Quick Question on Housing........

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Quick Question on Housing........

Postby kazisedso » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:30 am

Hi everyone, hope you are all well and not in too much pain :-)

Has Anyone had to move house because of FM and all other symptoms? i currently live in a semi detached 3 bed-roomed council house
I am finding it hard to manage the stairs.
My bathroom and toilet are upstairs so getting up there is a major struggle... add to that the urgency of IBS..... doesn't make for a very good picture :yikes: :yikes: :shock: :oops:

Just wondered if any of you have had to ask to be moved or had to have the house adapted because of the disability that FM brings??

Thanks.
Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Re: Quick Question on Housing........

Postby leewhyte » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:44 am

Hi Karen,

Hope your not to bad today.

On Monday I had the OT out and she's bringing a ton of equipment to help me around the house but, more importantly, she has asked Social Services to contact me as they can provide a stair lift so I can get upstairs to use the bathroom and to go to bed when I have my bad days.

Before this I was looking into installing a downstairs wet room with toilet but it was going to cost about 3k and with my ESA and DLA both looking to stop I couldn't risk spending that much on the credit card.

I would ask your gp to refer you to soical services or occupational therapy

Take care

Lee
leewhyte
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:54 am

There are a few peeps on here who have moved into more suitable housing because of their various conditions and problems, incl FM. There are also some who are waiting/trying to get something more suitable than their current places for very similar reasons.

With moving being such a stressful thing to go thru tho, you might be better looking into other options before you consider going with it as the best thing to do. See about being referred to your local OT team as they can help with different things to make life a bit more livable for you, and if there is something they can't help with, they may know of other groups/organisations that could do.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby millymoodoo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 am

Hi

I had to move into a adapted 2 bedroom bungalow 2 years ago but i had problems because i was moving from my own 3 bedroom property plus as i was only 47 the council were not happy to let me have a bungalow as they as supposed to be for the elderly!!!! In the end i had my home repossessed as i couldnt keep up payments when i had to stop work and with the help and support from my MP i was allowed a bungalow. I have had a wet room fitted hand rails round the property and lots of other aids to help me with my disability. I have fm but also have severe crohns disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, prolapsed discs in all 3 sections of my spine, kidney problems and heart murmur with high blood pressure. But it is down to fm and osteoporosis/prolapsed discs that has made my mobility so much worse. Because you are already in a council property it shoould be more straight forward for you.

:goodluck2: Milly :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby kazisedso » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:32 am

Hi all thanks for the replies....

i am awaiting OT to get back in touch, there is a 28 day turn around in my area.
i'm not sure that i want to move i am just so fed up of struggling with the stairs, my hips,knees, bottom of back and wrists are giving me major jip, so i am very unsteady on the stairs.... hubby has to be behind me when i go up and down and im having to take little rests... not so much because i am out of breath.. but because of the pains :yikes: ( and i am not exactly a small framed lady!)

Think i am just really fed up now... one thing after another and playing the waiting game to be seen by different consultants etc.
i just really want to know what my options are... i seem to have gone downhill very fast over the last 5/6 months and everyday i wake up, there's something else to add to the list of ailments :shock: :oops:

i haven't contacted the council regarding my disability and my mobility problems, but i fear it won't be long before this has to be addressed,
as day to day quality of life is suffering.
TBH i am only 43 and i have 3 children still at home. I think the policy for my council is only letting bungalows out to the elderly and i'm not sure if there is a disabled policy too but i bet that is also age related...... will have to find out.

Karen :cry:
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:25 pm

I think this answer could be a post code lottery as were i live i cannot get a bungelow either as there only for the elderly OR you have to be over 55 with a disability :-? but in some parts of the country you may get a bungalow but just having disabilities. :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby lisaward127 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:01 pm

Hello, I also had an easement by local OT and after a few months of bidding on properties I am now in a two bedroom bungalow with walk in shower, it has changed my life and help me to no end.
Lisa Ward
lisaward127
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia