Baby carriers?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Baby carriers?

Postby BuzzyB » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:45 pm

As you may have seen in my other post I'm expecting a baby at the start of July. So now I'm going to be cheeky and ask for parenting advice (probably won't be the last time!).
I'm wondering if any of you have any thoughts on baby carriers?
I've got a pram/pushchair and a car seat but I really like the idea of being able to just carry baby sometimes so I'm looking into baby carriers.
Long story short there are so many more kinds than I thought there would be and I'm feeling a little over whelmed. I'm trying to figure which seem most fibro-friendly.I think the mei tais look like they spread weight pretty evenly and don't look too bulky but honestly I could be totally of the mark so any thoughts would be very welcome.
I'm starting to wonder if it would be worth getting at least 2 totally different types in case they each work better on different days, since fibro is so unpredictable.
Bluffy the Fibro Sleeper
BuzzyB
UKFM Member

Re: Baby carriers?

Postby MichelleJ » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Are you thinking like sling type carriers? I do have a child but we adopted him at 18 months so I missed out that stage. All I would say though is maybe wait till baby is here and then go and try a few out as I know they can put a lot of pressure on your back from what I've been told. I would think the soft canvas carriers would be best rather than framed ones but maybe look for something that takes baby's weight both at front and back to spread it out better. Wouldn't know what type that is though. Kind of thinking almost having something under baby's bum to support the weight, do they exist? Sure someone with more experience. Of them will come along and give u better advice, good luck with it.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Have you any baby shops in your area?? Quite often the smaller, independent ones are only too pleased to help with advice, suggestions, answering questions, and will let you try out things so you can find what might be the most suitable for you. You may also find that other mums who may be in at the same time as you will also talk to you about their experiences with different things and be rather honest about them, from the glowing reports to the not so good points.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby BuzzyB » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Sadly we only seem to have one baby shop here, other than Mothercare, and I don't think they tend to deal with carriers but I hadn't thought to pop in and ask.
I think that slings which only go over one shoulder seem like they could be asking for a lot of pain on one side but the solid carriers definitely look uncomfortable. I think I've seen at least a couple of types which seem to be fabric going over each shoulder and have some support under babies bum.
Michelle, reading your thoughts makes me think I should write a little check list for what seems ideal in a carrier and then tick things off to see which matches best.
Thank you both for your input :-D
Bluffy the Fibro Sleeper
BuzzyB
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:41 pm

Think that's a good idea Hun. The 2 shoulder ones do sound good and will offer better support. You can also get ones that have a piece that wraps around your lower back too I think which would spread the load more evenly along with the 2 shoulder straps.

Love you signature tag by the way assuming your a fellow buffy the vampire slayer fan?
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby BuzzyB » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Wrapping around lower back does sound like it could help as well.

Thanks. I am indeed.
Bluffy the Fibro Sleeper
BuzzyB
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia