Walking frame- rollator.........

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby kazisedso » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Hiya,
Has anyone used a Rollator walking frame?
I have got crutches and they are hurting my wrists and shoulders.

I think one of these rollator frames would be ideal as i would be able to sit and rest when i needed to.

Just wanted to know if anyone has got one of these?
Thanks.
Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Re: Walking frame- rollator.........

Postby ruth2013 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi there,

They do have their advantages, i.e they can carry some of your shopping for you etc.

However they are quite heavy and I found that they hurt my shoulders after a while, but were great to lean on for a little while.

Only thing you can do is give them a go and see if they work for you.

Good luck
ruth2013
UKFM Member

Postby Teresa Garrard » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Yes I have had one for many years I had to have shoulder op because of the crutches so hospital decided to try rollator best thing for me not only so much less pressure on my shoulders and arm, helped me walk upright so saving my back and hips, also good when you need a rest, I am mostly in electric wheelchair now but still find the rollater handy on short trips, never looked back .
I must say over the years I have tried and brought a few but the best one by far is from cossy feet very light weight 5kg and folds well like having a waitross trolley instead of asda ha. Good luck if you go for one
Teresa Garrard
UKFM Newbie

Postby MichelleJ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Yea I have one. They are good and less painful than using crutches. Occupational health can give u one. I got mine free through them
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby caz666 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Yes I have one for short walks, means I can sit and rest every few yards as I can't walk far without pain, I find mine very helpful and find I can walk a bit further when I use this instead of my sticks before I need to rest.
caz666
UKFM Member

Postby kazisedso » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi all :-D

Update****

I received my Rollator yesterday ( done through physio )
and it is fantastic!! Much, much better than using elbow crutches, no pressure on wrists and body weight is evenly distributed.

Mine has a lovely seat on that i can use to take a rest, a basket that sits underneath and the colour of it is brill.....
As i am only (cough,cough,) 43, i reckon the physiotherapist has gone for one to suit my age, it's two tone, black and red and when the light hits it, it also changes to gold :lol: :lol: i am majorly impressed with it.

I thought i was going to be embarrassed using it ( been to home bargains this morn).... but surprisingly i definitely wasn't ! i didn't give two hoots... and i didn't feel stared at either. :-)
I even put the brakes on and sat on it whilst looking for birthday cards :-D .

I still go shopping with my hubby and will still need his assistance, but after today's little adventure, i feel a little more independent and a little more confident, as, if i cannot continue around the shop/supermarket i just put the brakes on and rest.
Would recommend a rollator to those of you who struggle using sticks and crutches due to pain and weakness in wrists and arms, they are great. :woot:

Take care,
Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Fab news Karen :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Sounds like it's suitably glam for you as well :woot: :woot: :woot:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby macca » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Mrs Mac is 43 also and after her GP stated they are for old people and dismissed her, we also sorted a Rollator out through community physio. Totally agree that it helps to distribute your body weight more evenly and its done wonders for my wife's confidence as she tripped a lot with her walking stick.

She needed it to be as light as possible so hasn't got the seat on hers but does have a pouch for carrying odds and sods around. Highly recommended to anyone who is struggling with mobilising.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Glad its been a hit :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby toplessbug » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:00 pm

I have a blue blue and it's wonderful. I find its my little bit of exercise as well as now I can actually walk the dog a bit further each time.

Gentle hugs xxxx
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:34 pm

There are some nice~sounding coloured ones, much more fun and personal than a standard issue one :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Melissa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:38 pm

I have a rolling walker and I'm only 25 so I think 43 would qualify. In fact I got it when I was 21. My friends were pretty shocked when I started using it. I had only had fibro for about three weeks and they didn't know anything was wrong. But I only use it about 10% of the time. I keep it at the office where I work and only use it there. the rest of the time I use elbow crutches, which give me more steadiness, especially in heels. If I'm having a good legs day, I'll sometimes use 2 canes, but I don't feel as safe as when I'm on my crutches. I find the walker is just too clumsy if I'm going anywhere. With my crutches, it's much easier to go through doors, do stairs, and walk on grass. I think if elbow crutches hurt your arms more than a walker, then you're maybe using them wrong. I try not to put too much weight on the crutches, although if I've done a lot of walking, by the end of the day my legs get pretty weak and I really need to lean on them to keep from falling, but that's not very often, but in those cases, the walker doesn't work-I can only walk with the crutches.

But my situation might be different. I walk a lot-1 or 2 miles on most days. I was a runner and a dancer before I got fibro, and I still try to stay fit and active. I don't use crutches because of pain, but because my legs get tired easily. Sometimes they can get tired early in the day, and sometimes not till evening or not at all on a good day. But the can poop out without much warning so I just use the crutches all the time. If my legs are feeling strong I don't put any weight on them at all. When I first got them, I would often just sort of carry them, but my friends thought that looked rather silly,so now I at least pretend I'm using them until my legs start to get rubbery. It's just easier to use them all the time than not have them when needed. That was hard to do for a 21 year old who had been healthy 3 weeks earlier, but I'm used to it now.
Melissa
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:03 am

So glad you & others who have posted have found something suitable to help them out and about. I admire your courage at dealing with your need for help ingetting around especially given your young ages.
I use a cane for stability and support and have borrowed a mobility buggy a couple of times but just can't get myself around to the fact I need it just that little bit more after every flare and should really get one of my own.

Good luck with your new rollator the colours sound great and not "old lady" at all :lol:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia