is walking a good idea?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

is walking a good idea?

Postby Wackers34 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:00 pm

My friends who live local, who know of my condition are trying to start a couch to 5km walk...they said starting very slowly and building up each week...at 8pm each week...

Is this a good idea? Is it too late? Im not sure, I can probably do 10 mins and then thats it.

Does anyone else do regular walking or what are your excercise experiences?

5 months ago i was playing tennis 1 x a week and zumba 1 x a week, so was fairly active before but haven't tried this level of activity yet

:o)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: is walking a good idea?

Postby clubsound4 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:18 pm

I have just had a chat with my doc who is very sympathetic to the condition(he has MS) he said walking is one of the best things even if its only round your lounge then you wont seize up, Ive had pains in the calves of my legs recently, the muscles tighten and then seem to snap !! not pleasant,, I have to keep moving I have a dog and like a nice stroll in the evening with her although it takes 5 times as long as what it used to at least im still mobile!! I wouldn't qualify for the Olympics but you got to plough on ,,soft hugs x
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby djclall » Fri May 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi Wackers34,

I am not sure if walking bit by bit is a good idea or not. But i am also going to try it. I have signed up for this years Race for Life on 23rd June, so i am going to see how long i, myself, can walk before having to take to my wheelchair. Personally i would say listen to your body. It will tell you when to stop. Is there someone that can walk with you with maybe a wheelchair close by?. Ideally someone who is supportive and doesn't push you physically to far. Also do any of your friends suffer with this horrible fibro?. I have found that even though friends know you, they don't always understand the pain we go through just to get to the end of each day. Also it is never too late to test your abilities, as though to speak. Like the saying "you never know until you try".

Good luck and take your time.
Gentle hugs
xx
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby Panda58 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:52 pm

I walk our dog once if not twice a day sometimes it takes me longer than other days but I enjoy the fact I am out and the dog does not mind how long I take. When it is very bad weather my husband takes him. The gp also said if I could do some exec rise that would be good. :-D :-D xxx
Panda58
UKFM Member

Postby tamar01 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi there - my answer would be yes. I know it totally depends how bad your fibro is etc, but there is a lot of research around now to suggest that the worst thing you can do if you suffer from FM is to stop moving and exercising. It appears, from the research, that exercise and keeping mobile helps with pain, mobility, stiffness etc. I have had FM for about 3 years now. The worst mine ever got was at the beginning when I stopped exercising and moving about, as due to the pain, people advised me to stop doing anything as I wasn't sure what it was. Since that time I have read up a lot on exercise and FM and have tried to keep as active as I possibly can whilst living with the pain and flare-ups etc.

Exercise for me has been fantastic and made my FM better and easier to deal with. I know it is different for everyone but that is my experience anyway and the research tends to back it up. I try and walk quite a lot and am now training up for a 10 mile sponsored walk later this year. I sometimes have to walk through the pain, and sometimes after doing some walking or exercising, I can hardly walk for a short time due to stiffness and pain! But I have found that although it is very uncomfortable and difficult sometimes, after a couple of days to recover, I am ok and there do not seem to be any long term adverse effects from exercising. Obviously you have to pace yourself and go easy during a flare-up etc, and I don't expect to be running a marathon any day soon(!), but just wanted to share my experiences and the research with you, and to say walking has been a good exercise for me and I have no doubt that it has made my FM less severe so far.
Good luck!
tamar01
UKFM Newbie

Postby tonydin » Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 pm

yes best thing you can do try some nordic walking poles great help ,, and try to do more than you feel you can do ie pudh through just a bit ,, when i walk for 10mins im like 80 year old then i pass through a pain barrier and march like a sas troper :-D

im not saying cripple yourself but if you stop when your body tells you mm u will never improve no pain no gain has never been trurer
its no differant to a marothon runner only scaled right down to walking slightly longer and quicker each time

will never stop hurting though just do the rest of you good
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:35 pm

This was something that I covered during some recent sessions I had for CFS (got both the FM and CFS collectors card in my folder :( :( :( ) and as tamar has said, research does indicate that doing some form exercise is beneficial to us in a variety of ways, from stopping us ceasing up to helping with moods.

What is important tho is that what ever you decide to do, you do it at the right pace for your body, regardless of what your mind is saying you should be doing. And start off very, very gently with the aim of gently building up what you can do/how far you go/how long you do something for.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Wackers34 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks everyone...

I think i will give it a go, the first session try 10 mins, just walking to my friends house and back is this.

None of them have fibro, but one of them does have chronic back problems and other issues.

Tamar01 - that is truly inspirational. I hope you manage to do the 10 mile walk.

Do not have a wheelchair or sticks, haven't felt the need for these yet...I do work part time and have two small kids to run around after, so this keeps me fairly busy, but just haven't tried this sort of excercise regime yet.

Its very interesting hearing different views. I do know someone with fibro who still manages to do zumba, at a slower level, she refuses to let it rule her life. Its amazing how different we all are and what are bodies can achieve. Some people of course have other health issues which make it harder to pursue activity

I will let you know how I get on
xx
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby Laus2002 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Hello,

I'm afraid I can't help you with the walking aspect of your question as I have to use a mobility scooter, however I just wanted to add that I feel it's definitely worth a go. I have recently started swimming again, I used to go most days about 5 years ago but we moved house and so I stopped and didn't realise there was a local hotel with excellent swimming facilities and lovely (warm!) water nearby. I started 3 weeks ago now and I have to say, I'm feeling better than I have in a very long time. I feel like I did pre-FM in the water and find myself more supple afterwards as well. I started off gently but am now going around 4-5 times a week and find myself feeling stiffer and slightly more sorry for myself on the days where I don't go. So in my opinion not only is it fantastic for me physically, it's also a great boost mentally as swimming feels like something I'm doing just for me, that FM hasn't managed to take from me yet and that is the best feeling of all!

Good luck!

Laura
Laus2002
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat May 18, 2013 2:36 am

My suggestion....walk as much as you can. Know your limits but push yourself to them. Walking is the best exercise for fibro as far as all the Dr's I have seen......good luck
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 pm

I go geocaching, which means I can manage to walk on more challenging terrain that if I just went for a walk, since I'm stopping frequently. I take it steady, and I take a walking pole with me for support, and whilst the 16 miles on Saturday was a mistake (it was on the canal towpath so it was flat, at least!), I can manage to walk further than I could by just walking.
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Last summer we went to Disneyworld, for months I built up my stamina by walking further and further each day. By my hols I managed to walk all the way around Disney 13 out of the 14 days. Unfortunately I have had a dreadful winter and it still hasn't settled so I am back to square one. But the answer is yes, although personally I would struggle to do it at 8pm, but you know your own body x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 pm

Doing whatever you can without over stretching yourself has to be a good idea. The less you do the stiffer and less mobile you become but its finding the balance that is the hardest thing in my opinion so good luck and I hope you manage to get a bit of fitness back
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby charley » Thu May 23, 2013 11:16 pm

I've been constantly told by Drs/Physios/everyone that walking is a really good idea. Even if it's only a few minutes at a time, just kind of try and gradually build it up. Even if you are having a really bad flare up, you should try and walk somewhere (I know, the thought is unbearable). But staying in bed (or where ever you prefer to be) actually makes flare ups worse and makes them last longer. I was told even just walking down stairs, or into the kitchen to get a drink can be helpful :)
Being at uni, and not being able to have/afford a car, I have to walk everywhere, and I find that it can actually help. Now that I walk so much more, my flare ups don't occur as often as they used to :)
charley
UKFM Member

Postby JessL » Fri May 24, 2013 11:44 am

My dr/physio have both mentioned that walking and exercise is one of the best things to do - but start slowly and build it up. I do a Pilates class once a week, and I also horse ride - at least once a week. I feel like Pilates is good as depending on how I feel I can tailor each exercise to my ability that week - my instructor always provides easier options for each exercise. Horse riding I find helps in a couple of ways as it gets me outside, and I find even being around the horses is a joy in itself. Even if I don't feel up to riding I still try to walk round the field so I try and make sure I am as active as I feel like I can be each week.
JessL
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia