Hiring a mobility scooter that folds into a car boot

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hiring a mobility scooter that folds into a car boot

Postby Lizzyear » Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know of a company, where you can hire a mobility scooter preferably a folding one.
As I have a lovely scooter, but can't get it tn the car!!!
Thanks and hope some of you guys will be able to help.
Lizzyear
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Re: Hiring a mobility scooter that folds into a car boot

Postby tiny229 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:20 pm

Most towns and seaside places have a shopmobility office where you can hire a scooter and park your car whilst using it ....hope that helps
tiny229
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri May 31, 2013 2:41 am

I would say the same as the last poster it would be the best place to start
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby millymoodoo » Fri May 31, 2013 10:08 am

Hi

I bought a scooter that folds down like a pushchair so there is no need to take it appart at all the only problems is it is very bulky and even though it only weighs 39kg i couldnt lift it out so i have had to have a remote control hoist fitted to my car so i can get it in and out. So even if you do find one to go in the boot please be wary that they are very heavy, bulky and awkward to get out without a hoist.

:goodluck2: in finding the right one for you
Milly :-D :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby Lizzyear » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:20 am

Thank you all for your replies :flowers:
I used shop mobility when I wen shopping in a big shopping centre. :mrgreen: It's just I have a wedding to go to, that's in the middle of nowhere, as it is a lunch time til late, late evening, I thought I would be more comfortable and independent,(as against a wheelchair, as I cannot wheel myself!), :nono: if I could hire a mobility scooter to put in hubby's car. Then I can be comfy in church, (I find the pews very hard, even with a cushion!), :yikes: :yikes: and then all the hanging around whilst photos are taken, :crazy: again hard seats at the reception, and at the evening disco, :yikes: :yikes: (yep, I know I will need to disappear and rest for a few hours half way. :sleep: :sleep: But really wanted to be able to move around on my own, not having to wait, until someone can. :oops: So it was a hire company, that would let me hire for a few days that I was looking for.
So if anyone knows............. :-D
Hope you re all coping ok.
Lizzy
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Lizzy Pls see my post about hiring a mobility scooter to visit London viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17102

I got lots of lovely advice from people. Not sure what part of the country your wedding is in but try the yellow pages etc for other centres that may hire scooters. It seems there are quite a few that do , also some shop motibilty centre may hire for 48 hrs , check the shopmobility web page as that might give better idea of where & price.

Enjoy the wedding , I was at one a few years before I was DX and as we were staying over I had a room in the hotel which meant I could go rest after the welcome reception while all the photos were going on and a friend txted to let me know when the friends /group photos were going to be taken . I was also then able to rest again after the meal but before the evening reception.
While I did end up going up to bed earlier than most of my group it meant I was there later than I would have usually been able to manage . Seems I was "pacing " and didn't even know it :-D

PM if you want any further help.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Lizzyear » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi, thank you iceskatemum for your post.
The wedding is in Hampshire. I was chatting to my hubby about how we will be able to last the afternoon and evening, and we had decided, I would definitely have to have a lie down between afternoon and evening. He's very good at looking after me, especially when I know I should be resting, but having way to much fun! He talks sense , and makes me realise, tortoise or hair, better to stop now and rest, then come back until the end, and I will last the evening, but NOT if I don't plan the rest breaks!
Take care, gentle hugs,
Lizzy
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia