is walking a good idea?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: is walking a good idea?

Postby Wackers34 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies...its really encouraging to see so many people who are being active or say that walking is good. :-D

I actually have done one better and got referred by my doctor to do an activate scheme at a local gym...A physical trainer works with you and they tailor a regime to your medical condition.I have to do twice a week for 12 weeks... Did my first session yesterday, managed 20 mins on treadmill, bike, weights etc...I ache today quite bad (but I probably would have done anyway as haven't been to a gym in years)

I just ignored the pain and got on with my day taking the kids to an adventure park...now its not too bad.

This has really given me the boost now to also try the walking...

Lolo73 I cannot believe you managed to walk Disney World for 13 days...we were meant to go to Euro disney this week (booked it last year pre fibro) had to cancel it as didnt think i could manage it...now I reckon I could have given it a shot...oh well maybe next year :-)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Sun May 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Taken advantage of this sunny weather :-) been on a two hour walk I live in a semi rural area 5 min and you are in the country , all you could hear was the birds singing merrily away , hedgerow all out some smell so sweet ,flowers :flowers: in full bloom, perfume from them is lovely , little lambs with there mum's in the field's :sheep: , further a long there was horse 's in an other field cantering about :horse_running:

Going to start Sunday lunch now , then after get my book go in the conservatory have a read then will probably fall asleep :sleep: :sleep: after my walk but had a really nice morning .
My OH will be able to watch the cricket in peace :lol: :lol:
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby Wackers34 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:43 pm

just an update...

Have been finding walking has been helping with my stamina and pain..not my fatigue though :o(

As part of a GP referral scheme, called Activate, I actually have started gym sessions x 2 a week for 20-30 mins each session..hurt first time quite severly, but by 2nd and 3rd it has got better.

I also managed day trip to Legoland on Monday, walked 9:30 - 6pm (with lunch inbetween) and was actually ok next day.

Lolo73 - how on earth did you manage 13 days around Disney? We had to cancel our Euro disney this year as I didn't think I could do it and that was for only 5 days...I think sometimes we underestimate our capabilities, or at least I do anyway

Thanks all for the advice on this and its really encouraging to see so many people getting active or saying that being active is a good thing :-D
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:54 pm

I do believe exercise helps but for me walking just makes me worse. When I was first diagnosed I used to walk a lot as part of my job but I just kept on getting worse and g.p had to make me reduce it. I tried doing shorter walks each day, even after I quit work but it never got any easier. Now I can't walk unaided at all outdoors and even aided only around 30 metres otherwise I get a lot worse.today I walked down a short path from the car to the river with my rollator, stopping regularly. The walk took me less than 5 mins I'd say and really wasn't far at all but my pain is now through the roof as is my fatigue and I had to Come to bed at 7. I went to assess it for walking and for my scooter. Next time I'll be on the scooter as it was way too much for me.

On a bad day I need a wheelchair round the house even and just walking to the loo from my bed is really hard.

However, swimming is a completely different kettle of fish. This I can tolerate and find very beneficial. Pre relapse I was up to 14 lengths twice a week. 25 metres each length. Now I'm rebuilding and on Thursday had got back to 8 lengths. I also tolerate an exercise bike fairly well and find this keeps my legs from seizing too badly. I've joined the gym at my local pool and get gym and swim for £21.50 a month. So far only done my induction which was only her showing me how things work as I need my carer with me when I go for real to assist me. I'll e using the bikes and hopefully the treadmill to see if I can walk any better that way.

Fibro effects everyone differently. So if u can walk then do. I think some people think I gave up trying to walk but I never, I tried so hard to do it, to push through, then to pace and just do a bit but the result has always been the same no matter how much I keep trying so I think for me its just nt something my body can cope with. I do think my m.e plays a part in this though not just my fibro.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia