Fibro and dental problems

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and dental problems

Postby sheila300 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi guys.

I had a routine check-up at the dentist's earlier today and she told me that having Fibro makes my gums worse. I also have a condition called Galactosemia (intolerance to milk/dairy products) which I was born with. Due to that my calcium level is not as high as other people without that condition and I have Oestoporosis. Unfortunately, the bones connected to my teeth are very thin and wearing away.
What I didn't know is that having Fibro makes the Oestoporosis much worse.
Does anyone else have dental problems?

Sorry to be a pain - I guess tonight I feel more sore than usual (having been prodded and poked by the dentist/hygienist).

Any comments will be gratefully received.

Hugs 2 all . Sheila :-)
sheila300
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro and dental problems

Postby lil-burkie » Fri May 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi I get a lot of tooth ache for no reason other than fibro, I also have developed a whole in the front of my top big tooth that isnt painful but I am guessing is a sign of tooth secay again linked to fibro as I brush my teeth regularly x
lil-burkie
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:11 pm

I really look after my teeth but every time I go to the dentist I need work doing. I never need a scale and polish because my teeth are clean but I have about 20 fillings. I do feel that I have a lot of jaw tension and I grind my teeth a bit, it really annoys me. :-x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby Picklepudding » Fri May 17, 2013 8:28 pm

I have tooth pain that I've had for a few years and the dentists can't work out what the problem is. I've had xrays which show nothing and have had fillings replaced but nothing makes any difference. Apparantly I badly grind my teeth...I've tried a night guard but couldn't get on with it. The dentist said one scale of 1-10 where 1 is someone who doesn't grind thir teeth, I'm on a 9.5! I'm going to wear my teeth away!
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby Laus2002 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:02 pm

Hello there,

I just wanted to say it can also be a side effect of medication. I recently had to have two teeth removed due to decay and was told my my dentist that although I also have TMJ syndrome, the decay was probably caused by dry mouth which is a side effect of the Duloxetine I take for my FM.

I hope this helps.

Laura
Laus2002
UKFM Member

Postby kazlee0608 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 pm

The grinding teeth(Bruxism) is quite common. Ive ground myine down so many times and had the rebuilt. Unfortunately, they arent going to last much longer :mrgreen:
kazlee0608
UKFM Newbie

Postby Picklepudding » Sat May 18, 2013 12:10 am

Kazlee, do you mean that the grinding teeth is common for all people or common in fibro? x
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby kazlee0608 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:08 am

From what iv'e read on internet and on other groups, yes I believe its common. It drives me nuts, as I don't even realise I'm doing it.

Kaz x
kazlee0608
UKFM Newbie

Postby cocobella » Sun May 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi,

This is ashame that you have osteoporosis as I know it can be very disabling and debilitating. I think the fact you have a condition where you can't take dairy can be adding to your problem with osteoporosis. I think fibromyalgia usually coincides with conditions such as osteoporosis, arthritis, MS etc, because usually those conditions have started pain somewhere in the body, then after months of suffering with that pain your brain starts getting mucked up pain messages! (fibro) this then starts the fibromyalgia cycle. This is why a lot of people who have fibro usually have a condition alongside it. Are there any supplements you can take or can you get injections etc for your calcium?? That must be extremely difficult.
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Sat May 25, 2013 6:25 pm

My Dentist is trying to get me to wear a dental dam at night to stop clenching teeth together since the enamel is worn away and I have sensitivity to cold foods and liquids. He also think it might help fibro. I hate wearing it though and it is one more thing to put up with trying to get to sleep.

The only time I clench my teeth together is when I am stressed usually trying to fix bugs on my computer or noise from neighbours, not in the middle of the night, but he keep lecturing me like a child. He says, "if your not getting much sleep anyway it doesn't matter."
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby perseus » Sat May 25, 2013 6:29 pm

kazlee0608 wrote:The grinding teeth(Bruxism) is quite common. Ive ground myine down so many times and had the rebuilt. Unfortunately, they arent going to last much longer :mrgreen:

What does rebuilding them involve? I think he has similar plans for me!
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Postby kazlee0608 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:22 am

Perseus, I too have to wear a gumshield at night. Although, the dentist suggested wearing one in the day as well, cos apparently im a serious grinder lol. The rebuilding involves putting a clamp thingy around the tooth and just building it up again. Mine need doing again, but im scared of my dentist cos she tells me off, ha ha. Naughty girl for not wearing my shield. Trouble is im constantly doing it 24 hrs and cant control it
kazlee0608
UKFM Newbie

Postby perseus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:55 pm

I think teeth normally have a degree of self repair, and I'm beginning to wonder if the fibro condition may be responsible for the poor collagen repair system in both joints and teeth. Collagen makes up the fibrous tissue surrounding muscle and dentine in teeth.

I may discuss low level laser therapy with my dentist next time

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CE8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwaltza.co.za%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F01%2FWALT-LASER%2520THERAPY%2520IN%2520THE%2520TREATMENT%2520OF%2520DENTAL%2520HYPERSENSITIVITY%2520A%2520Histologic%2520Study%2520And%2520Clinical%2520Application.pdf&ei=bBjDUcvpCMTrPIvXgIAB&usg=AFQjCNFCzxvhBG7347s2wcDCvzTFZzetWw&bvm=bv.48175248,d.ZWU

I wish I understood how to post URLs properly especially the ones with long URLs from google search
perseus

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia