Does Physio really help

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does Physio really help

Postby kitten » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:04 pm

I have had 5 sessions of physio on my neck and back for muscle spasms . last week when I went ,the physio spend time trying to massage the knots out of my back and up the back of my neck , for two days after ,I had a wheat bag round my neck, and went to bed at 9 with a hot water bottle to put at the back of my head , went for some more physio today and was told that my back and neck was very tight I asked her if this was doing any good told her what had happend last week, her reply was well tell the other physio and maybe he can suggest something else or discharge you ,
where do you go from there
kitten
UKFM Member

Re: Does Physio really help

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:17 pm

kitten wrote:I have had 5 sessions of physio on my neck and back for muscle spasms . last week when I went ,the physio spend time trying to massage the knots out of my back and up the back of my neck , for two days after ,I had a wheat bag round my neck, and went to bed at 9 with a hot water bottle to put at the back of my head , went for some more physio today and was told that my back and neck was very tight I asked her if this was doing any good told her what had happend last week, her reply was well tell the other physio and maybe he can suggest something else or discharge you ,
where do you go from there

This is what happens having fibromyalgia.

As soon as the physio has ended your body will start to tighen itself back up so by the next time you go your back your back to square one. This is also another reason why the NHS will discharge you as they cannot fund on going physio that will only be of benefit for such a short while.

Im suprised and happy to see there actually doing hands on therapy as many fibros nowadays get an exercise plan and discharged.

I have been having physio for over 10 years and have to pay privatly as NHS cannot fund the treatment i consistantly need.

You will be very sore for a few days after and possible flare until it all settles down.

Thing is we need the physio to release the knots and thightness even if it is short lived because when left it causes all sorts of problems especially pain and limited movement in joints.

I feel they may discharge you seeing that your back will just tighten back up again after sessions.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby kitten » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi Lisa

everything you have said is right , I have now got a headache my back aches and my neck ,have got pains up the side of my neck and eye,

have put Voltarol which I got off the GP have got a scarf on at the moment , looks like it's the wheat bag again just like last week all over again
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby chookie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:05 pm

Professional Swedish Massage by a qualified therapist or Hot Stone Therapy would be of immense help, wish I was near you to help you out :(
Fibromyalgia, M.E, IBS, General Anxiety Disorder, Dyspraxia, Discalculia
chookie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Kitten....physio helps a lot of people I know. Like any type of excercise it will hurt at the beginning and with fibro hurt a few days after. We need to keep our bodies moving. I cannot tolerate any kind of massage. Just someone manipulating me is immediate pain. I do light excercise and walk as much as I can.

Kitten....keep up the physio, if it helps for a few days it is a bonus.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia