Serotonin

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Serotonin

Postby katz65 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Hello :wave:
I am not sure if this is in the right place but here's hoping :!:
I was trying to let a friend of mine understand about serotonin maybe being a factor in fibro & wanted to share it on facebook so she could click on & read it..

So I was wandering if anyone could help me out as to whether firstly that this maybe a fact & secondly if they knew of any write up I could put on my fb wall?

One of my reasons for doing this is that I drink diet coke & she's trying to say its a cause & yet I haven't always drank it or even for that long, I think its more on the fact it has aspartaine in it. She has about a year ago become a reformed smoker & drinker of alchole, so has quit both. Now she does write ups everyday about how these two items harm the body in so many ways & now she is doing diet coke/aspartaine & knows I have a couple of cans of it a day as my treat & I don't drink any booze & haven't for over 16 years & in the last couple of years I decided I liked diet coke as my treat.

I was trying to explain that there is not much known about causes but I had heard about the serotonin & wanted to show her, so any ideas or help would be very useful if there is anything.

katz65
UKFM Member

Re: Serotonin

Postby kazza65 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Interesting as years back when i was first diagnosed it was all about the serotonin levels which was the cause of fibromyalgia.

Having low levals meaning not getting the rem sleep needed for the body to recover ment pain levals were high as the body never relaxed hense the stiffness/fatigue

But now :-? when seeing a consultant with my daughter its all about the pain reseptors. see here

Research shows the pain control system in the skin, spinal cord, and brain of fibromyalgia patients is overloaded, offering a reason for why you ache all over. In particular, immune cells that generally do not cause pain contribute to the flu-like fibro symptoms that make your whole body hurt.

If the above was the case then its more of a neurological condition :?:

I dont really think they know what the cause is and it could be a number of things as you mentuoned about the aspartaine and theres also mention of the mercury fillings and all sorts of *could be's*

Maybe have a search up top in the search bar as im sure theres many topics that have been put over the years to help you
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby katz65 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Just want to thanks to kazza65 & Lisa for your responses,I will do both your suggestions.
katz65
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia