When will I, will I be famous! :-P

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

When will I, will I be famous! :-P

Postby Tantalus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Hey everyone,

Hope we're all well.

Just thought you'd all be interested to know that my local paper is doing an article on me and the problems I've been having with my benefits and also to raise some fibro awareness :)

The paper will be out on Thursday and I'll link it up if they put it online or I'll take a photo or something to share. You'll also get to see what my miserable mug looks like as they sent the photographer around today! :-P

Be well

Tant x
Tantalus
UKFM Member

Re: When will I, will I be famous! :-P

Postby denys » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Look forward to seeing it tantalus, great news that you are getting some awareness out there :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby masonsbarms » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:18 am

hi tant thats good bringing both problems into the open ,

looking forward to it whats the paper called,

take care xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 am

Can I have your autograph? lol

That's great that they want to do a story on this, all we seem to hear about it people getting benefits who don't deserve them so it's great that they want to publicise someone who genuinely deserves them!
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:36 am

As Lou Lou say great :welldone: that there is publicity from the point of view of those with a chronic illness and who need the benefit! I am so sick of hearing about benefit scrounger & cheats . Enjoy your 5min of fame :lol: maybe the Nationals wil pick it up as well :-)
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Tantalus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Hey peoples,

It wasn't in the paper this week but the photographer wasn't sure if it would be in this week or next week. Hopefully I'll have something to post up next Thursday :)

On the plus side... buying the paper for the first time in about 4 years may have found my boyfriend a job! :-P

Be well

Tant x
Tantalus
UKFM Member

Postby mand » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Aaaahhhh.......ive got bros singing in my head :crazy: :-D killing two birds with one stone, looking forward to seeing the piece... best wishes .........mand
mand
UKFM Member

Postby Tantalus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Hey everyone,

Hope we are well :)

My article was in the paper today... check it out....

As you can't see it very well I'll re-type what was written:

Taken from Hereford Times, Thursday June 20 2013

By Bill Tanner

Benefit review left me shattered

Ellie James says her life is in limbo living on £112 a fortnight as she waits to appeal a fitness for work assessment she says took no account of a medical condition that causes constant pain.

Ellie's disability is "under review" and she feels let down by the system she thought was there to help her.

But as changes to the disability benefits kick in, Ellie says that at times she feels she's treated like a "terror suspect".

Ellie used to be seen on the touchlines at Hereford United as a photographer. In 2011 she was diagnosed with a debilitating condition called fibromyalgia characterised by chronic widespread pain.

In February last last year she had to stop work at her parent's company because her parents could no longer do their job effectively while helping Ellie do hers. She applied for employment and support allowance only for the medical assessment to find her fit for work and not entitled to any support.

Ellie says the finding has sent her into a "severe depression".

"Everything I'd said had been twisted into a manner that made it sound as if I was fit and well. There were also numerous assumptions made regarding things I was not even asked about," she said.

Ellie has appealed against the finding, she has yet to hear anything of that appeal and, meantime, gets on about £112 every fortnight.

"I am no longer in control of my mortgage and am at risk of losing my home, I have lost the use of my car which is essential for me to transport to appointments and I can barely afford basic essentials," she said.

She says can't even renew her disability living allowance because of the fitness for work assessment she disputes.

"I would like to get the word out about my experience to warn people of what to expect. These people aren't there to help you as I'd expected," she said.

The Department of Work and Pensions said it does no comment on individual cases.

But in a statement, it said: "A decision on whether someone is well enough to work is taken following a thorough assessment and after consideration of the supporting medical evidence provided by the claimant.

"Since 2010 we have considerably improved the work capability assessment (WCA) process.

"The percentage of people entitled to employment and support allowance is now at its highest level with over half of people completing the WCA eligible for the benefit, but everyone has a right to appeal a decision if they disagree with it

"Overall only 15 per cent of all fit for work decisions are overturned on appeal and this is often because people present new evidence which wasn't available when the original decision was made."

Right: Ellie James claims her life has been made a misery by new benefit assessment rules despite suffering constant pain.

That took me ages to type out! I'm off for a lie down :-P

Be well

Tant x
Tantalus
UKFM Member

Postby Tantalus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Part of me is glad they did that story and part of me thinks it may have been the worst decision of my life :-/

I have received abuse from people on my facebook account which I'm kind of used to but it's the people who feel the need to post 'advice' and things of that nature that have really upset me. Things such as 'See a psychiatrist cus it's all in your head' or 'maybe you should just get more exercise and lose some weight' that have really got me down.

I do like that these people have the opinion that fibro has somehow made me mentally deficient and I hadn't thought of those things.

I really wish I knew how to get through to people that things aren't easy, things that the non-disabled people don't even think about are huge tasks for me. I would like to ask them how often they need help to get off the toilet or how many days they've gone without eating because there was no-one there to help. :-/

The idea of the article was to get the word out about the ####y benefits system and fibromyalgia. If I had the help I was entitled to then I'd be able to help myself a bit more.

I apologise about this post but I'm very upset and needed to vent. :cry:

Tant x
Tantalus
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia