Noise

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Noise

Postby kazza65 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:58 am

Does any body else suffer with this..

I can't stand the telly radio or anything else that makes a noise. on. But when everybodys in the house i just block it out.. When i'm home alone i then not have the telly radio or anything else on that make a noise because it does my head in.

Also i'm being to hate the sound of the washer dishwasher and even the ding on the microwave does my head in.. I even have the laptop muted so there no chance of any noise coming out of it.

I feel as if i want to live the world in total silence.. I've recently had an earing test and it said the i was 95% deaf in my right ear so i'm only listerning threw my left ear..

Do anybody else feel this way also i'm feeling that all i do is moan..

thank Karen
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Re: Noise

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Being sensitive to various noises and sounds is something that affects quite a few of us, in fact developing sensitivities to a number of things seems to be quite a wide~spread aspect of FM. So you're not alone with this, typically tho, it affects us all so differently, so whilst you find removing as much noise as possible from around you makes a difference, for others having some sort of noise in the background makes those other sounds a bit easier to deal with.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby kitten » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:44 pm

I live at the back of a junior school lived there since 1974 never any problem , BUT they have joined the infants in with the Juniors an extra 300 children , also we now have an infants centre as well , not only that we also have an out of school time 3 30 - 6 then we have the local football team 6 -7 Mon -Fri practice and sat - Sunday mornings , add to how they have done the extension it now sounds like an amphitheatre it just bounces off the wall ,I know it's a school and today's kids are far more noisy and boisterous , but there is a limit,
it's awful the noise level really gets to me : :-x : can't have my windows open ,can't sit in the garden , :evil: I time it so they are in class to put my washing out , complained to the school but we have an headmistress who just does not wont to no , she is always at a meeting or on a course or not in she must think we are stupid if she thinks we believe her .

Now even the school hols they have an out of school time that 8- 6 Mon - Fri

When we first moved there school time was 9 -00 - 3 30 now it's 8- till 6 then football .

We are now seriously thinking of moving , shame really as we are so very Central for everywhere and got some really good neighbours but this never ending noise it really getting to me ,sorry for having a moan but this subject came up and at the moment have had to go and close the windows we have got a little girl playing in the fields and by goodness doe's she no how to scream , but we then get the echo :twisted: and it's not funny in fact I have shouted" will you stop screaming" then you make your self hoarse and get yourself all worked up :-x
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:59 pm

sorry about the spelling put no instead of know there go you can't think straight :roll:
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby ElvisPresley » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:28 pm

I can't stand noise either! Going into shops with music playing or being in a car with the radio or any music on makes me want to scream! But I know I am sensitive to a lot of things now - sensitive to heat, sensitive to cold, can't drink coffee or alcohol anymore - not that I drank much of either, but I did enjoy a nice coffee once a day! Unfortunately I haven't developed a sensitivity to chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ElvisPresley
UKFM Member

Postby daddyvic » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Feel the same, work at a garage which has 30 techs and we see 90 -100 cars a day. By the time I have done a 12 hr day any noise makes me want to put a large hammer to it!!
daddyvic
UKFM Member

Postby Alityke » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:56 pm

There is a recognised personality type of "highly sensitive person". Described as someone who is highly sensitive to moderate stimuli. So noise, light, heat, cold and multiple stimuli all prevent full concentration.

I have no idea if there is a link with FM. I was told by my councillor I had this personality type well before my FM diagnosis although not the FM symptoms.

This may be worth researching in future
Alityke
UKFM Member

Postby mabel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:37 pm

I cannot tolerate noise. shouted at family again the other day to turn down tv and then that causes an argument and I was asked if I am going mad!
I cannot stand the adults all shouting across the room at one another at work. each one trying to shout above the other.

I am very sensitive to noise and cold.
The consultant told me that Fibro meant that we are highly sensitive to pain etc where as other people are not asaffected
mabel
UKFM Member

Postby LuluAnne » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 pm

I used to listen to music and now find I prefer the silence. Can't stand the noise other people make from car stereos, store music or people talking loudly. It all makes me irritated and I need and crave silence.
LuluAnne
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:07 am

I love silence and peace. find it hard to 'take' noise, especially unnecessary noise!!

I dont know why I pay for my TV license and my Virgin cos its never on, its like a big ornament in the corner. If theres something I want to watch, which there will be soon (Big Brother), then I put it on for the programme only, and then it goes straight off again.

I dont listen to music anymore much, only in the car sometimes when I feel too alone, I'll put the radio on and sometimes I cant stand the music so I'll put it onto radio 4 where theres just talking.

Sometimes I cant stand the traffic noise from the open car window and drive along sweltering as my air con isnt working, just to shut out the noise.

I'm over sensitive to other things too,,,,, heat, cold, smells.............................
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby kazisedso » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:11 pm

OMG! i thought it was just me!!
For a long time now i just cannot hack or stand noise..... cannot deal with confrontation or stress of any kind either.

A long time ago i could listen to music whilst doing other things.... i can't now... and if i have to try and concentrate on something it has to be completely silent or i just cannot do it.... strange.....

I do watch tv but only programs that i have recorded and it really does have to be quiet for me to concentrate on that program or i just cannot follow what is going on.... thank god for the rewind button... gets used a lot in my house.

I can't deal with any sort of shouting and believe me 95% of the time my house is way way way too loud with the kids and my hubby shouting at one another.... ( hubby has got problems with his hearing so that doesn't help!). i have at times had to lock myself away in my bedroom when it kicks off in my house as i just cannot cope with it......
and i must admit when im in a flare, if there is too much noise i can actually flip and end up shouting back ( not good... just makes things a hell of a lot worse) and then i end up in tears as i just want all the noise and shouting to go away have even' escaped.' to my sister's just to get some peace and quiet.... so i can totally sympathize with any fm sufferer that has a sensitivity to different sorts of noise etc.
Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby spencebel » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Certain noises drive me mad. My next door neighbours are so bad, they have to bang every door, also think the man was born with a hammer in his hand........... I want to scream at him, to shut up.. Also my other neighbours like to play music so loud. I have even begged my OH can we move to a detached house away from everybody............ (We need to win the lottery).
I was never like this...
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:01 pm

I find that my tolerance to noise changes.

There are some days when I can hardly hear a thing. I am asking people to repeat themselves or if the telly is on then I have to have it turned right up.

Then the next day can be complete opposite. I am turning the telly down while others are listening. The radio can drive me crazy. Noise just seems amplified. ,

I had my ears checked on four different days, purposely to monitor this. The results for identical tests had opposing results. The Dr also found that I do not hear things like a mans voice well, a fog horn sound or a train coming.

She also said I hear words wrong. Words can sound the same such as sit, sat and set. I do not always hear the vowel correctly.
Did
Could be why I am always saying, "pardon me", or everyone is saying " you deaf"

I don't know if this has anything to do with fibro
Last edited by whoami on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Noise

Postby toplessbug » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:23 pm

This is really strange as said before I thought it was me. When I'm with my OH he talks and I have to ask him to stop cos I'm not listening and just want to sit. I turn out the tv and mostly read on my tablet.
I feel really nasty asking him to shut up but now I know it's not just me.
Thanks guys xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using the force :-)
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby ouchiemama » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:57 am

Yep I am like this too! I thought what the heck is up with me im always telling kids to turn the tv down & its not even that loud, i cant handle music on in a car or in the house! Kids will be kids & are noisy but I really struggle with it, it hurts!! I go upstairs to get away from it for a bit if they are making a racket!

I cant concentrate either, I often have to get my 12 year old daughter to read cooking instructions as I cant make sense of them after reading and re-reading them!

When Im in a flare which I have been for all year so far, I am so so gurny, I do my own head in always moaning but I just cant help it, its so horrible & i feel bad for being such a moan but noise just drives me crazy!!

Also noticed that I jump out of my skin if theres a sudden noise!!
xxx
ouchiemama
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia