Blue badge

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blue badge

Postby mililly » Tue May 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Has anyone applied for and been successful in getting a blue badge. I've been told you dont have to be in receipt of dla to get one. I'm finding it very difficult geting in and out of car and also walking any distance at the minute.
mililly
UKFM Member

Re: Blue badge

Postby rickysmrs » Tue May 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Sorry Millie its the new ruling you do have to be in recipet of dla (well in wiltshire any how)
rickysmrs
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Tue May 28, 2013 6:38 pm

hi Milily,

http://local.direct.gov.uk/LDGRedirect/ ... 279&LGIL=0

think this should get you started
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby mabel » Tue May 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Got blue badge eventually and it really helps in life.
Was turned down the first time as they said I could walk further than the set distance required to be eligible!
Applied again a year later and was successful. I am not receiving DLA or any other benefits and am living in London.
Good luck!
mabel
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi my friend has been turned down twice for one as she isn't on DLA. But i say no harm in trying only way you will find out. I think it is harder now to get one with all the clamping down on benefits. I wish you luck x
padders
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue May 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Is this Blue Badge a parking permit for a person with disabilities?

If so I am wondering what the regulations are in UK. Here in Ontario the fine is $450 for parking in a spot. The permit stays with the holder not the car, that way the disabled person can be in anyone's car.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby mililly » Tue May 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi

Thanks. Checked up and you can apply if you dont receive dla you have to have a medical instead. Probably will be refused but will try again and again.
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby Roch » Tue May 28, 2013 7:59 pm

I have not read that you have to be in receipt of dla for a blue badge. My council state that if you are in receipt of high rate mobility dla then it is automatic entitlement of a blue badge but if you are not in receipt of high rate mobility then it depends on your health conditions and how much evidence you have to back up your claim. I would def say try but make sure you have plenty of supporting evidence, the more the better(OTreprt, hospital letters) x
Roch
UKFM Newbie

Postby mililly » Tue May 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi

I will do thanks. I know it hss its flare ups and downs but every little helps. I cant believe how far i cant walk without pain and hours later it feels like ive run a double marathon..
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby Jules62 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi Milly, as a Fibro sufferer, walking was getting worse and worse, the pain was awful, always having to stop, sit down or lean against something. I applied for a Blude Badge numerous times, would request the form send it off and then letter saying sorry!!. anyway, i applied about 3 more times, in the end i sent a letter explaining how bad i was, how far i could walk, etc. I even offered to go for a medical, I got the badge, and its been great, i can park in disabled bays, which usually saves on walking far. I have asthma too, which leaves me breathless, so im thankful that the department believed me eventually. I do not get DLA, so keep trying Milly.
Jules62
UKFM Newbie

Postby anonymouse » Tue May 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi mililly,

Thought I would add my understanding to thread.

The Blue Badge Scheme although national is administrated by county councils when it comes to applications. You do not have to be in receipt of Higher Rate Mobility DLA, however if you are then you meet the criteria automatically and should be issued with a badge, obviously you have to send a copy of your award certificate. You can also get one depending on the additional criteria they set, if you ask for an application pack they will send you details of what you need. You will have to send in more information, medical reports etc and basically show your virtually unable to walk to the required standard. I know its pretty much impossible to get one for temporary conditions (which I don't agree with) as temporary can be an awful long time but hey, I don't make the rules. Just make sure you include a bundle of evidence as other users have suggested. Also if your do have higher rate mobility you are entitled to free road tax, you have to change your vehicle class to disabled but its fairly easy to do. Fibromyalgia is my primary condition and the one that effects my mobility most and I have a Blue Badge but also DLA etc (took three years to fight it mind).

If you meet the conditions then I wish you luck with your application.

Anonymouse
Fibro, Chronic Pain, Insomnia, Psoriasis, Migraines, Light & Hyper Sensitivity & Joint Subluxation but apart from that I am perfectly healthy & battling for ESA & DLA. - Twitter: my_fibromyalgia - Facebook: myfibromyalgia
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Wed May 29, 2013 3:55 am

I was allowed one, first time of applying, I dont get DLA, I had to have an assessment.

Good luck xx
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed May 29, 2013 12:21 pm

Anonymouse.......when you say you can't get a blue badge temporarily does that also include if you have broken limbs and need one?
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby anonymouse » Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Yes apparently so, I don't agree with it myself but that is supposed to be the case. As they are controlled by county councils there may be some that relax the rules but I'm not aware of any yet.
Fibro, Chronic Pain, Insomnia, Psoriasis, Migraines, Light & Hyper Sensitivity & Joint Subluxation but apart from that I am perfectly healthy & battling for ESA & DLA. - Twitter: my_fibromyalgia - Facebook: myfibromyalgia
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed May 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Oh my, that is not right.

In Ontario here you get a temp. one for breaks, surgery etc. When I first got mine years ago for fibro it had to be renewed in a year. The next one was for 6 years and because fibro is a permanent condition I don't have to have a Dr form filled it has been automatically renewed every 6 years.

It seems anything to do with disability back home (I call England home, it still is). Is such a dramatic procedure. A lot of paperwork, departments and different levels of disability.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia