Taking more meds than prescribed =S

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Taking more meds than prescribed =S

Postby E-Bunny » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi again,

I woke up this morning at 7am in absolute agony.. I could barely move, but had to get up for a shrink appointment and then get to work.
My legs and arms felt like burning lead weights and im so tired.

I was so desperate i took more meds than i had been prescribed in a hope that it would calm the pain. It seems to have worked, it has really taken the edge off, but i am now ( as when i first started Lyrica ) high as a kight in work =S

I know i should not take more than prescribed, but i am unable to see my doc till next week and i cant go on having days like these.. Has anybody else resorted to upping thier dosage, even if just for one day like me, purley just to get past the pain so that they can get done what needs to be done ?

Sorry if not making any sence... high as a kite lol

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Re: Taking more meds than prescribed =S

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:19 pm

In short yes, particularly when I know I'm not at the maximum dosage. I have however let GP know when next time I see them (well that depends on which GP as some take it better than others)
With my usual GP, I have now discussed normal day to day dosage (i.e. my script) and then any leeway for break through pain, either normal meds or other such as paracetamol or ibroprofen.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby helen w » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:35 pm

I have done this too. I have now found the following REALLY helpful...I take 2x 30mg codeine + 2 paracetamol for pain when I need it for a month then swap to 2 tramadol + paracetamol for a month and so on to stop my body getting used to them. Then when I have extra pain I have liquid morphine as well which really helps. I have sometimes taken codeine+tramadol+morphine when desperate but Dr was not happy! I am also on amitriptyline, lycria and sertraline. I have spent years trying to find what works for me. Hope this helps
helen w
UKFM Member

Postby E-Bunny » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies... I am glad that others have done this too ! I am only recently diagnosed so only meds i take for this is Lyrica 100mg twice per day... But this morning I took 300mg and has helped alot !

I am hoping to see my GP this Friday too see if there is anything else I could take / try to get past this awful episodes of pain ( especially when it reavhes the point that nothing, even my clothes can touch me without causing severe pain =( )

I seem to be alot worse through the night and mornings.. Having to constantly stretch my arms and legs in hope of some relief, I also cannot lie in bed in one position for long without pain shooting through my arms and legs, so very often im constantlly turning, or even having to get out of bed !!

I am also on sertraline for depression ( 150mg in the morning ). Also on lamotrigine and clobozam for epilepsy which means my options are limited ! I am not suppost to take co-codamol !! But have been lying to the pharmacies about what meds i am on juts to buy over the counter co-codamol as they refuse if they find out i am epileptic lol... it hasnt affected my E so far, but then doesnt help with this pain either =(

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Codine based meds not good for lots of things so would advise not to take them , don't want your E flaring up as well . Good old Paracetamol might be enough to help on its own until you speak to GP

Good luck with GP, I'm sure ther eare other things you can take .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby SharonL42 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:26 pm

At the risk of upsetting anyone, can I please just say that you should never take more than your prescribed dosage of medications & you should definitely never lie to the pharmacist about what meds you are on.

Some of these meds are very dangerous if you take too much or if you mix the wrong ones together. I understand you are in a lot of pain but please be careful....you don't want to cause yourself more problems.

Please speak to your GP & ask them for strategies for when the pain is worse.

I don't want to sound like the nagging, old woman but, as a nurse, I have seen the effects of accidental overdoses or drug interactions & would hate it to happen to any of you

Love Sharon xx

Keep Smiling :-)
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:34 pm

I am on citalopram and quitapine for mh,low dose on anti depressant as it sends me manic,the quitapine is only 25mg and floors me,I have just been dumped by my mh team.

Hope the appointment went well
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:08 pm

Please..never lie to your pharmacist about your meds. Over the years he will be one of your supporters and best friends who can help. Your pharmacist can help you even over the phone as to what you can take with the meds you are on already. He more than likely knows more about medications than your Dr. Tell him everything you take even occasionally and the herbal stuff as well. I will be another nagging old woman, LOL I have taken more meds than I should have at the beginning of fibro, out of frustration and desperation and I suffered severely.

When you see your GP ask him what to take for breakthrough pain. That is the pain you don't normally have but extra from likely doing something that triggered the extra.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby E-Bunny » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:33 am

Hi,

Again thanks for all the replies !

I have been prescribed co-codamol quite alot of times whilst i have been on E meds !! Both the 30/500 and the 8/500 ! ( I am very accidental lol ).. I have been absolutly fine on this medication and it has never aggravated my E =)

Only problem is if you mention you are taking epilepsy medications to the pharmasist they will refuse the over the counter co-codamol, even though i stress that i have taken it quite a few times on prescription.. They insist I get another prescription before they will allow me to get it o.O

Having to got to the GP everytime I have flared up is impossible, and so need to be able to buy them straight from a pharmacy when needed.. Sooo I just tell them about my Fibro and RLS meds and all is well =)

I fully realise that changing the dose myself is not ideally good, and if I was not haveing to leave the house i probably would not have done it.. I am trying my best to stay in work, it was hard enough to continue with having siezures.. I am not going to let the Fibro stop me either.. I'm to stubborn lol..

PS... I turned up to my shrink appointment, on time !! Only to be told I had got there 1 month too early o.O haha.. My head wa very foggy yesterday even before i took my medications.. It has been most the week.. Think I will need to phone everyone i have an appointment with to make sure i dont turn up at any others a month before XD

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Oh :yikes: E-bunny , I think that take the prize for earliest non appointment.....I have arrived a day, even a week in advance but never one whole month :lol:

Hope you are feeling a little better than earlier in the week :lol:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia