Hair

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hair

Postby Rachellou » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:58 am

Hi guys, I was officially diagnosed back in January and nothing much has changed, I was put on normal painkillers and stuff to help me sleep, there is only one doctor out of 3 that I feel really understands me but unfortunately it's hard to get an appointment with him,

I stopped the sleeping stuff as advised by one of the other doctors and he gave me a weeks worth of sleeping pills ( like that's gonna help) that was back in March I also got told by a doctor to calm down on taking painkillers ( as if I could really do that) I've had no help and I managed since April without any meds

I feel like its now taking its toll as I work full time then extra Hours I've notice that I'm loosing more hair I only have to touch my head and stands fall out I am really surprised I'm not bold

Things have also been happening at work that have had me in tears and work don't know I have this condition as I seemed to be able to handle it but now feel like I'm loosing it especially with my hair because it catches on my clothes

Can anyone offer any advise about my hair

Thanks for listening

Rach
Rachellou
UKFM Member

Re: Hair

Postby Tunes » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:17 am

Hi yes i have this its been goin on for a few years now and Im not bold yet so theres hope for you yet :-D .
Dont really think theres anything you can do about it . Well i never have. To be honest i thought it was just me!!! :cry: .
Will be interesting to see if anyone else gets this!!!. Sorry i cant be of any help to you :( . But at least you know your not on your own :-D .
Tunes
UKFM Member

Postby penfriend » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 am

Dear Rachel and others, I presume you ladies are young, whereas I am now old, but I can tell you that I have had loss of hair for years now. Do make sure you are not using a hair wash full of chemicals! Find a natural one to shampoo with, such as you can buy in a health shop. One of the finest tonics for the hair, is coconut oil. The present shampoo I am using is Argan oil shampoo. My husband/carer has recently told me that I am not losing much hair now, just a little on the brush and comb. He has to wash my hair, as I cannot lift my arms, and can never unscrew bottles or jars. I believe very much in coconut oil, completely natural, and if you rub it into your hair and scalp and leave it a while, before washing off, then shampoo as normal, it will give your hair a boost. Better still, if you can rub it in at night and cover your head completely - otherwise the oil will get everywhere - and then rinse it off in the morning, but I have not done that, only left it on for an hour or so before shampooing.

It is so depressing for us to lose our hair, and drugs of course are the main cause, some worse than others for hair loss.

Treat your hair very gently, and we hope that it will be restored given time.

sincerely, penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi ouchie

Have to say penfriends advice was more or less what I was going to say. I have quite long hair (been growing it for my wedding in August) and my hair dresser always says how good the condition is of my hair. Since having FM I've struggled with "prettying" myself up lol like washing/blowdrying/straightening my hair and all the other things us women like to do lol.

Now I only wash my hair/blow dry and straighten my hair every other day as I don't have the energy to do much else with it. I also use a deep conditioner once a week on it. I love the Herbal Essences range personally but I've never experienced hair loss like you describe, so I think something natural like what penfriend suggests would be better suited for you. Also try looking for products that help repair any damage/make hair stronger. I'm surrently using the new Herbal Essences "Bee Strong" range and I have the deep conditioner for it too and I have to say my hair does feel much stronger since using it.

But I definitely think natural products are the way to go to start with to help build your hair back up. Have you also tried looking at the type of brushes you use? As I know some are designed for certain hair types and using the wrong one can pull your hair out? You could possible ask your hairdresser about some recommendations.

I have also noticed my hair has been growing rather quickly lately and that's since I started taking my Magnesium/Vitamin D/Calcium supplements once a day (also helped my nails grow too lol) May be worth looking into some vitamins as I know they can help promote hair growth.

Hope that helps
x
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi
My hair has got thin and every time i wash my hair i lose alot of it, it blocks up the plug when i have a shower. I lose lots of hair when i brush it.
My hair looks like it has been dyed lots and is starting to break but it has not. The hairdressers have told me it is due to where i am unwell and my medications.

I use treatments and oils, leave in conditioners the lot on my hair and it makes no difference to it. :cry:

I have a dietitian and she suggested i try taking some multivitamins to see if that helps so i might give that a go.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Hair

Postby Rachellou » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Thank you for your kind replies, I shall be visiting an health store in the morning and will give the natural products ago
Rachellou
UKFM Member

Postby Flash » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:00 am

Well, I got a tip from a book, "Grow your own drugs" by James Wong (I think) and I made a mixture of boiled nettles in water and white wine vinegar. I rinsed my hair after every wash. No, it doesn't leave a smell as you might expect. Before a wash I rubbed the worse areas with olive oil that I had put some of the boiled nettles in. I had to keep my hair short as it was thinning and difficult to manage.

I have now grown my hair again and even though the strands are finer, it has thickened generally and where I was going bald at the sides, I have got it all back.

Also, I use natural shampoos but use a conditioner as well so it's easier to comb.

Hair tends to grow in 3 month cycles so you might find the hair loss slows down for a while. Summer seems to be a time when it thins a little but we don't notice it as much until it becomes more general. I had read that up to 80 or even100 strands a day is normal but that could be quite a worry once thinning is noticeable. Good luck hun. XX
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:18 pm

My hair has been coming out more in the last 6 months and it's quite dark too, I wash my hair a couple of times a week over the bath and you should see what gets into the plughole :yikes: My scalp is very itchy everyday and I have noticed that it gets greasier quicker than it used to.

I use a low foaming non soap shampoo such as Urtekram (made in a factory using wind power :-D ) or Faith In Nature and matching conditioner. I like Aussie 3 Minute Miracle as a deep treatment with a shower cap and towel to keep it warm. 4 drops of Rosemary essential oil in your shampoo can help to strengthen your barnet too.
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:57 am

Medications can do a real number on your hair. Stress and lack of sleep will also create havoc on your hair.

I would try and find a Dr and stick with him/her. The problem with seeing too many different Dr's is that advice and medication really hasn't had time to work. Your sleep needs go be addressed. Getting a good sleep can make the world of difference to fibro patients.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby flicky » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi guys

Haven't posted before but just wanted to give some advise. I had been suffering with this for nearly a year my hair was getting thinner and
Thinner. I went to see my gp 3 times about this problem but he just gave me a blood test and said they all looked normal.

In the end my hairdresser told me to go and see a trichologist which is someone who specalize in hair. I know it cost a bit but I was
So scared in losing my hair

Basically to cut a long story short she said my iron levels were to low for good hair growth. Although they were just in rang medically
They were to low for decent hair to grow. Also my calcium was low.

She then put me on a iron tablet aimed at hair growth. I have been taking them for 6 months now and it is almost back to how it was.

I hope this helps but I would ask your gp to check levels.......

Good luck. Flicky x
flicky
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia