmvseoa wrote:As FP says, it's part and parcel of the condition. I like the idea of using the most random word you can think of, might try that.

When you get into the random word groove, try using norty ones as well, even better looks on faces :shock: :shock: :yikes: :yikes:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Alityke » Wed May 15, 2013 6:36 pm

I've been struggling to "find" words for the last 4 years but last summer was so bad I was referred for an MRI as my GP thought I may have had a stroke or TIA. I also had a 6 week memory hole and had had an unexplained rise in BP and constant hemiplegic migraine all together. Nothing wrong with my brain at all, thankfully.

It all made sense when the Rhuematologist told me I have Fibro symptoms. It never affects my written work just verbal comms but I've found my colleagues are understanding.
Alityke
UKFM Member

Postby Ali43 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:28 am

Thanks peeps, your repies have made me feel its not just me going mad :roll: the kds i am working with at min just laugh at me n say miss is having one of her mad days but that is because they know me lol! Will just have to wait n c how things go xx
Ali43
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia