Excruciating fatigue, anyone else like this?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Lizzyear » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:39 am

Hi,
This probably sounds silly, but do any of you suffer with debilitating fatigue. This is not sleepy tiredness, this is especially in my legs, for example, I only have to walk upstairs and my legs become like lead, no energy seems to get there!! This really is getting more and more debilitating!
Anyone got any tips? Getting very frustrated by this!!
Sorry about the moan..............im finding it all very exasperating!!
Lizzy
Lizzyear
UKFM Member

Re: Excruciating fatigue, anyone else like this?

Postby Tracey Walton » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:55 am

I have quite a few days when I feel like that, especially when the weather pressure changes, it seems odd and not sure if everyone else suffers the same way. In fact I was like that yesterday, a little easier today, but still not great. I would be interested to know how others combat this too :-)
Tracey Walton
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:06 am

Not silly. It is a common symptom of fibro. I get to the point of total exhaustion.

I do have issues with sleep and also have sleep apnea but the exhaustion is totally different from being tired.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby onecellsmum » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:37 am

I have this too....usually lasts up to 4 days before I'm "able to wake up " !!!!!! Every movement just drains me and i have no choice but to sleep which is not a solution to a "normal" lifestyle but don't know what else i can do...think it's just something we have deal with in whatever way works for us
onecellsmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby funny_wonder » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:22 am

Yes, at times I'm hit by a really heavy, debilitating fatigue that is so different from the everyday fibro tiredness. The most recent episode of that went on for a month & eventually went to my GP. He put me on a 2 week course of steroids which gave me so much energy I felt like my old self. Its just a pity they are not really safe for frequent or long term use! The only thing I can do generally is rest as much as possible and try to accept that I won't be able to do the things I'd like until it passes. It's immensely frustrating though. My sister recently made a suggestion that I haven't tried yet but I fully intend to give it a go. She suggested using a casein supplement at night. Bodybuilders and athletes use protein supplements with casein to promote muscle recovery as they sleep. It can't do any harm, I have a reasonable understanding of nutrition but have also discussed it with my brother who is a qualified personal trainer with an encyclopaedic knowledge of nutrition and he agrees it might help so I plan to give it a go. There are also supplements which may help boost energy a bit during the day without the negative effects of the commonly available energy drinks etc. They work by providing energy from protein that is easily digestible rather than via caffeine or sugar. If anyone is interested I can post a link to my brothers facebook page, he is always happy to answer questions. Also when I get the time I might quiz him about supplements and put up a post about it if people think it might be something they'd like to hear more about. I don't want to post an essay if nobody is interested lol!
funny_wonder
UKFM Member

Postby Tunes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 am

Oh yes funny_wonder i would be VERY interested in that.:-) im willing to try anything to combat these symptoms.
I too get the fattigue but what gets me is how quick it comes on. One minute il be plodding on and the next its like ive bin hit by a bus taken sleepin pills and cant do bagger all!!!. Sssooooo frustrating :evil:
Hope all you lot feel better soon :-D
Tunes
UKFM Member

Postby SaraFibro » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:11 am

It's one of my biggest symptoms! It's best to get all of your bloods done to check for low levels of vitamin D, iron, magnesium and general blood count, thyroid and also ask for lyme disease to be ruled out (which I am only just having done after 4 years!) ....I find that using epsom bath salts as a way of getting magnesium is good for easing off the heavy leg feeling. It's also important to stretch when you are unable to move about much, keep gently stretching when you can to help your muscles from seizing up. I have used D-Ribose in the past and didn't find it helped that much but I'm finding that a nutritionally balanced and healthy diet is starting to help....I still have major bad days but I find I'm much worse if I eat rubbish refined and processed foods.
The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease - Thomas A. Edison
SaraFibro
UKFM Member

Postby bevmraw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:56 am

Hi,
I have been like this for the last couple of day's, I am newly diagnosed and still coming to term's with it all and was wondering if this was a long term problem or whether it comes and goes. :?:
bevmraw
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Fatigue is one of my main issues and seem to be getting worse rather than better. Others did suggest that I may have ME/CFS in addition to FM as it seems that is quite common but GP wasn't interested just kept saying it was the FM

All I can do is try and pace but that can be difficult especially if friends & family don't truly understand the concept , they tend to then just think of you as lazy and in my case some are not shy in saying it !

Rest up as much as possible and only do around 50 -60 % of any activity that may give you symptoms . eg a 10 minute walk may bring on symptoms of fatigue , therefore only do about 5 minutes before stopping. It is meant to give you body enough energy to heal as well as support your normal systems

Good luck
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Lizzyear...I have started a topic about Sleep apnea....title... I can't believe it...yes I can Read my story it might help.
I wasn't sure if I should have mentioned it all here or start a new topic.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby mililly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Ive noticed the fatigue also. Ive had fibro for 3 months now and together with the meds i can easily fall asleep four a few hours in the afternoon. I cant walk as far as i used to as that also causes me to be very tired and hurts my legs and feet so much.
mililly
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:52 pm

whoami wrote:Lizzyear...I have started a topic about Sleep apnea....title... I can't believe it...yes I can Read my story it might help.
I wasn't sure if I should have mentioned it all here or start a new topic.

With it being about sleep apnea, starting the new topic about it was probably the best thing to do as, altho it ties in with what this one is about, having it as a separate topic means it won't become lost in the posts that could be made on here with fatigue being such a huge problem for so many of us.

You can always add the linky to your topic to a post so others can get to it easily to see if there is anything in it that might help them.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dolphintara » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 pm

hi all
just want to ask about the legs my legs hurt so much and was wondering if anyone else who has bad legs does it hurt to touch your shin bones , as if I touch them or if they get hit I cry like a baby , also my wrists are so bad I am left handed and I cant even hold a pen or coffee , sorry for moaning , I just need help ,
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P
thank you tara
dolphintara
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Yes I do too. Not just tiredness but severe muscle fatigue like u described. I have a diagnosis of m.e/Cfs aswell as fibromyalgia. Nothing u can do but rest and pace.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby walrus0871 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi

Fatigue was one if my worst symptoms until I cut out caffeine... Weird I know but got the tip from a ME sufferer.

Good luck x
walrus0871
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia