Insomnia

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Insomnia

Postby Fibro Fi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:13 am

Hi All,
This year I have really suffered from insomnia. Tonight, well this morning is another example where I have not slept a wink all night. This is the third time in 2 weeks. I took 20 mg of amitriptyline and 1 5htp tablet. I just seem to be in a really bad pattern. I won't be able to stay awake all day so I will end up sleeping either late morning or this afternoon. Going on the past few days, I will probably sleep tonight and spend the next few days catching up for it to happen all over again. I am trying not to stress about it as it might make it worse. My mind just doesn't switch off although tonight it wasn't going around as fast as it has, but still can't nod off. As its 5 am now I've just decided to give up. Does anyone else suffer like this and have you found a cure? Iam sure this is stopping me coming out of my current flare. Either that, or this is the new form of fibromyalgia for me. I just feel I am becoming more chronically ill as time goes on :cry:
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Re: Insomnia

Postby Citron Shake » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:27 am

I can't offer any advice or suggestions, I'm afraid, but can offer much fellow feeling. It's 5.30am and I've just given up. I have slept a bit but in very small doses so doing feel I've had any real rest. The pattern you describe is very familiar.
Citron Shake
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Fibro Fi ( & Citron shake) . Unfortunatly this is a well know symptom of Fm I'm afraid and many of us have suffered or are suffering with it .

HAve been to the doctor about it and have been told to have good sleep hygenie....no electronics in the room, go to bed at a set time every night, having had a bath and a milky drink. it seems after 3-4 weeks your body should have reset it's body clock and you will be ok! Just to add it didn't work for me just made me have a much more emotional flare up as I got so wound up about the sleep hygene away totally.
Another doc has given me Triasepam just to take in an emergency, it does help getting to sleep but does nothing for the waking up part of FM, which can be a real hassle. I just try now and use the time sucessfuly by doing things like tidying up the kitchen so its all clean for the rest of the house when they wake up . After about half and hour or so I tend to feel sleepy again and so go & catch up again with a few more Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Hope everthings work out for you, I think insomnia linked to FM is really bad and seems to make the pain the next day worse . If you haven't already try and see a GP to discuss your meds a bit more .

Take care

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby kazza65 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:45 am

Hi

I was like you but my doctor gave amtiplyne first at 10mg dose and said if that doesn't make you relax and sleep up it to 20mg and do the same over 3 days and then if you haven't slept up it again and so on untill you sleep. So at the moment i'm on 40mg at night and i do sleep. I take them about 9pm and by 10pm my eyelids are very heavy and i lay on sofa unitl i go to sleep. Then what eva time my hubby goes to bed he wakes me up to go, which is usually midnight, then i'mawake till 1am then must fall a sleep, then a wake at 4am and then the alarm go off at 6am for my hubby to go to work and get me up and dressed for the day. Also to leave my meals ready for the day and my meds for the day.

Hope this helps you

Karen xx
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Fibro Fi.... ask your Dr to refer you to a sleep clinic.

My Dr did and I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. It is very common with fibro patients. I was sleeping less than 15 minutes per hr with even less deep sleep.I also stop breathing every few minutes. I now use a CPAP machine and so far is working. I actually sleepnow etween 2 and 4 hrs....so peased!;!+)
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Fibro Fi wrote:Hi All,
This year I have really suffered from insomnia. Tonight, well this morning is another example where I have not slept a wink all night. This is the third time in 2 weeks. I took 20 mg of amitriptyline and 1 5htp tablet.

Please be very very careful when using meds/treatments that work on serotonin levels as mixing both prescribed meds and alternative/otc treatments can be a cause of Serotonin Syndrome, which is serious and may be potentially life~threatening. This linky has more info about it http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/s ... treatments

Rather than mixing them, talk to your GP about things, it could be that a change in dosage, or swapping to something similar could make a difference to things for you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia