Joint swelling

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Joint swelling

Postby blueeyes64 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:54 am

I haven't posted for a while but I have been checking in :-)
Just wanted to ask is joint swelling a fibro symptom ?
I was thinking about going back to my GP to get referred to see a rheumy as its long overdue !
I have never been formerly diagnosed with fibro, it's just my symptoms seemed to fit.
But mor recently as well as the stiffness and aches and pains and all the other symptoms, I have been getting actual visible swelling.
This morning my left index finger is very swollen and my toes on my right foot have felt swollen for the last few days.
I have been trying to walk more late,y and doing ok building up my stamina.But after walking the dogs last night I have woken up with awful stiff neck and back (not unusual I know ! ) and the swelling.
I was tested a couple of years ago for RA but it was negative, but I have since read that tests often are especially in the early years.
So would it be a good idea to get another blood test for RA ? or should I just push for a rheumy appt, or both ?
I have managed to get in to see the NP this morning.Dont get me started on my GP surgeries new way of booking appts !
You can only book on the day for emergency appts but then you can't pre book for another day, only the following week ! It's ridiculous.I always say "look if it was an emergency I would either go straight to A& E or phone 999, not phone the GP surgery !
I want to show someone my swollen finger while its swollen, not next week when it will probably be ok again :roll:
So I have got in with the nurse and will see what she thinks.
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Re: Joint swelling

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 am

Hi,

Iv just replied to your other topic and since seeing this one maybe its all related?

Swelling is not a symptom of fibro and im sure if you mention everything to the neurlogist they can give you lots of tests to see exactly whats going on.

I would also get them to check for Lupus as this mimicks fibro, causes swelling and seizures just to rule it out.

The neurologist will be able to confirm the diagnoses of fibro also.

I would write down everything thats been going on and your symptoms and see what they say :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Gizmo01 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:57 am

Hi I have fibro but for the past 18 months random things have swelled like my toes,foot,knee,boob,index finger and last up to 8 weeks so I went to see reumy and he said the next thing that swells they will take fluid from but since he said that nothing has swelled :-? Which is always the way isn't it( oh and while its swelling its very painful. :-)
Gizmo01
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:19 pm

swelling is apart of fibro. for me anyway i had tests done all clear for RA. dr told me fibro will do that to some ppl. my fingers swell if my vit D is low.and swell they do :-?
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Well actually the nurse did ask of I was getting enough sunshine (i thought she was mad, we do live in England ! ) and I said I had been out in the garden on and of all week and walk the dogs most days (body permitting !).She said lacking in Vit D can cause symptoms like that.
Anyway I've just been for a full blood count and vit levels checking.
Taken ages to type this as I keep hitting wrong letters :-?
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby blueeyes64 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Forgot to say I DON'T WANT FIBRO !!! :evil:
Maybe that's why I have never taken the GPs suggestion to see a rheumy !
Another thing I am worried because we have to fill in a detailed health form for our mortgage cover as it lapsed on the direct debit, and what with all this I am worried it will go up or they won't insure us ! Plus hubby has diabetes and ugh blood pressure :cry:
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Hello Everybody

Hope everybody is ticky boo.. or as well as expected

Right regarding this swelling ..................... my fingers on both hads have been swelling for ages but put down to fibro now my finger next to thumb has swollen and gone stiff.. On a morning when i get up my fingers and toes are really swollen to the point i do anything untill it gone down.. Because of this my hubby god bless him had to wash and dress me. Also he has to help me with the loo.

I have mentioned it to my G.P only yesterday he said he would refer me to the Rhemouy doctor then he rang me up at 5 yesterday and said he is writing to the Rhemouy doctor for advice.

So i will now see what advice he gives me..

Hope this helps...

love karen x
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi there, I have been getting swelling in my feet and hands recently, this morning I was out in the garden scrubbing the path, right hand is very swollen, achy and numb at the same time, I do believe it is the fibro, my joints ache all the time and swelling getting more regular in hands if being repetitive with the pc, writing, gardening and finger wagging!!.. :-)
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:50 pm

blueeyes64.......about your insurance forms for the mortgage. Do not lie or dismiss anything. If God forbid, you had a claim and then found out that you had been treated for something , even mildly treated and you did not disclose it they are within their rights not to pay and you could be charged.

First case......my friends hubby passed away, heart. Grace applied for the insurance and was denied because years ago, before policy was written Rod had been tested for heart issues, only tested, he also took something for his cholesterol level years ago for six months and completely forgot, therefore not disclosed. Because his heart then was deemed a pre exsisting condition...denied

Second......my hubby, mortgage ins. He applied for both life and disability ins. Both granted. years later after his accident he applied for the disability payments to kick in. He was denied because he forgot to disclose that 20 years ago he took an anti depressent for I month. The treatment was not for depression either. he now can no longer get mortgage insurance because they assume he lied intentionally.

third.....the girl across the street passed 2 months ago, great friend. Eilene died from gall bladder cancer. When Paul applied for her life ins she had paid into for years, he was denied. when they checked her medical history Eilene had been given medication for pain in her stomach. The Dr wrote it down as gasterenteritous. spelling ? Anyway because this was a pre condition that could have been the start of her cancer (the ins thinking more along the gall bladder causing the issue of pain) Paul has been denied her life ins. His lawyer said more and more ins. companies are getting away with this, winning their case

i am always nervous for people now when I hear the word insurance. I can not get any because of the fibro. I can understand if they didn't want to give it now because of my history of cancer, stroke etc but fibro was long before those issues. Fibromyalgia is not a cause of death like cancer and stroke. ugggggggh!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby blueeyes64 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:20 pm

I am going to tell the insurance everything, I know how they can wriggle out of things :roll:
Plus they actually get medical records from the GP too so it's not like I can lie !

I tend to get the swelling when my joints have been under some kind of stress, but not every time it's odd.
Like walking the dogs one of them pulls really hard but he pulls every time intake him out and my fingers aren't permanently swollen.
And I have been wearing my flip flops (expensive Emu ones) as the weather has been nice so I think that might have caused the toe swelling idk !
blueeyes64
UKFM Member

Postby binty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:46 am

I had my vit d tested by rheumatologist and was found to be very low so started 3 mths treatment. Now it is normal but have been advised that it may be worth taking it for life as it helps with bone pain. I to get swelling in my ankles and hands and wrists.
binty
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia