calling all mums...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

calling all mums...

Postby Wackers34 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:09 pm

How do you entertain the kids with an illness like this? What little things do you do to make it easier...?
Do any of you work as well as being a mum?

As the summer holidays are coming up soon and i have some time off work to spend with the kids, I need some ideas for fun activities that are not too tiring.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

many thanks :-)
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: calling all mums...

Postby maxtomads » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:19 pm

I do treasure hunts with my 5-y-o grandsons. I've done quick sketch plans of the garden and various rooms in the house, and hide gold foil covered chocolate coins then mark the map with an 'X'. Garden in good weather, indoors in the rain. Also go to local fabric shop & get offcuts to make things with - eg cut out shapes and make dinosaurs, animals, etc. Also making small cakes for them to decorate, making bird feeders with wire & cheerios, growing seeds... All things they can do while I sit & supervise with minimal help.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Been a while since I did anything with smaller people as offspring is now a teenager, but he was a toddler when things first started appearing symptom~wise (reading that now makes me feel really old :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Need my :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: to hug)

To make things more manageable, we'd set ourselves up with the sofa as our base and have a range of things to do, from more active things such as some of his favourite toys thru to quieter ones like something to read or colour in (neither of us were very craft/art inclined, but rather science influenced :roll: :roll: :roll: ) We'd start off with something fairly involved, but when I started to reach my limit, we'd then change to something a little less active and involved, but still fun, enjoyable.

If I had had more than offspring to do things with, I think finding something that could be linked together for them would have been the way to go for us as the facts behind each activity would be similar whilst at the same time allowing each child to explore their own interests.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:42 pm

How old are your children?

I have 5 grandchildren under 10, they are here quite a bit. I think kids are happy if you are just there with them, watching and praising them in what they do. we live in an area where there is no public transportation at all so going anywhere unless grandpa is here is impossible. Things they all enjoy

.....going for walks and really look at what is out there
.....we take the camera and take pics of unusual buildings, Look Up...so much is missed by not looking up.I we talk about age, design, who might have lived there etc.)
pictures of trees, birds, bugs. The kids catch insects
.....if you have a market, go and get items for a different type of picnic and let the kids prepare whatever they like
.....I always have a stock of small wooden things they can paint, bird houses etc. We save those for rainy days
.....put the tent up in the back garden and sleep out (even though they camp almost every weekend they never tire)
.....take them fishing. I am not sure of regulations in UK but kids can fish in any lake or river without a license here
.....the kids like bike riding, once in a while I can do a short distance myself, LOL
These are just easy, free things my grandchildren enjoy. Now when grandpa is home with the vehicle and wallet, LOL we load up and go to museums, water parks, take the boat out...unlimited things to do.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:10 pm

I wasn't DX when my children were tiny but remember the feeling of being so fatigued that I need to rest on the sofa. This was then my base and every one knew I was there if needed. We are lucky to have a garden and so I was able to rest and watch them as they played

My DD & friend use to pretend they worked in a beauty salon. So they had old make up they could use and each got half my face to beautifie. The results were so funny , it took them ages to do but I managed a good rest lol They are now 16 but still talk about it.

Another idea is to buy the 24 undecorated fair cakes and then use icing tubes , writing jelly, edible decorations like coloured strands etc to decorate with thier own design. Then you have a cuppa and rest again lol

Not very arty so had to improvise, got a few stencils from Early learning Centre (is it still available) or somewhere similar . Then once they had decided what to colour they drew around the design They then had to get old magazines and they used to cut them up and use the different colour to "paint" thier picture , kept them amused for ages.

Also sang and danced to nursery ryhmes using kitchen stuff as instruments (I sat and was the conductor) and then as they grew older would have made up a show/dance for the adults to watch This was from about 3 plus and then onward
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby san229 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi
Our holidays start in a few days time here in Scotland and as you may well know our weather can be hit and miss during the summer. I have a four and a half year old and a thirteen year old.
The type of things that we do are making Salt Dought which they you can play with it like Plastercine ~ I can hear you say why not get Play Doh or Plastercine well the fun is in the making. Take a baking bowl 2 cups flour to 1 cup salt and add water. Kids love the mess!! We also make Paper Mache, we had a castle last year made out of different size boxes, lets their imagination run wild. We have the obligatory jammie days and on these days we have a bed picnic (good if you are having a bad day). I let the little one decide what she wants and she helps to make the picnic. Then we put her Nanna's tartan rug on the bed and put on a movie. If you are in the UK go to a Pound Shop they are great for picking things up, art materials, jigsaws etc.... Dressing up is another good thing, especially if its wee girls you have

If its nice outside the kids play in the garden. Unfortunately I can't walk very far but I can still drive a short distance, so I take them to the local park. On the nice days their Nanna or Aunt will take them for me.

Hope these ideas help you,

Sandra xx
san229
UKFM Newbie

Postby Wackers34 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:45 pm

wow thanks for all the ideas...

I have son 4 and daughter 2..they are nearly 5 and 3 though.

Love the treasure hunt idea, my kids would love this!!! Finding games are definitely their favourites

Will try the salt dough also, great idea...we have play doh, but making it is so much more fun...also great one with the fairy cake idea and then let them decorate them.

Yes I have terrible fatigue also, so sofa is often my base..I can sometimes take them to park or soft play if I can muster enough energy...forgot to mention I will be on my own with them as hubby not on leave
Wackers34
UKFM Member

calling all mums...

Postby pinky1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:30 pm

My daughter is just 2, recently she's been playing more in the garden and I'll sit and watch and try to play a bit. We did salt dough at Christmas, great fun! She loves to colour! We go for walks, it's quite handy that she walks slowly haha. The iPad and DVDs are a blessing when I need to clean or just need a seat. We read a lot too!

I love taking her swimming but the last time I was in agony the next day.

It's hard work on my own but even harder with a chronic illness!
X
pinky1
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:34 am

Whatever you do I am sure you will have fun and your children will be happy just to have you with them. I hope your hubby comes home soon
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:47 pm

i have a 17 15 12 and one year old .so i no al the im bored even thou my elder kids now im not well they still moan sometimes .now as your kids are young a pop up ball pit there on sale atm in argos. can go in the garden on if raining in the house. make a tent under the dining room table and let them have there dinner under there. bug hunt in the garden make fatball for the birds ,potato printing,make there own pin wheels. can do any of these things sitting down .pasta painted colors and make necklace ,or pasta pictures .hope this helps some xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby stodgers » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:59 pm

I have a 5 yr old and now a newborn. We do craft stuff at the table, card games, board games, drawing etc and then get out and about when we can
stodgers
UKFM Member

Postby ITbird » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 pm

I agree with everyone else who says do things sitting at a table or on the sofa. Crafts, jigsaws, baking etc. If I'm feeling particularly bad then I get popcorn, snacks and drinks and rent a movie. I get my kids up on the sofa with me and we have a stay at home movie date!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Fletch x
ITbird
UKFM Member

Postby E-Bunny » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi,

I am a single mum of 2.. Luckily my daughter is now 13 and my son will be 12 in october !

I ahve only just been dx with FM, but have been suffering for a while. It started around January this year, sleep became difficult as i began suffering awful pain during the night and was waking up more tired than i went to bed ! house work became difficult, and just even walking up the stairs felt like climbing a mountain =(.. I went to a funeral of an uncle, that is when i really knew something was wrong !! My skin became extremely sensitive to touch, a simple stroke across my skin was really painfull, even my clothes were causing pain.

This episode of overly sensitive skin happened again in the beginning of June.. So i went to A&E, after spending 12 hours, and a dx of shingles ( twice in 4 months with no rash ? ) i went straight to my GP whilst it was still really bad. The locum there dx me with fibro, although i am still waiting to see a Rhumatologist.

I work full time, on a pc programming cnc machines ! I am suffering pain through my back, legs and arms all day long, and when i return home im in no fit state to do anything, so the house work hss kind of gone out the window lol..

Luckily my kids are of the age that they can entertain themslves ( my son is glued to the xbox lol ), so thankfully i am able to just chill ( and most often crash out ) on the sofa..

I have no clue why this has happened, or what has triggered it.. I think maybe the stress and shock of being dx with epilepsy in July last yr may have something to do with it.. It is also something i have not come to terms with yet !

I hope that you find a way to cope, and wish you the best of luck finding a way to controll your pain and fatigue so that you can fully enjoy your time with your kids.

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Postby lolo73 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:03 pm

My children are 4+5 and have only ever known me to have chronic pain. They tend to be quite good at entertaining themselves and just coming to me occasionally. We have a large garden with a lot of play equipment, we have a lot of friends always willing to meet up and I am lucky to have my in-laws who are around a day or 2 a week. I don't feel guilty for having a quiet day and putting a DVD or two on. We have a lot of jigsaws and games and with them being of a similar age they can play together. This holiday we are going away for 2 weeks right in the middle which will help me greatly.

Do check out free stuff going on, like the Woodland Trust or local parks often have stuff. We have a free magazine which tells you what is going on. The local museum has different themes each week which is worth going to. The cinemas do cheap viewings in the mornings, which takes you until lunchtime, it fills a good bit of the day without costing a huge amount. Our local school has sports clubs going on at a cost of £8 for a full day, if money allows this is quite good value (too expensive for me). I try and focus all my energy on the kids and try to ignore other things I would normally do. I also find play dates or having friends over helps a lot because the kids are keen to play with friends. I tend to stick to the spoon theory with my energy levels, prioritising what needs me most. I would say roll on September but I have a big birthday then, so I will decline from saying that!
lolo73
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia