Brain Fog

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Brain Fog

Postby janlou » Mon May 20, 2013 11:18 am

I have heard a little about this, I started to feel like I could not do my job correctly.I worked in a busy day nursery and I was finding I could not think correctly, finding simple tasks very hard to do.Also I was avoiding doing things, because I felt useless. The worst part of this was when I driving my car, my reactions were slow and I felt that I could not drive!!!! So I gave it up :(

Has anyone else felt like this? :crazy:
janlou
UKFM Member

Re: Brain Fog

Postby Pipsie » Mon May 20, 2013 12:44 pm

I have this, I used to be very articulate, and very organised. Nowadays I just blither and cannot remember words, as if my mind is entirely empty at times. I had to give up job as a carer because I was forgetting things... I remember one day doing a hand over, and I couldn't remember anyone's name or what had happened. I had to keep looking at their profile, the moment I looked up I'd lost my train of thought completely. This and my collapsing all over the shop means I am unable to work. It was a sad when I realised the 92 year chap I cared for was in a better state than me! LOL
I also had to give up driving; I ran through a mini roundabout, luckily the white van to my left was on ball, and he missed me with no more than a fag paper to spare. It's not so much that the information or ability has left me entirely, it is just no longer at my beck and call. I could organise everyone's meds, new exactly who was on what, which dose and when. Now I struggle to remember mine...
I can't read books, either. My brain will not retain the information, if my eyes even allow me to see the print instead of a swirling mass. This for me is a real twist of the knife as I love to read, and when you are incapacitated by fibro, unable to leave the house, reading would be a great time filler. I do listen to books on tape but again, the information rarely sticks.
Lists, calendars, and putting everything back in exactly the same place are the only ways I cope now.
You will find ways of coping, don't fear that. I am very sorry for you though, it is really the poo-ey icing on the cruddy cake, is fibro fog.
Lots of love,
Px
Pipsie
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon May 20, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi janlou

Yep I have this too. I work in finance and I too like Pipsie used to be articulate, organised - even had the nickname of Monica (as in the Friends character I was so organsied and ontop of everything lol) Now though I'm more of a Pheobe (a bit scatty lol)

Now I have lists upon lists, reminders with alarms on my phone and a small filofax diary I don't leave the house without. When I need to remember something I put it in my phone with an alarm straight away and also put it in my diary. Doing this twice may sound repetetive but it helps stick in my mind much better,

At work I have reminders set on my e-mail for things I need to do each day and for certain monthly reports I've set a reoccuring notification to help me.

These days it takes me a bit longer to get tasks completed and sometimes my brain just goes completely blank and I forget what i was doing seconds before lol. I sued to get really really upset and wound up but found this actually made me worse.

No though when it does happen I try and stay calm, take a few breaths and eventually it comes back to me.

In terms of driving, if you feel unable to drive safely it is better to just not to, as you don't want to risk your life or anyone elses. I'm able to drive but for 10 minutes maximum so that is what I stick to. Luckily I work 5 mins away from home 9I walk there on good days) and all the local amenities are a 5 min drive away.

As Pipsie said you will find ways of coping with the different things FM throws at you. Maybe try having a big calender in the main room of your house - big enough so you can clearly write appointments, birthdays, tasks etc or even a white board. You can get some quite funky and nice ones out there these days.

Other than that try not to get wound up too much about it and if anyone says anything just say you're having "one of those days" lol that's my line with people who don't really know me and saves me explaining the full story lol.

Hope that helps
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby yummyhunnybunny » Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 pm

Me too, I used to work in Reception in local primary school and took early retirement 18 months ago for just this reason. I felt I was old before my time! and thought it was time to pack in when the kids were having to find my pen, my book, my bag etc cos I did'nt know where I left them!......I enjoy baking and now have to line up all the ingredients to make sure I have put them all in the bowl.....I had to adopt this method as I made chocolate brownie and wondered why it did'nt set in the oven then realised that I'd omitted the eggs! :yikes: ...I have days though when it is worse than others. I too have to reread when I have a book and sometimes reread again, then I don't know whats going on so I put the book down for a day when I can concentrate more.. :roll: It is hard to think that I was so efficient not so long since.......but there we are. I am learning to pace myself so I try to do what I am capable of on that day. Hope you feel better soon. J.x
yummyhunnybunny
UKFM Member

Postby janlou » Mon May 20, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks everyone it is so hard to get around this, but I have calander with all what I need to know....I asked my son what he did at school other day, must of been 5mins later I asked him again because I had totally forgot.

Also watching TV, they is times when I just dont know what has happened in the proggramme...very strange :-?
janlou
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Mon May 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Lol janlou I tend to zone out sometimes when watching TV and I'm often asking the OH to explain something that just happened lol. happens when I read to, I can read the same page 5 times and not take a word in lol.

Oh the joys of FM hey :-)
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby djclall » Mon May 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi

I have found a great way to deal with 'fibrofog'. Just laugh at yourself. Especially when you are in company and you forget what you are talking about or thinking about or when you get your words either mixed up or just can't remember what word you want. Rather than others looking at you like you are a true mental case or, worse, the look of sympathy. I hate that look!!. So by my reckoning if you laugh at yourself it's no worse than them laughing at you or them thinking that you are embarrassed.

I have had so many moments that i don't care to remember, well actually i would love to remember but hey ho. Lol. But easily the worst and scariest one for me is again due to driving. I went from my home to the next town, which is about 2 miles and parked in the town centre car park. Turned off my engine and just sat there and burst into tears. My 3 kids looked at me like i was mad!!. Until my youngest who was 4 at the time said to me " Mummy. Why are you crying?". Firstly i forgot that my kids were in the car with me and secondly......i couldn't remember ANY of the journey!!!. I was panicking wondering how i was going to get home. I had to ask my son, who at the time was 16, to be my ears and eyes and tell me the route back home. There was lots i had to do in town but all i was concerned about was getting us all back safely. Well we made it home albeit slowly but we were home and that's all that mattered. I phoned my hubby who is an HGV driver and told him what happened. He told me to ask a neighbour to park my car somewhere safe until he came home at the weekend. He is away all week. That weekend he came home, took my car keys and parked my car in the garage. And then wouldn't give me my keys back. I was so annoyed at him but also understood his concern. A few weeks later i sold my car. Now i have a mobility scooter. But i am just as bad with that. Keep forgetting what way is back and what way is forward. And the amount of pushchairs i have attched myself too is unreal. Luckily most parents are ok and the kids are never hurt. Lol, you should see some shops after i have left. Feel sorry for the staff.

Take care and soft hugs xx
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby janlou » Mon May 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Aw what are we all like? Its funny sometimes coz my kids say " mam you always repeat yourself" which is just what I do..Will be using post it notes around the house !!! :crazy:
janlou
UKFM Member

Postby djclall » Mon May 20, 2013 7:06 pm

Hey janlou. You should see my fridge. Or should i say all the reminders, appointment letters, kids stuff, calenders with reminders on, repeat prescriptions (because if i don't put them there, i forget where i put them) and anything else to remember. Have to keep buying fridge magnets and overlapping all sorts of paperwork. Fridge looks so empty when i remove it all to clean. Pmsl. x
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby janlou » Tue May 21, 2013 9:25 am

Yes thats what my kitchen wall looks like!!! Just trying to keep up with everyday tasks :-)
janlou
UKFM Member

Postby julia1red » Sun May 26, 2013 9:06 pm

Just thought I would share , it's been a very painful two weeks and fibro fog been bad, but had to laugh or I would cry, my hubby gave me £60 to pay a bill, when he asked if I had pAyed it I said I hadn't been good so hadn't been out so he asked for the money so he could pay it well we searched high and low could we find it, hubby getting bit annoyed so last ditch effort he searched the bin and there it was oh dear im getting worse :(
:yikes:
julia1red
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:58 pm

I find this element of FMS so embarrassing and frustrating a few close friends are quite happy to go with it and try and keep me on track. I find new people difficult to talk to because I lose my train of thought easily. I find I have to be much more cautious when driving, things like checking at junctions a bit extra or looking for hazards/children x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:11 pm

I have problems with fibro fog all the time, my boyfriend just calls me dipsey. When i try and say a word a few times and it just wont come out, i normally go "oh forget it, i cant be bothered " lol easy way to get out of it, lucky my boyfriend just laughs at me. I have lists on my phone, in my diary, things to do each day on my phone and in my diary, yet i come to the end of the day and realise i didnt check my phone or diary and forgot half the things i was meant to do. Have alarms on my phone to remind me to take tablets, but also forget to take the tablets when the alarm goes off lol. Very annoying it is lol.
Vic x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia