Rant from an useless 'oldie?'

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Rant from an useless 'oldie?'

Postby Izzy44 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:24 am

I have suffered with auto immune conditions since 19 yrs old and now have fibro and beathing problems. I trained as a teacher, became a special needs co ordinator until I was retired thro' ill health in my 50s! A story many will probably recognise. I always have done my best to look after myself (I live alone). I am now 69.
I am totally fed up at hearing over and over again that the NHS is getting into a mess because of older people living longer. Are we supposed to apologise for this? Are we to be 'put down' when considered to be 'past our sell by date'? There are many ways in which the NHS could be improved without this constant blame on ageing population.
Although being granted motability and lower dla for life, I have had to re-apply, just adding more stress to an already stressful life. I know others in similar situations, the vulnerable being targetted again. I am beginning to wonder if it is even worth living in this uncaring society and having spent my working life trying to make things better for the 'special' people of our society, I feel we have slipped backwards.
I hope I don't sound self pitying, I realize so many of us are suffering but this is the only place I can let rip! My family still don't fully understand my condition but I do have a local support group and good friends. However, I don't feel it right to go on and on about how I feel about all this. And this age thing is really getting to me at the moment, especially having been brought up when our elders were respected. Gentle hugs and love to all who are suffering in whatever ways.
Izzy44
UKFM Newbie

Re: Rant from an useless 'oldie?'

Postby fibro-lu » Thu May 23, 2013 10:51 am

Hi Izzy,
and :welcome:

rant as much as you like
that's one good point about this board amongst many others

please don't put yourself down as useless
regardless what people think or say

you know your achivements in life and
you know what is right in a society and that all people deserve respect

don't let it grind you down
maybe you could get along someone and voice your voice for them?
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby suelynn » Thu May 23, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi Izzy its good to have a rant sometimes I think most of us are fed up with all the changes and the fact that people with disabilities and people over a certain age are being targeted. The Government needs to wake up and stop victimizing us and giving us stress that none of us needs.
Gentle Hugs and keep your chin up.
suelynn
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu May 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi Izzy, I still believe our elders should be respected and we as a society should care for our most vulnerable without that how can we dare to call ourselves civilised ,so rant away,you are probably just backing up what others feel.
Trying to get family to understand us is so difficult and you are not alone,that's why this forum is a lifeline to so many as others understand every little ache and pain.

Hope venting a little has helped you feel a little better,I sometimes find just getting it all out can make you feel better.

Take care and please don't feel useless given your experience s you have a lot to share. If up to it have you tried the university of the third age. It is a great organisation for getting older people together who still have something to give . Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Izzy44 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:37 am

Thank you all for giving me a positive boost and hopefully I can pass on the boosts others need in many ways. Strangely enough a U3A has started nearby and I think I may give that a try! When calm, I realize I am in a much better situation than many. I now often miss listening to the news (get's me on my soap box) and shall try to focus on the 'can do' rather than 'can't'. Stress certainly doesn't help fibro. Yesterday went with friends to a wonderful place called Blue Pool in Dorset and had a taste of what life is really about, good friends, beautiful signs of nature and delicious food (we had a picnic) so lots of fun. Again thank you and gentle hugs.
Izzy44
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia