strange neck clunking

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

strange neck clunking

Postby Wackers34 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:30 pm

This is a strange one...

I may have mentioned it before, but does anyone get a rather strange "clunking" in the top of their neck / bottom of head?

Clunking is the only way I can describe it, as thats what it sounds like inside..I can just be sitting there and it does it, without me moving it....its like an involuntary contraction / spasm but only lasts seconds...only problem is, its happening more frequently... It also makes my head move a little when it does it, a bit like a tic.

I get all the usual grinding / clicking noises when I turn my neck also...

It only seems to happen when im sitting still or relaxing and sometimes wakes me from sleep?

Im on the neurology list so probably a rather long waiting lists! Just wondered if anyone else had this rather unusual symptom?

Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: strange neck clunking

Postby Wackers34 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks Kristina and Sandra...its nice to know sometimes you are not alone and going mad with these things!

I wonder then if I have start of osteoarthritis in neck and thats whats causing it? I have been tested few times for RA so far neagtive, dad has it so i don't know if that makes me more at risk for it...I have no swelling anywhere

My joints all crack and pop too, but neck is the only one that clunks on its own without moving...yes does feel like head is broken!

Is there anything that can e done to ease / help this...any excercise? diet? meds?
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby lindaloola » Wed May 15, 2013 7:32 pm

omg me too its been scaring me and getting worse, Ive been wondering if its part of fibro or something else, sometimes it just clunks and sometimes it really hurts as well, anyone know what it is?
:roll:
lindaloola
UKFM Member

Postby babajane32 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:26 pm

I have straight cervical spine with degrading facets so have been X-ray ed and scanned heaps....I have similar noises and clunking that has worsened over the years often getting painfull....mine is more acute and pain radiates from the damage..... But! The creaking and clunking is not the bone it's the tendons, apparently common with fibro too! And as you age or with muscle related problems the tendons shorten more than for most people....it's the tendons being too short that kind of clunk and make noises inside your head and neck...movement can amplify it as the tendons sort of pull over the muscles...sorry it's not the best way of describing g&t,but hope it helps and always too many worries, though always worth getting checked out. Ban news is there's not heaps that can be done. Mine are often soo bad I can't lift my head or stand the weight of it...no collar though as its a downward spiral as support means the tendons shorten more!
babajane32
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia